Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What's Your Major Interest (Beyond Gaming)?; Rebooting "More About You" Series
Topic Started: May 10 2017, 01:41 PM (966 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hello all. I thought it might be a good time to revive my old discussion series.

*I am looking for future themes/topics, If you have any ideas please submit them to the topic in the "Announcement" section*

This topic was suggested by Bluedogrulez! (Thanks buddy)

I know most of you, like myself, spend a fair amount of time gaming. It has been a gigantic part of my life. It has brought me some of my very best friends, and even my wife! :lol: BUT... Most of us probably have or have had other great passions in our lives. I would love to hear about them. We might find out some of us have more in common than we realize.

My biggest passion outside of gaming over the last 20 years has without a doubt been martial arts. Up until about 3 years ago it consumed a lot of my time. I took for years, and taught for a few years. At one point I even taught weekly classes. I started with basic Karate, but quickly began mixing styles in the mid 90's. UFC's early years helped fuel my interest in MMA. I took for 5 years for 2-3 hours a day. I extensively studied Karate, Wing Chun/Jeet Kune Do, Muay Thai, BJJ/Judo, Aikido, & submission wrestling. I began recompiling and organizing what I had learned in 2005 with the intentions of opening a school of my own. The system was called Adaptive Combat Training, or A.C.T. MMA. I ended up having to use my savings for something else though, and that opportunity passed. In 2009 I was asked to start teaching. I taught a group of 5 guys weekly for 3 hours every Friday night. I was forced to stop though when my current job didn't provide enough free time to keep it up and get to see my family enough.

Other big interests in my life -
I used to really enjoy drawing, painting, sculpting, & computer graphics. One interest some of you may find odd is collecting and shooting guns. My family is a bunch of gun nuts. I learned to shoot very young. I learned as much as I could about different types of firearms, and how to work on them. I also really enjoyed fantasy football for a few years. Much like MMA, it took up too much time to be successful :lol:

More recently I have found fish keeping to be a very fun hobby. I went fish tank crazy, as some of you probably noticed. I didn't touch a video game for near three months. I love watching them, learning about them, planning for/setting up new systems.

So what is it for the rest of you all? Sports? Cars? Wood working???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I obsess a bit over a few hobbies (including NYY, fantasy baseball and football, coaching youth sports). But I really am enjoying resuming my softball "career". I play shortstop, and nothing connects me to my youth more than making a diving stop, getting to me feet and firing the ball to first for the out. Sounds a bit mad, but when you get old and out of shape, it is fun to be able to do something (anything!) I could 20+ years ago.

I played in a league when I was 32 through age 36, and we won a championship. Then the twins came and that was it for softball (and that town).

Last Fall, I formed a team in our new town. I begged, I pleaded with just about anyone I knew or remotely knew in town to play. We cobbled together a team of great guys that hadn't been on a diamond in 20+ years, and got smoked week after week by ridiculously good teams (remember, this is 40+ year olds). But then there was a real special moment.

I think we were 0-12 and lost the first game of a doubleheader (and one of our solid players to a leg injury). We were really down. We went into the last inning of the second game behind a run. We got a few hits and then a fly ball that should have tied the game. But the runner on third forgot to tag and did not score. Once of the guys on our team, wanting so desperately to win, lost it. But we still had 1 out left, 2 on, and it was my turn to hit.

I jumped on the first pitch and sent it high and deep to left. The left fielder extended his arm but watched the ball sail past him. The runners scored, we FINALLY won, and I got mobbed at home plate as if we just won the World Series. It was really fun and a moment we still talk about . . . and lead to us forming a Spring team.

We split out first doubleheader of the Spring, which meant not having to wait 12 or so games to get our first win. Hoping a few more wins and a few more memorable moments are in store for our team.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
That was awesome to read bluedog. I feel like it should be made in to a movie :yeah:

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I want to try and keep mine as concise as possible so I'll sort of put mine in bullet point form and hopefully people can read between the lines.

-Playing football (soccer) - I play twice a week once with work friends once with friends outside of work.

-My dog. I love spending time with my dog, walking him, playing fetch with him, taking him new places with my girlfriend and on exciting days out to the seaside etc.

-I also like to follow my fairly local football (soccer) team, Aston Villa.

-I like travelling, going to new places, in June I will be spending 3 nights in Berlin, Germany, with friends which I am looking forward to. Have been to the states the last two years with my girlfriend the first all around the west coast and surrounding area and most recently to New York City. Loved every minute of my time over there. Truly amazing place.

-I enjoy going to the gym and keeping in shape. I go 2-3 times a week with my brother. It's a good outlet for stress etc and very satisfying after a good work out.

-Family time in general. As we all know, life is short, and it's about spending time when you can with your loved ones, and given how fragile life is, anything could change at any moment, so always try and make the extra effort to make sure family time is sufficiently made and consequently enjoyed.

-I am a gamer of course but I do enjoy collecting a bit of N64 loot as well. I have made so many new friends on the forum and off and all through mutual love of the N64 some 19 years on since I originally had mine. It's awesome!

-I enjoy watching tv, films etc as well.

-As a homeowner keeping the house in tip-top shape, taking on new projects like painting fences, or painting front doors, laying new flooring in the bathroom etc all stuff I have never done before (apart from fence painting) but you do your research and your prep and you learn and surprise yourself. It's very satisfying once you set targets and achieve them domestically.

-Spending time with my immediate family who I live with, so my girlfriend and our dog.
Edited by Milage007, May 11 2017, 12:55 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
That is a good, well rounded batch of stuff, milage! Lots of family in there, and you can't beat family time. Watching my daughter experience new and exciting things has really become a top priority for my wife and I. Diverse experiences are very important, especially since we home school! :yeah:

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I hope this isn't going too far down the controversial road, but it's no secret my Christian faith is probably the biggest part of my life. Everything else I do, including gaming, really flows down from that. It is through my faith that I have also grown to enjoy studying theology, philosophy and psychology. It's helped me to get a better grasp of why I believe what I believe as well as working towards understanding others better.

I might be going to grad school to get my master's in teaching starting this summer. Thinking about that and particularly the field I want to go in, English, has brought back in me a love for stories. I can't say it ever really left, as I watch a lot of tv and enjoy following some shows with a deep plot, like Steven Universe, and relating it to the stuff of life. I guess I'm just more conscious about it now after looking at C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien more.

Also, my favorite shows are Designing Women and the Mary Tyler Moore show :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Certainly no controversial road taken there. That is great.

I also love the Bible, and my faith is central to how I try to look at everything and treat everyone.

I should have mentioned that archaeology & history are also two major interests of mine. I enjoy reading and learning all I can. Love good documentaries also :yeah:

Wildfiremicro
Member Avatar
Established Member
I love collecting and reading. My favorite books are the Harry Potter series
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w

sanni
Member Avatar
I love riding my "KTM Ultra 1964" mountain bike. Exploring the local woods on dirt roads feels adventurous while at the same time it has a very soothing effect on me that prolongs throughout the days. :yeah:
Before that I had a road bike and after each session I was just totally done for and often also sunburned. Everything did just hurt. :-/
I guess with sports it's the same as with everything else in life, just try many different things until one sticks with you.

And no I totally did not just make that name up. :n64: :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
This is probably a little boring but aside from collecting and playing games, I also have a large collection of DVDs and blu-rays. And much like the games, I hava a massive backlog of movies to watch eventually. :wacko:

And that's really it. I have dipped my toes in collecting toys, comics, books, sports cards and other things but games and movies bring me the most enjoyment and interactivity.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I guess you could just say my other interest is just "old stuff". Mostly old electronics and vehicles. If you follow my twitter @kartmaster then you've probably seen a lot of it ad nauseam.

I love picking up something that's past it's prime, shining it up, fixing it up and putting it back into service.

Got an old clock radio for $3 that now works and sounds amazing! Have several other old radios and phonographs.
Posted Image

Also just finally got a fitting table for Andrea's Great Great Grandmother's 1920's Victrola.
Posted Image

I have a couple old cars. And the old Ride King mower!
Posted Image

On the bucket list are an old arcade cabinet, a vintage PC, and a VCR to watch some Jurassic Park on VHS!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
I have an older clock radio as well, it uses a Telechron movement instead of quartz. Best alarm clock I've ever had.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Nice collection of stuff there, kartmaster :yeah:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Jun 7 2017, 10:11 PM
I love picking up something that's past it's prime, shining it up, fixing it up and putting it back into service.
I love doing that too. :yeah:

To that end, I often end up watching hours of restoration videos. Old cars, broken down furniture and vintage stereo equipment make for perfect restoration projects and the results can be quite rewarding. Take a look at what this young lady was able to accomplish.

DIY | How To SLAY a Furniture Makeover!!!!

Turned pretty nice, huh? Bet she could sell it for a handsome profit. ;)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Man, that's impressive! One of my life goals is to get better at wood working and wood finishing. Such a satisfying material to work with when it all comes together.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Meditation. I used to be into all the Eastern ideologies but I eventually came to realise that the benefits of meditation are actually independent of human ideologies. When you get super focused on it and do it a lot some amazing stuff can happen.
My CRT thread:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
kartmaster
Aug 3 2017, 08:03 AM
Man, that's impressive! One of my life goals is to get better at wood working and wood finishing. Such a satisfying material to work with when it all comes together.
One of my old neighbors buys used furniture off of Craig's List, refinishes it or just cleans it up and then resells for a profit. He told me he made close to $100,000 one year doing that. :o

Ironically, that's kinda what got me back in to the N64. Around 2011 I started seeing broken game consoles on CL for free or next to nothing so I began fixing them. My problem is that I never want to part with any of them once they're restored. :-8
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
Weight lifting, cars, paintball, and messing with computers!
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
"What's Your Major Interest (Beyond Gaming)?"

Technology. I'm interested in everything from advancements in photonics as they relate to increases in transmission rates across fiber optics to remote neural manipulation via radio waves. Lately I've been tracking the progress in home theater sound systems from traditional surround sound to more immersive formats like Dolby's Atmos.

By the way, I've been considering starting a thread here titled "Random Technological Advancements" where members can discuss new tech that catches their fancy. For example, we could probably have a wonderful exchange discussing the ethical implications of something like gene-editing which potentially poses an existential threat to every living thing on Earth. Cool, huh? :rofl:

Posted Image

Euroflash29
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have a couple interests beyond the realm of gaming

I collect CD's, Vinyl, and Cassettes however I also Collect DVD's and Manga ^_^
Posted Image Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Major intersts.... hmmm...

I guess I would say my work. I am an esthetician with Aveda, and am pretty involved it that! Namaste everybody!

I really enjoy going to my local arcade to play games and race on the go karts!

Since dating my husband I can add going to concerts on the list as well! Everytime Third Eye Blind and/or Butch Walker comes to town, we are there!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Euroflash and Mymee: seeing all the talk about music has reminded me that Iíve been getting more into musical analysis lately as a hobby myself. My more recent musings (no pun intended) have been on Fleetwood Mac and Simon & Garfunkel and how both are superior lyrically to most of what the Beatles put out. I donít wanna sound like one of the obnoxious forms of a hipster but Iím starting to see why people think the Beatles are overrated.

@Grizzmeister: Do it, man! Iíve had some thoughts about cloning that I need to get off my chest :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 03:52 AM
@Grizzmeister: Do it, man! Iíve had some thoughts about cloning that I need to get off my chest :)
Industrial scale cloning is a reality right now and there was never really any meaningful debate before moving forward. The news program 60 Minutes recently did a piece about polo horses that are clones of an original champion named Cuartetera.

A new era of cloning is here - on the polo field

Imagine if the New England Patriots cloned Tom Brady so that they could continue winning Super Bowls in perpetuity. :blink:

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Whoa... clones really creep me out.

Fleetwood Mac and Simon & Garfunkle are so good! Speaking of some old good lyrics... I put in my Blood, Sweat, and Tears best hits yesterday. Ahh.... good old days. Where's a DeLorean when you need one ;)
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I absolutely love Fleetwood Mac, too. Sad to hear that things have soured with them and Lindsey Buckingham once more. I always adored the element that Lindsey and Stevie Nicks brought to the group. Also, am I the only one who prefers 80s Fleetwood Mac to any other era of theirs? Probably. :rofl:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
MymeeN64
Apr 10 2018, 08:47 AM
Whoa... clones really creep me out.
Clones seem rather tame once you find out what scientists are doing with gene-editing nowadays. :phear:

Imagine gene-edited neo-humans roaming the planet who are both smarter and healthier than Homo Sapiens of today. Current advancements in gene-editing can make that a reality by editing out diabetes and Alzheimer from our DNA. The increased intelligence could come from making the connections between regions of the brain more efficient and/or by enlarging the cerebral cortex. Scientist can even make these neo-humans, which I like to call 'Homo Contra Naturam' Latin for unnatural man, easily identifiable by adding a gene from jelly fish that would make these GMO people glow in the dark. :o

Oh, when I'm not gaming another one of my major interests is cooking various meats on my gas grill. :D

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Grizzmeister
Apr 13 2018, 07:10 AM
Oh, when I'm not gaming another one of my major interests is cooking various meats on my gas grill. :D
Do tell! Give us some meats you like to grill . . . hoping for a surprise or two.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Apr 13 2018, 07:38 AM
Grizzmeister
Apr 13 2018, 07:10 AM
Do tell! Give us some meats you like to grill . . . hoping for a surprise or two.
I haven't grilled up anything too exotic like eel or rattlesnake yet although I've had consistently good results with tilapia and salmon.

For the tilapia I put a drizzle of light olive oil on it with a touch of Lawry's lemon pepper seasoning and grill until the edges are crispy and the thickest part of the fish turns white. Maybe about four minutes per side. Extremely simple and it comes out tasting very natural and delicious. Sometimes I just season the tilapia with salt and then cut it up in strips after it's cooked to use with fish tacos. Since tilapia is so mild it's fantastic on a warm corn tortilla topped with cilantro and fresh homemade guacamole. Yum!

Salmon is a little more challenging but the results are well worth the extra effort. Usually I start by marinading the fish in the refrigerator for about an hour in a honey teriyaki sauce. Then I coat the grates on my grill liberally with PAM so the salmon doesn't stick when I first lay it down on the flesh side. The grill is very hot at around 500 degrees Fahrenheit and this sears in the oils of the fish while also caramelizing the sugars of the marinade. After about 6 minutes I flip the fish on to the skin side and let it cook another 6 minutes. By this time the PAM has vaporized and is no longer effective but that's okay because I only loose the skin of the salmon which remains stuck to the grates after I scrape out the succulent flesh. I've got the process pretty much mastered so that the salmon tears away perfectly from the skin and comes off the grill looking like something you'd get at a five star restaurant. Believe me when I tell you that this recipe produces such a wonderful end result that I've had people who don't even like salmon say it's the tastiest thing they've ever eaten in their entire life. Pairs very well with long grain wild rice and a glass of Shiraz red wine. :yeah:

Earlier this week I cooked up a near perfect 20 ounce top sirloin but steak doesn't present much of a challenge so I usually only cook it on the grill when I can't find something more interesting that's fresh.

Just remembered, another one of my interests is creative writing. :lol:

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Lately I have been getting more and more in to primitive bushcraft skills. Friction fires, shelter building, edible plants and medicines, and building snares and traps. Fun stuff :yeah:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
stinger9142
Jun 9 2018, 06:49 AM
Lately I have been getting more and more in to primitive bushcraft skills. Friction fires, shelter building, edible plants and medicines, and building snares and traps. Fun stuff :yeah:
Did the term "prepper" fall out of favor? ;)

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: