Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hello From New Zealand; Introduction and Questions
Topic Started: Jun 14 2017, 12:21 AM (292 Views)
danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Hey Tyler, welcome to the forum. You've definitely picked the right place if you love all things N64! :yeah:

I believe I can help out with a few of the questions you have. Firstly, you are correct, there are a total of 242 PAL N64 games. This is the combined number of releases from all European countries and Australia / New Zealand. However, not one of those countries had all 242 games, as each country is missing something.

The reason you might find some lists have more titles is probably because of 'regional variants'. This is where the same game is changed slightly for release in another country and these can be nice curiousities for collectors. One good example is Beetle Adventure Racing! and its Aussie exclusive variant HSV Adventure Racing!

Your question about the black border boxes is a little more complex to answer. The PAL regions were handled by two different main branches of Nintendo, Nintendo of Europe covered the European releases and Nintendo of Australia covered the Australian and New Zealand releases. In Europe a game's box art would come in one of two types, either they had a full black border around the artwork, or what I call a black panel on the right-hand side. The black border games are those that were distributed by Nintendo, not just the games they developed themselves but all the second party stuff like the Rareware games and a couple of others that they helped get a release in Europe such as Glover, Snowboard Kids and the Bomberman games. The black panel games, are for the third-party releases. For some reason, Nintendo of Europe decided to mix it up a bit and some of the later Nintendo releases feature full sized artwork, with no black borders or a black panel on the right-hand side.

Nintendo of Australia took a slightly different approach, all of their Nintendo distributed games have red panel, all of the third-party games have a black-panel. Adopting the artwork and style that Nintendo of America used expect they don't use any black panels. You have to be careful not to mistake the two, as they are not compatibile to play on PAL machines. PAL games will always say "PAL VERSION" on the front, usually the bottom-left corner. USA games will always have an ESRB rating. Once you know what to look for it becomes second nature so don't worry about it too much.

Here's some covers to help showcase what I mean. The top row are the UK releases; Super Mario 64 is has a black border, Banjo-Tooie has full sized artwork and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter has a black panel as it's a third-party game. Middle row are the Australian versions of those games. Bottom row is the North American versions of those games:
Posted Image

Now if you only want to own games with Aus / NZ packaging there's a few more things to discuss. It was required by law that any game released in Australia has to clearly display its rating from the Australian Classification Board. Typically if a game was released by a company that has a branch in Australia they would design and print unique boxes, this means the rating will be printed on the box itself. For everything else, which is the majority of games, they would be imported from somewhere in Europe, usually the UK, and they would just slap the necessary sticker on the front of the box.

With all this in mind and looking at your collection I can tell you where your games are from.

Aus / NZ:
- Blast Corps
- F-1 World Grand Prix
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Lylat Wars
- Pokémon Stadium
- Racing Simulation: Monaco Grand Prix
- Super Smash Bros.
- Wave Race 64 [w/ red stirp]

Europe:
- 1080° Snowboarding
- Body Harvest
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- F-1 World Grand Prix II
- International Superstar Soccer 98
- Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
- South Park
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
- Turok: Rage Wars
- Twisted Edge Snowboarding
- V-Rally Edition 99
- Wave Race 64 [w/ black borders]
- WWF War Zone

North America:
- Perfect Dark

To help you out with your collection, here's a list of all the Australian releases which have a red stirp:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7457132/1/

You should be aware that these Australian releases are sort after by colelctors down under and because of this the prices are often a lot higher than their European equivalent. Also if you are going for strictly the Aus / NZ releases my research has found there was about 7 PAL titles that were not released in that region.

One last thing, I noticed a few of your games have a sticker on them which I'm unfamilar with, any chance you could show me a close up of either Blast Corps, Lylat Wars or the red panel Wave Race 64? Thanks mate, and I hope this helps you out.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
You're welcome mate.

Looks like you've got the hang of things. Yes, your copy of Quake II is an Aus / NZ version, whereas Knife Edge is a European copy.

That sticker is very interesting, as it mentions Auckland it clearly means you have a New Zealand variant there. Admittedly, I've not done much on New Zealand themselves, perhaps there are a few more games with this sticker.

Good luck on acquiring the rest of your collection :yeah:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Welcome and Introductions · Next Topic »
Add Reply