Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Any exclusive N64 gamers?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2017, 12:14 PM (898 Views)
distractionwolf
I'm new to N64, still love Sega consoles and own a Saturn with a much bigger library, and I also have a gaming PC and a Ps3. I feel pretty satisfied with this line up for life. The N64 isn't exclusively what I play but its incredibly special - it scratches a specific itch that no other console I have will and I approach it very differently than I do my other consoles.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

distractionwolf
Shellshocker18
Jan 31 2018, 11:16 PM
distractionwolf
Jan 31 2018, 08:38 PM
I'm new to N64, still love Sega consoles and own a Saturn with a much bigger library, and I also have a gaming PC and a Ps3. I feel pretty satisfied with this line up for life. The N64 isn't exclusively what I play but its incredibly special - it scratches a specific itch that no other console I have will and I approach it very differently than I do my other consoles.
It's because they don't make games like they did on N64 anymore, because they couldn't get away with it. They are incredibly time period specific which makes a lot of aspects charming, to me anyway. The same goes for PS1 and probably Saturn, but I'm less farmiliar with those.
The thing I love about this whole generation is that there was a console for three distinct styles of gaming. Of course there was also overlap, but depending on what kind of games you prefer to play could easily help you determine a console to focus on. As a Saturn collector I can tell you Saturn is special in its own way. I'd recommend Saturn to the kind of gamer who spent all his time in Arcades. I think its the best system of the three for fighting games, shmups, and arguably arcade racers. I know N64 also has many excellent arcade racing games, but in the mid-90s especially there were those who specifically sought out Sega's style of arcade racing. Beyond that Saturn had games that were unique. They feel...lumpy...in a good way. I don't know how else to describe them. Play Nights, or Panzer Dragoon, or Burning Rangers to get what I mean.

The special thing to me about N64 is that every game feels like its own little playground. This is especially true of the platformers and adventure games it's so well known for like Mario, Banjo, Zelda, etc. But even Mario Kart or Pokemon Snap has this feeling of being free to play around on a big playground. When I play N64 I don't feel like I always have to be pursuing the main goal or acquiring a score. I of course can and often do, but no other console library makes me say "Hey I wonder if I can jump from this tree to that tree without touching the ground." and just generally fool around in the worlds its provided for me. I love stories people tell of trying to get into peach's castle in mario kart. It wasn't even something you could do, but people even being aware that was likely the case felt free in the N64 environment to just try out different things and generally play and have fun. They didn't need to always be getting every star, completing every quest, and when they did complete the quest it felt more rewarding sometimes because they'd grown close to that world by playing around with it with a free spirit.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply