Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Kickstarter: Next Gen N64 Controller
Topic Started: Aug 10 2017, 06:52 PM (2,751 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I forgot to mention that as a backer I did get an email from them saying that at least the first batch will not be compatible with the Transfer Pak. There was an unforeseen glitch with it but they wanted to make sure production would not be delayed too much.

Since a good chunk of the target audience is mainly focused on Smash Bros. this shouldn't be an issue but just a heads up.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jonathancutt
Only site that has pre-orders still available is in Switzerland, and it works out to be US$85 to buy one and ship to Australia. Will pass for now. Hopefully they can get some units out there, fix the odd bug with them and get a retailer closer to me. Some proper reviews will come out and then we'll see about buying one or more.

EDIT: I'll just stick with V3 Hyperkin joystick replacements until then I think.
Edited by jonathancutt, Jan 27 2018, 09:53 AM.

Deadmoneycash
I am a supporter of this Kickstarter and look forward to getting this modern version controller. My main reason is for my eight year old son. I have a N64 and have tried to get my son to play some games with me and he genuinely seems interested but he cannot get past the N64 controller. It just doesn't work for him as he is a modern gamer. He grew up with Xbox 360 and Xbox One as well as Nintendo Wii U and we have the Pro Controller for that. I welcome this controller as it will help bring a young modern gamer over to some retro Nintendo without the difficulty he has experienced with the original N64 controllers. So basically the controller is for him. I can't wait for some Duke Nukem 64 death matches!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@deadmoney: As my kids pretty much learned on the Wii, they still ask if they can rotate an N64 controller to steer. :facepalm: Error in parenting right there.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deadmoneycash
@Bluedodrulez My kids originally started on the wii but they hardly remember it. I received this from Retro Fighters today..Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I think I got my announcement that my controller is on the way. Anybody else get a thing from Trent Tribe saying an item is on its way?

Deadmoneycash
ItalianBaptist
Feb 27 2018, 02:19 PM
I think I got my announcement that my controller is on the way. Anybody else get a thing from Trent Tribe saying an item is on its way?
I did @ 1:00 p.m. today.

NzBoi
Member Avatar
I contacted Retro Fighters today asking if they will be making them available in New Zealand.

they came back saying they will be "launching another Kickstarter in about 2 weeks time on the transparent colours, we will offer international shipping through Kickstarter soon"

you can sign up for the newsletter on the website and they will let you know when the Kickstarter is live.

FYI :yeah:
Edited by NzBoi, Feb 27 2018, 04:40 PM.

Cabanon
Elite
im curious to see how good or bad they are. waiting on some review. even if i dont like the layout button at all, it could be a good alternative.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Feb 27 2018, 06:14 PM
im curious to see how good or bad they are. waiting on some review. even if i dont like the layout button at all, it could be a good alternative.
This is exactly how I feel. I don't really need another N64 controller but I might get one of the Retro Fighters units if they're a quality product.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm sure that me and deadmoneycash will have reviews up ASAP :)

Deadmoneycash
ItalianBaptist
Feb 28 2018, 07:17 AM
I'm sure that me and deadmoneycash will have reviews up ASAP :)
Probably more you than me ItalianBaptist. We moved 3 months ago and all of my retro game systems are not hooked up yet. The wife allowed a gaming corner so to speak in the basement LOL :w00t: I have all the systems sitting in a entertainment system along with a Sony 27 inch Trinitron TV that I got about 2 months ago. This controller will be motivation to at least get the N64 up and running. I want to try out Duke Nukem 64 first.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I very interested to hear what you all have to say on the matter :yeah:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Seems some people have already gotten their controller.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Mine came today. Will try to play some tonight.

Edit: Tested the new controller on smash bros. This is important to me as itís the game that the retro bit controllers were all funky with. This controller works like a dream.

No problems with the neutral position so navigating menus was fine
Able to differentiate between tilt and tap perfectly - smashes and tilts were both fine
Iíll be back later when I can figure out how to describe the z buttons; they feel like another controllerís triggers but iím not sure which ones. Needless to say they work fine.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 2 2018, 06:18 PM.

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
Properly will pick up one sometime future seen on RBT 85 and he seems really enjoy the feel in modern day Nintendo 64 controller.

Edit: somebody already selling the kickstarter controller on ebay.
Edited by Boomdiers, Mar 2 2018, 10:01 PM.
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
My guess is that it will be the Super Smash Bros. community that ultimately decides how successful this controller will be.

I'll probably hold off buying one until I know whether Nintendo is releasing an N64 Mini this year or not.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Okay so apparently the proper term I was looking for for the Z buttons was ďspring triggersĒ, per a discussion in the competitive smash 64 Facebook group. He said he was having trouble with ďz-cancellingĒ because of it. I donít z cancel so thatís not an issue but I also did not have any problems with dodging.

Grizz when you play smash 64 on the virtual console with the GameCube controller, are there times when you try to roll dodge and the game registers it as just a shield? This was an issue for me but it wasnít with the classic controller where the shield is just a button rather than the L or R on the GameCube.

I was worried with the spring that it might be an issue on this retro fighters pad but ultimately it wasnít.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Mar 3 2018, 10:25 AM
Grizz when you play smash 64 on the virtual console with the GameCube controller, are there times when you try to roll dodge and the game registers it as just a shield?
Roll dodge?! Me and my friends are almost always on the attack when we play the N64 version of Smash. That roll dodge nonsense is what makes Sm4sh on the Wii U so tedious for casual players like us who prefer a down-and-dirty play style. :lol:

Keep in mind that my friends and I became fighting game enthusiasts mostly because of Street Fighter II; so we like little to no defense, devastatingly powerful grabs and matches that end in a blink of an eye. Sure, that probably makes us the equivalent of video game troglodytes but we don't usually play fighting games to scratch our cerebral itch. :D

Hey ItalianBaptist, please share more impressions of the Brawler64 gamepad when you get a chance. Do you think it'll survive competitive level Smash 64 after extended use?
Edited by Grizzmeister, Mar 4 2018, 08:13 PM.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Honestly I'm not even sure the Smash 64 community is going to give it the chance to test its survivability. I've already heard complaints about the Z-triggers and button placement.

I suppose its understandable because you want to have a maximum level of input effectiveness in that kind of setting. But at the same time, I think I've finally gotten around to accepting the fact that I will never be more than a "filthy casual" because of how crazy precise it can get sometimes.

jonathancutt
I'm waiting to hear how these controllers perform with an FPS.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Would love to know how the sensitivity of the stick is e.g. if it's more or less like the hori pad or less sensitive. Hoping for the latter.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Anybody play Killer Instinct Gold or Mortal Kombat Trilogy with this controller yet? I'm curious how well the digital pad works with more traditional fighting games like those.

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Thought I'd share a few videos by content creators I enjoy who have had some hands-on time with this new controller. Hopefully this will help shed a little light on the thing although we all know that ultimately it'll come down to having the controller in your own hands to really make a full assessment. I'm starting to think I might pony up the money for one of these.

MetalJesusRocks (the guy with the prototype US 64DD)

The Immortal John Hancock

sanni
Member Avatar
"I'm not the biggest fan of the original N64 control..." That's how far he got before I hit the unsubscribe button, people like this can't be trusted, ever. :dance:
Edited by sanni, Mar 6 2018, 10:34 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Is anybody a fan of that controller? I'm not. :lol:

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Wow, rough sanni X_D

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
On my phone so can't embed the link now but there is a video showing an issue with the analogue stick and the L trigger. https://youtu.be/ilEHLgNlV-U
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

NzBoi
Member Avatar
It seems like it would be a good option for some games... I'm just really surprised that its not compatible with the transfer pak...

Also, id be really interested to feel how the joystick handles, when you see it the the hands of the reviewers,
it seems like its really close to the edge of the controller, in possibly an awkward position.

I'm really keen to get my hands on one to check it out for myself.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Luckily there will be better crowdfunding projects in the future guys.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: