Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Kickstarter: Next Gen N64 Controller
Topic Started: Aug 10 2017, 06:52 PM (2,269 Views)
Rocky
Member Avatar
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247448559/next-gen-n64-nintendo-64-controller

"The Retro Fighters controller for N64 is a modern take on the N64 controller. We wanted to remake the N64 controller with next generation features and designs!"

Posted Image

It just passed funding and looks pretty interesting. I'm skeptical of the build quality and the stick functionality and durability if it's only $20 but we'll see how it goes! What do you guys think?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Rocky
Aug 10 2017, 06:52 PM
I'm skeptical of the build quality and the stick functionality and durability if it's only $20 but we'll see how it goes! What do you guys think?
I'd need long term testing using it with GoldenEye 007, Super Smash Bros. and Wave Race 64 before I could form an educated opinion. Those games generally tell you how good a controller is. If somebody sends me one I'd gladly beta test it for them. ;)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Honestly, it's not even for the N64. The main use is for PC emulators and such. Correct?
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
No64DD
Aug 10 2017, 08:06 PM
Honestly, it's not even for the N64. The main use is for PC emulators and such. Correct?
It's soley for the N64 as there's no USB connection.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Ok. Thanks.

I wasn't sure seeing is how we don't see how it actually plugs in and plays.

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
kinda look good but i dont like modern controllers at all. the n64 is too perfect for me to "re-invent" them.

we'll see what colours they bring too since they're surpassed their goal already.

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
This may at least cause Hori Mini Pad prices to drop. I'll probably get one, simply because it can be a controller I don't mind breaking-in to the point of it breaking. It would also be good for guest stars on Mario Kart and such since some people wouldn't want to bother 'learning' or 're-learning' the N64 game pad. I wish they'd have more color options up front, but w/e.

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Looks good. $20!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1247448559/next-gen-n64-nintendo-64-controller?ref=user_menu

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
It does look neat but I wanna see how other people fare first. I got burned by the retro-bit, tomee and cirka ones so I'm a little cynical.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@IB: feeling your pain there!

It looks intriguing, but non-analogue sticks are usually too sensitive. I'm wondering what Nintendo will do with the thumbstick for its inevitable N64 mini. Frankly, I cannot see Nintendo using an OEM-style stick . . . so I wonder how Big N's solution will compare with this one.

[Note: two topics on this subject have been merged]
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Aug 14 2017, 09:09 AM
I'm wondering what Nintendo will do with the thumbstick for its inevitable N64 mini. Frankly, I cannot see Nintendo using an OEM-style stick . . . so I wonder how Big N's solution will compare with this one.
I'm very curious about this as well.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

sanni
Member Avatar
Only one logical option: Switch Pro Controller sticks.

Remember all the Mini Consoles are just test runs for the virtual console coming eventually to the Nintendo Switch.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm always a bit dubious of third party controllers as the mapping tends to be different from the official ones.

(Edit - sorry I meant the mapping and sensitivity of the thumstick)
Edited by andyk2003, Aug 14 2017, 11:18 AM.
My CRT thread:

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
sanni
Aug 14 2017, 09:23 AM
Only one logical option: Switch Pro Controller sticks.

Remember all the Mini Consoles are just test runs for the virtual console coming eventually to the Nintendo Switch.
What do you mean by that? Did Nintendo say that was the purpose of the Mini's? I thought it was just a cheap way for them to make some cash (and inadvertently boost R-Pi sales).

sanni
Member Avatar
I'm confident that Nintendo thinks it's losing money on the Mini Consoles or else they would not make them in such a limited run.
The Club Nintendo Snes controller never sold below $30 a piece and they sold the SNES games for $8 on the Wii U Virtual Console. The SNES Mini has 21 games and two controllers, so that's a value of $230 without the console itself. Yet Nintendo sells the Mini for $80.

So there needs to be more to it than meets the eye here.
In my opinion the Mini consoles serve both as a marketing stunt and a test drive. They use the same family of CPU(ARMv7) as the Switch(ARMv8) so porting the emulators proven to be working on the Mini consoles to the Switch will be easy. Also with all the hype around them it is guaranteed that this will boost Virtual Console sales once it becomes available on the Switch. If everyone could get a Mini console no-one would need to buy Virtual Console games.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
sanni
Aug 15 2017, 12:20 AM
I'm confident that Nintendo thinks it's losing money on the Mini Consoles or else they would not make them in such a limited run.
The Club Nintendo Snes controller never sold below $30 a piece and they sold the SNES games for $8 on the Wii U Virtual Console. The SNES Mini has 21 games and two controllers, so that's a value of $230 without the console itself. Yet Nintendo sells the Mini for $80.

So there needs to be more to it than meets the eye here.
In my opinion the Mini consoles serve both as a marketing stunt and a test drive. They use the same family of CPU(ARMv7) as the Switch(ARMv8) so porting the emulators proven to be working on the Mini consoles to the Switch will be easy. Also with all the hype around them it is guaranteed that this will boost Virtual Console sales once it becomes available on the Switch. If everyone could get a Mini console no-one would need to buy Virtual Console games.

I don't think the Minis have much to do with the Switch, or with VC for that mattter.

The limited run is a classic marketing trick. Because of this, I'm sure more Minis are sold in it's limited run than it would have in - say 3 years - a normal run.
They're also not losing any money, because there are only a handful of people who actually buy all of the included games on VC. Also, these SoC's are cheap to manufacture, so they're making money in any case (maybe not as much money as all of the included games combined on VC, but as i said earlier, there aren't many people who would buy all those games anyway). Also, this is gold for people who like collecting Nintendo stuff. It sells anyway.

Also, the ARM CPU is unrelated, as it's pretty much the standard for handhelds and small devices nowadays (3DS and PSVita carry them too, and naturally the Switch, which tries so hard to be portable).

As for the controller subject of this thread, I actually like the design. If the build quality is decent and the buttons/analog are comparable to say the Hori Pad Mini (aside from the rubbish start-button), I'm sold.
I'll wait for the reviews first though. :rollseyes:
Edited by Vaettur, Aug 15 2017, 02:36 AM.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I am amazed at the interest and support expressed toward this kickstarter. There are a lot of serious N64 gamers out there.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I like the idea, and it looks ok. The price point makes me skeptical, but sure hoping this turns into a viable alternative to OEM controllers.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Hopefully they nail this as I would be interested.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Awesome idea. Like others have said I had it's a good controller.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Got an update today, first from my competitive smash 64 Facebook peeps then from the kickstarter page itself. They are changing the design a bit.

I'm not sure if the original one I saw was a prototype using actual n64 controller buttons but they're going for a grey and red design that looks very NES-like to me. That's probably gonna change because it still looks unfinished.

The big deal, though, is they're changing the control stick's housing to have angles rather than a simple circle. Think the difference between the GameCube controller and the Wii U pro controller and you'll get what I mean as I find it hard to put into words.

Why is this a big deal? Because the company is taking feedback and making positive tweaks because of it. Maybe that's the advantage of using a kickstarter, but wouldn't know if any of these other controller companies like retro bit or corks would ever be this transparent. It makes me trust the company more and have higher hopes for a better product.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm adopting a wait and see strategy with these new controllers. Admittedly, it's easy to be ambivalent when I've got so many N64 controllers already. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

I'm sceptical, but hopeful!

jonathancutt
These controllers should be out in a month or so. I'll be keen to see some reviews of the finished retail model after people have had a good play with it. If they're good, I'll definitely fork out for at least 1.

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Its short a prong :(
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Here's link to the Retro Fighters website. $29.99 retail price, which seems inviting. States a release date of March 2018, so not much longer....

. . . and here is a glowing review from RGT85:

(not showing, eh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=760&v=jgG0Z7pPu-I)
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 18 2018, 12:08 PM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Jan 18 2018, 11:59 AM
Here's link to the Retro Fighters website. $29.99 retail price, which seems inviting. States a release date of March 2018, so not much longer....

. . . and here is a glowing review from RGT85:

(not showing, eh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=760&v=jgG0Z7pPu-I)
The time stamp in your url seemed to mess up the embed code. :o

Edited by Rocky, Jan 18 2018, 05:27 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hey, i'm a fan of kickstarter, but one amateur MK64 powerslide from this guy?! :lol:
Hardly seems enough for a solid testimony. Am i wrong here?

Edited by No64DD, Jan 18 2018, 06:57 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Looks promising but i'll wait until some of you guys start getting your hands on it. If it functions as goods as an original then I will pick one up.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
If it functions exactly like an original they might be worth hacking to make them proper (three pronged) again :)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: