Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Right Now Might be the Best Time to be Collecting for N64
Topic Started: May 3 2017, 08:47 PM (1,520 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@Grizzmeister: One of those times I wish we had a thumbs down button. That stinks. I've often wondered how much stolen stuff is fenced though eBay . . . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
May 16 2017, 12:26 PM
@Grizzmeister: One of those times I wish we had a thumbs down button. That stinks. I've often wondered how much stolen stuff is fenced though eBay . . . . .
What really upsets me is that I had intended to give one of my duplicate N64 games away as a gift to someone who extended me a kindness.

Sorry to derail the topic but I felt like I needed to vent. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hmm, i can't help but think that was the way FoxData felt when they gave away one of their unique consoles under false pretenses. More on that later.

No need to feel sorry mate. These stories are interrelated.

The term 'derailed' gets a bad rap.
I'd like to think that we are one of these guys!

Posted Image
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
May 16 2017, 08:53 PM
Hmm, i can't help but think that was the way FoxData felt when they gave away one of their unique consoles under false pretenses. More on that later.
I can't wait to hear the whole story. :huh:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Grizzmeister
May 16 2017, 09:03 PM
No64DD
May 16 2017, 08:53 PM
I can't wait to hear the whole story. :huh:
I've also been quite interested to hear about that but it seems like the mods wanted to keep it pretty hush due to some possible legal threats (which is complete BS and has no place on this board, shame on those threatening this community).

As for "derailing" this topic, considering I started the topic I mostly just wanted to see what everybody was feeling about the current state of N64 collecting in general and maybe seeing a new spark in the scene (or maybe show me the spark I've been missing out on). Feel free for any discussion that follows the site rules :yeah: :n64:
Edited by i8ablueskittle, May 16 2017, 10:29 PM.
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Not to worry mate! :P
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bdnick2572
Member Avatar
Collecting for me has slowed way down due to prices and not having as much free time to play the games now that im out of college and have a full time job and my interest have shifted to more of my everyday needs to survive in the real world. The biggest reason ive slowed down tho is because I have all the N64 games I absolutely want, the rest are just fillers to complete my set so im more patient looking for deals and games to turn up in the wild now.

As for the foxdata thing I cant wait to hear the story as well. Ive been curious as to how the whole story played out and how Foxdata kinda re-emerged out of nowhere with all these consoles and controllers, and how the lucky few that ended up with them were chosen to recieve them.
Edited by bdnick2572, May 17 2017, 02:29 PM.
NTSC Games: 189/296
J-NTSC Boxed Games: 71/196

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
bdnick2572
May 17 2017, 02:27 PM
As for the foxdata thing I cant wait to hear the story as well. Ive been curious as to how the whole story played out and how Foxdata kinda re-emerged out of nowhere with all these consoles and controllers, and how the lucky few that ended up with them were chosen to recieve them.
I don't personally think 'lucky' is the appropriate word to be using in relation to this subject. In fact, personally, I would say to the contrary. But you can make your own decision when you have more information.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Okay, for now, this is less about FoxData and more about an individual.

Does anyone remember the Mahogany N64 console that was showcased here?
Well, former member Solojones64 stated that he would be recieving it to auction off at a charity event. The proceeds would benefit a six year old girl suffering from stage 4 liver cancer.
It would help towards medical bill costs.
Although upon recieving it, his story started to change.

Wether it be his instagram following of over fifty thousand, which would help get the word out about this poor little girl's condition; none of his behavior seemed to pertain to the girl or the charity anymore.
In fact, he never had any intention of selling it and somehow convinced FoxData with the same story of good will, just to be able to own this console for himself.

Brooklyn, the little girl, did get a transplant and is now cancer free.
Both my parents have been dealing with cancer, so i personally know how good this news really is and what it means. :yeah:

There was in fact a fundraiser that took place in March in New York City in her honor.
It was held and organized by actual legitimate collectors who did auction off valued video game items. One of which was a Gamecube kiosk.
Solojones, nor his FoxData console were present. From the looks of it, he had very little involvement.

I hope we do see more awesome people coming to our forum, bubble or not, which is why i wanted to bring awareness to a certain demographic- the con artist.

Sure, both parties would most likely have their own versions of the sequence and details of events, but the fact of the matter is that the fundraiser was halfway across the country from where this FoxData console still resides.
He piggybacked and capitalized on the idea of using cancer to inspire sympathy, but in the end was only used to excite his own fanbase.

It's a shame that FoxData was taken in by this individual, and i feel bad.
One could also say that two wrongs don't make a right.
Competition, or being competitive with others is one thing, but what he did is beyond the pale!

In closing, i would like to consider a few things.

I'm all for inclusion, to a point, but can we expect more of these kinds of collectors?
Is Instagram and the like contributing more and more to the "I'm the Best" narrative?

I hope this has helped add to this thread and perhaps springboard more discussion, but i do know that it is helping me get these things off my chest.
I appreciate it.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by No64DD, May 17 2017, 08:36 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bdnick2572
Member Avatar
Milage007
May 17 2017, 03:27 PM
bdnick2572
I don't personally think 'lucky' is the appropriate word to be using in relation to this subject. In fact, personally, I would say to the contrary. But you can make your own decision when you have more information.
With that information id still say theyre lucky to have the console, but definitely not deserving of it! Solo had been rumored to scam people on his raffles and give aways before so its a shame FoxData was unaware of this and the console didnt get sold for charity purposes . I had heard about the charity on instagram and had no idea thats the reason he was given one of the consoles.
Edited by bdnick2572, May 17 2017, 05:23 PM.
NTSC Games: 189/296
J-NTSC Boxed Games: 71/196

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Yeah, and i'm one of those few. :rofl:
Edited by No64DD, May 17 2017, 08:56 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
bdnick2572
May 17 2017, 05:22 PM
Milage007
May 17 2017, 03:27 PM
bdnick2572
With that information id still say theyre lucky to have the console, but definitely not deserving of it! Solo had been rumored to scam people on his raffles and give aways before so its a shame FoxData was unaware of this and the console didnt get sold for charity purposes . I had heard about the charity on instagram and had no idea thats the reason he was given one of the consoles.

Have a look at this. This is what I am talking about. Have a read and draw your own conclusion.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/9009181/1/#new
Edited by Milage007, May 17 2017, 11:19 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

jonebone
Member Avatar
Solo is obviously a giant douchebag, but to make fun of an entire community (IG) because of one bad apple is a bit silly. You have to evolve as a collector as time change.

Pre 2010 you could find a lot in the wild. More so pre 2005, but before 2010 was still good. You can still try now but you will strike out many, many, many more times than you will hit. Same goes to Craigslist.

eBay has always been viable, but it is more saturated than ever. Every collector has to use it at some point though.

I had good experiences with Amazon until about 2015 but now there's so many reproductions out there and fake listing that I don't bother much.

Facebook was extremely lucrative up until 2015 too, all sorts of groups and great deals to be had. There's still good deals on there sometimes but they go very quick now.

Now it's IG. I've have lots of good grabs off IG from trading with other collectors, or just by marketing myself. If I post something for sale on IG and on forums, I can get a sale on IG within minutes, as opposed to hours or days on forums. I don't need to care about the community as whole there, or try to compete with the attention whores, but I do think it is very important to network with as many fellow collectors as you can. I've met plenty of IG-only collectors, people I would have never seen on forums or elsewhere.

Ultimately it's up to you where you participate, but forums are dying and never coming back. The average forum user is probably 30+ now and the younger crew has zero interest. I just wonder what the "next thing" will be, we're due for one of those every 5 years or so.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
jonebone
May 18 2017, 04:22 AM
Ultimately it's up to you where you participate, but forums are dying and never coming back. The average forum user is probably 30+ now and the younger crew has zero interest. I just wonder what the "next thing" will be, we're due for one of those every 5 years or so.
The younger crew seems to be more in to emulation on their high-end PC's or on the diminutive Raspberry Pi than they are in to collecting physical games. I think the "next thing" is already here and that's why many forums dedicated to collecting physical media are ghost towns nowadays.

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Man, i feel old. Great points all around!
It's good that forums are still around or else we wouldn't get to have these conversations. I hear that the Assembler forum is coming back up.
They are in a league of their own but i'm thankful to see places like that still around.

And yes, it is the bad apples that always get under my skin.
I apologize.
Edited by No64DD, May 18 2017, 10:00 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hahaha I was wondering what happened to that tool Solo. Never liked that dude and always got a good laugh when everyone would roast him on Instagram. A real shame though that he had to use that girl to his advantage just to get a Foxdata console...
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
With the recent proliferation of counterfeits in to the N64 collecting market, confidence has taken a serious hit. Now unless a game or peripheral can be authenticated beyond a shadow of a doubt there's a ceiling as to how high its value can go. Because of that there's little reason to believe that prices will continue to escalate to the stratospheric levels that some NeoGeo games attained, as an example. Ultimately that might dissuade would-be collectors from diving in to the N64 market in the first place. Ironically, that could make producing counterfeits less lucrative which in-turn may help stabilize the market in the end. :lol:

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: