Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Southeast Asian (SEA) N64 Games
Topic Started: Jun 29 2017, 02:10 PM (419 Views)
Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
So earlier I received a message from No64DD on Miitomo and he asked me to post some pics of my SEA N64 games. While doing so, I made an interesting discovery...

First things first, a little backstory about myself. I'm a Singaporean and have been living in Singapore my whole life, growing up in my childhood years during the N64 and PS1 era. When I was a kid I didn't have a N64 and only had a PS1 because my older brother and sister wanted to play Final Fantasy IX, though I finally did get a N64 from a local store in Singapore when I was 14. Thinking back to my childhood memories, I only recall seeing NTSC-U N64 consoles ever being sold here in Singapore (with the occasional Japanese N64 console being sold at video game specialty stores). I used to travel to Malaysia to visit my grandparents a couple of times a year, and I only recall the generic Charcoal Black Japanese N64 consoles ever being sold there, along with a very limited range of Japanese NTSC-J N64 games that required little to no knowledge of the Japanese language to play (e.g. Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Pokemon Snap) and not a single NTSC-U game. The reason for this was quite simple... pretty much everybody who bought a N64 in Malaysia would usually get a Bung Doctor V64 as well to play backup games because video game piracy was (and still is) extremely rampant in Malaysia. I actually recall seeing a pirated Wave Race 64 cartridge at a store in Malaysia but didn't buy it back then because I had an authentic copy... kinda wished I had just bought it because it would've been an interesting collectible haha.

Anyway, back to the interesting discovery I made while taking photos of my SEA N64 games... it turns out that they're actually NTSC-J N64 games that are in full English! They have the NTSC-J cartridge tabs but the games contained within are identical to the NTSC-U versions of the game as far as I can tell. I double checked all my SEA cartridges and confirmed this to be the case, so I guess if somebody wants to own an authentic NTSC-J cartridge with a fully translated English game without having to swap the backs of a NTSC-U and NTSC-J cartridge, these games would probably be of interest to them. I'm not sure how/when/why Nintendo decided to do this or stop doing this, but the majority of the games I bought here in Singapore are regular NTSC-U games (both the cartridge and the game within the cart) and these rare SEA NTSC-J variants seem to have only been released for a couple of games early in the N64's lifespan (I purchased Pokemon Stadium, both Zelda games, Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Conker's BFD, Starcraft 64, etc. locally and they are all regular NTSC-U games unlike these few). Sorry if this is old news to anybody haha, I guess I just never noticed it before because I removed the tabs on my N64 console and had no issues playing both NTSC-U and NTSC-J games.

Anyway, here are the pictures as requested by No64DD: http://imgur.com/a/GkxvL

(Side note: the Golden Nugget 64 cartridge actually had the NTSC-U tabs instead of the NTSC-J tabs like the other SEA games, the only difference was the green sticker on the box.)
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
forget it :dance:
Edited by Tyree_Cooper, Jun 30 2017, 08:20 AM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks Shangyou. Great story!

I'll see you on Miitomo. 8)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
I've never seen those variants of Golden Nugget and SuperStar Soccer before. Very cool and thanks for sharing. :)
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Rocky
Jun 30 2017, 09:11 AM
I've never seen those variants of Golden Nugget and SuperStar Soccer before. Very cool and thanks for sharing. :)
me neither. pretty rad !

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shangyou
Jun 29 2017, 02:10 PM
The reason for this was quite simple... pretty much everybody who bought a N64 in Malaysia would usually get a Bung Doctor V64 as well to play backup games because video game piracy was (and still is) extremely rampant in Malaysia.
Oh yeah, I had completely forgotten about the Bung Doctor V64. I watched this video to get myself back up to speed.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
This is so awesome. Thx for sharing
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Nice video Grizz.
That is the first time i've seen someone play, holding the controller that way!
Edited by No64DD, Jul 2 2017, 09:29 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I also found this pic intetesting.

Posted Image

I wonder which part of Asia this is from...
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply