Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBA Playgrounds; Arcade BBall on Switch
Topic Started: May 9 2017, 10:11 AM (318 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Posted Image

When I played NBA Hangtime for Beats Em All, I was hit by a wave of nostalgia, not only for the NBA players I watched in college and then the pros, but also for silly arcade basketball, the brand of fun Double Dribble offered my brother and me for hours on end. Seems sports games are now obsessed with realism with a pace of play to match.

Enter NBA Playgrounds, which releases today on the Switch (and other platforms) on the eShop ($20). It looks to be the second coming of NBA Hangtime or Jam. 2 vs 2 action; caricatures stars of today and retro greats doing all sorts of crazy dunks. Apparently, as you win you get packs of cards, which then unlocks new players. Color me intrigued. It will, of course, come down to gameplay, but I am excited about this one.

Is this on anyone else's radar?

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Looks awesome!
"Nintendo, with the switch" 🏀
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
These sort of arcade sports games died down really hard after the 90's. I hope this turns out to be good even though I can't play it

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@No64DD: when you start the game, you get 3 packs of cards containing 5 cards each. These are the players you can use for and against you. I thought of you when I got LaMarcus Aldridge. Presently using him and Tim Hardaway, though I may go Chris Mullen and Patrick Ewing as a "nodd" to the old Big East.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hahaha. Nice!

It's interesting that they didn't put any SPURS in the graphic. They are killing it right now! 👊
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wildfiremicro
Member Avatar
Established Member
I Missed when the NBA games were innovative and unique like NBA Street and NBA Ballers so I might check it out
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Some some interesting feedback on NBA Playgrounds. I gifted it to my 12 year old nephew. He and my brother were completely obsessed over it this weekend; loved the arcade action and the player rosters.

My son was really intrigued and played a bunch of games, but was really frustrated by the shooting. He kept missing short shots and losing to the computer. This is apparently being fixed as part of the first patch (which is first being made to the PC version).

I'm struggling in the finals of the 3rd tourney, where Blake Griffin and Chris Paul are hitting "Perfect" shot after perfect shot. I'll keep at it.....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
NBA Playgrounds sounds like a pretty nifty game. Makes me very happy that lighthearted sports titles are making a comeback. I have grand memories of playing these three on the N64 with my friends.

Posted Image
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Grizzmeister: Three treasures right there!!! And people keep comparing NBA Playgrounds to NBA Jam, but it really is the spiritual successor to NBA Hangtime.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Yesterday, Saber announced that Switch owners of this game who buy before the first patch is released will get a FREE copy of Shag Fu: Legend Reborn when it launches later this year. Saber is a TINY company that created a fantastic game and seems like its been working around the clock to patch and fix and update the game across four platforms; seems like we are just waiting on Nintendo's approval at this point. And buying before online play will allow you to get some good players and power them up, so if you were thinking about this one, here some incentive to pull the trigger.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
This is a 6/1 facebook post from Matt Karch, the developer:

"Switch patch on online is long done. The story of why you don't have it is another story entirely, but it is coming and hopefully soon . . . ."
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
The Switch update released yesterday!!! Online mode is now available, as are new and exciting players. Finally!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Hey, a “new” version of NBA Playgrounds just lauched for Switch. It has some of the additional features of the XBox/PS4 version. It is FREE to existing owners, and on sale for $10 for a limited time. You can then delete the old version.

While the Switch version is clearly not the definitive version, it is a fun game.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Nintendo Switch · Next Topic »
Add Reply