Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBA Hangtime; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 1 2017, 05:49 PM (270 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hangtime won with a strong vote off showing. Though comical and arcade'ish, I found it fun to play. I rented it four or five weekends and got my moneys worth out of it. I purchased it in 2003 used, but lost it shortly after. It was a good follow up to a fun NBA game on the SNES I enjoyed. I don't recall what it was called, but I remember Will Smith being a playable option :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Ah no! I thought Tigger's Honey Hunt would walk this! Maybe next month! I will give Hangtime a whirl this weekend. Admittedly I own the game but only checked it worked I just presumed it was not as good as say In The Zone 2000. If it is anything like Kobe Bryant's NBA I enjoyed that game so I would probably like it.
Edited by Milage007, Aug 2 2017, 01:00 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Having been obsessed with NBA Playgrounds lately, I feel like I've been playing Hangtime without that gorgeous 90s hip-hop theme song. Will definitely fire it up this month!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
is this the game that the announcer says "HE'S ON FIRE" all the time and the hoop lit up in fire ? I have vague memory of this.

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
Cabanon
Aug 2 2017, 06:50 AM
is this the game that the announcer says "HE'S ON FIRE" all the time and the hoop lit up in fire ? I have vague memory of this.
As far as I know that is only on NBA JAM. I don't think Hangtime had the announcer say that.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I was wondering if it was Hangtime or not myself :lol:

Cabanon
Elite
Jsboger
Aug 2 2017, 07:01 AM
Cabanon
As far as I know that is only on NBA JAM. I don't think Hangtime had the announcer say that.
ah yes that must be that.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Hangtime is super fun in my opinion. Fantastic as a multiplayer game. Single player has some HARDcore rubber banding, but still fun and playable.

This game definitely has an announcer with some great lines:
"He tomahawks it home!"
"A poster jam!"
"Can't buy a bucket!"
"He's on fire!" At which point your shots literally light the net on fire...
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
NBA Hangtime on the N64 supports 4-player straight away without the need of a multi-tap! You'd a thought that feature alone would have made it a smash hit. :huh:

I own a copy but really haven't played it much. Got it long after me and my boyz spent a bazillion hours on Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and NFL Blitz. Not sure but perhaps Hangtime's reliance on sprites, as opposed to 3D models, made it feel second-rate compared to other over-the-top sports games of the era.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I did turn on NBA Hangtime this weekend. I should have taken a glance at the manual because the controls were anything but intuitive. So I immediately went down 19-0. But then I found the shoot button (C-down?) and some other important buttons, and with the game's rubber band mechanic (and Mookie's sensational shooting), I took the lead. But then the AI got hot again and I wound up losing by 10.

This game gets "arcade sports" so right. And it reminded me of something else from childhood...the idea that the CPU was a real opponent. Raise your hands if you used to mutter or yell "The computer is a cheater!!" went you lost at a game like Tecmo Super Bowl at the hands of a last minute Steve Young-thrown Hail Mary? AI used to be equipped with such unfairness, it really made it feel like you were playing an older brother who would never let you win. I miss that challenge and unpredictability in some games...even Hangtime's spiritual successor NBA Playgrounds (where the CPU is beatable 95% of the time).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
This old kids program used to always make me think the cpu was alive :-)

REboot
Edited by buddy1983, Aug 20 2017, 03:51 AM.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Cabanon
It most certainly is!

I got NBA Hangtime in 2006 for 6 dollars.
Best 6 dollars I ever spent.
We probably got 100s of hours of entertainment out of this game.
Absolute bloody gold for multi-player!

Some tips to make it enjoyable!

-Change the controls! Go to options as soon as you start and make the controls something you like.
We made ours exactly the same as Superstar Soccer.
A to pass, B to shoot, and bottom C to Turbo.
Much easier to understand!

-Make use of the create a player function!
As long as you have a controller pak, you can create a huge amount of custom players.
You gain some stat points every time you win 4 games, so this soon gets very addictive.
And on top of that your stats start showing up on the main title screen with leaderboards and all!

That's enough for now, I could keep talking about how good this game is, but I'll leave it there now.

Oh, one last thing, we liked the commentator for this game and Superstar Soccer so much we made them as characters in this movie:

https://youtu.be/s2LlHTywHxQ
Edited by D.J Cat, Jan 12 2018, 11:51 PM.

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply