Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Color Display Problem with PAL 64
Topic Started: Jul 29 2017, 09:58 AM (327 Views)
SwedenTH
Member Avatar
Hey there! This is my first time on these forums, and I really need help with a problem that I have.
I tried my best to search for an earlier post on this and I didn't see one, but I hope I didn't screw up..

Anyway, here's the situation:
I have a new LG TV (the OLED55B6V, if it matters), and I'm trying to hook up all my consoles to it. When I bought the TV I also decided to get the best video quality out of all of them. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all the technical details, but I found out that most consoles have RGB output (and I live in Sweden, so that's fine) and then I put it all through an RGB SCART-switch and then a HDMI converter, and it works perfectly!

The N64 however does of course not have RGB, so I bought the special S-Video cable from ConsoleGoods and a S-Video to HDMI converter.
This seemed like the perfect solution, but I now have this really strange color display problem!..
Basically everything that is bright red on screen turns into a dark, almost brownish, green.

I have no idea what is causing this; and I know for a fact that it's not the console itself, as the composite (pulled through the same converter I might add, it has both S-Video and Composite via a switch) works perfectly color wise. But of course, that means that the quality upgrade was all for nothing...

(EDIT: Some additional information, which I'm not sure if it is relevant or not, but when I use this PAL S-Video with my SNES it gives me a black & white picture.)

I'd be eternally grateful for some insight in this problem!
Edited by SwedenTH, Jul 29 2017, 10:07 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SwedenTH
Member Avatar
Thanks Andy, I'll give it a shot!

SwedenTH
Member Avatar
Thank you for your suggestions, both of you! :)

As boring as it might sound I would personally rather keep my hardware unmodded, but I've seen some UltraHDMI showcases, and I agree that it really is something else!

Oh yeah, The Framemeister really something I wish I could buy! Sadly, I simply can't handle that kind of price tag at the moment, so that will be something to look forward to in the future hopefully!

There's one 'simple fix' that I'm curious about, which you guys might have some insight into; I was looking at a simple "S-Video & AV to SCART Adapter", and my question is simply if you know if the adapter will still separate Coma and Luminance, or if it will mash it back into one signal again?

Because if it works that might be my budget escape, until the Mini N64 Classic (hopefully) comes out, haha!

« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply