Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Kickstarter: Next Gen N64 Controller
Topic Started: Aug 10 2017, 06:52 PM (2,486 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Mar 6 2018, 12:36 PM
On my phone so can't embed the link now but there is a video showing an issue with the analogue stick and the L trigger. https://youtu.be/ilEHLgNlV-U
I canít think of any of my games where iíd be using both at the same time. But itís definitely worth pointing out. Can you guys think of any specifically where this would be an issue?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I was thinking that last night but then I realised it would probably affect goldeneye now. In the past I would use R to aim and then Z to fire but thinking of the controller as a modern one you would use L to aim and right hand Z to fire.

Also in the video the reviewer shows that in Waverace it affects the tricks when using L and the stick together.

Edited by buddy1983, Mar 7 2018, 04:07 AM.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
The thing that gets me is everyone out there is forgetting about the Hori Pad... Hori did what these guys did years ago and its much better. I would love to see someone compare those two controllers. I know some people say that the Hori is more sensative and it is, just slightly so I gotta throw out our boy Linus and say for a true N64 experience get the steel sticks
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I donít think itís that people are necessarily forgetting, but the horiís an expensive prospect and has to be imported from Japan. In most cases this provides an easier and cheaper alternative.

I hope I did not sound insensitive to the situation with the L button and the control stick. Mine is doing the same thing but for me itís only a minor annoyance in one very specific spot, that being up left on the control stick. I could see how someone playing Wave Race would be frustrated though. I was just curious what other games are affected by this.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 7 2018, 10:56 AM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Pimpin Mainer
Mar 7 2018, 10:45 AM
The thing that gets me is everyone out there is forgetting about the Hori Pad... Hori did what these guys did years ago and its much better. I would love to see someone compare those two controllers. I know some people say that the Hori is more sensative and it is, just slightly so I gotta throw out our boy Linus and say for a true N64 experience get the steel sticks
For casual play, I love my Hori Pad, but ESS with OoT is next to impossible because of the sensitivity so I stick to my regular gamepad mostly.
Apparently (as seen in MetalJesus' video) there is somewhat of a dead zone so it could be possible with this new controller.

I'm not sure about that Hori Pad comparison. Of course, it's great but that small design, bad d-pad, wonky start button and cramped shoulder buttons could be a dealbreaker. And let's not forget about the price they go for these days.

Also, as for comparing, let's not forget about the Raphnet adapter, which imo is an even better (and cheaper) choice for people who prefer a more traditional controller.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
And if we really want to get into comparisons we can also look at the two pronged Superpad/Makopad :)

Itís joystick is more like the originalís in terms of design so it might not have the same sensitivity issues a GC-style stick would. Already iím seeing it as superior to the retro fighters for Mario Kart because of how close the R and Z buttons are on the latter.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 7 2018, 11:50 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Follow up video from the guy I linked to yesterday going into details as to why this L trigger is happening.

I can never embed videos for some reason so here is the link. Not sure what I am doing wrong :eh:

LINK
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Cabanon
Elite
use the "flash" button under full screen reply.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I went ahead and ordered one of these and will hopefully have it in a few months.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Cabanon
Mar 7 2018, 08:24 PM
use the "flash" button under full screen reply.
I do every time but it never works, just leaves a big blank space where the video should be. Weird :eh:
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
you're doing something wrong, lol
Edited by Cabanon, Mar 8 2018, 10:54 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yeah I know, just dont know what :yeah:
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Saw this in our community Discord and thought interesting to share here, for anyone who considers buying this controller for speedrunning (in this case OoT, but goes for SM64 as well):

Quote:

by Rico93710

Retro Fighters Brawler64 Controller
Initial Impressions: Not suitable for speedrunning. Analog stick is no where near precise as N64 or GC. ESS position is very narrow, compared to my experience on the N64 w/ GC controller. Z triggers have no tactile feel but L, R, A, B, Start and C buttons are nice. The analog stick doesn't have enough sensitivity on some direction inputs (ie: up + slight right or up + slight left yields a full up input). Occasionally 45 up left or 45 up right yields full left or right input. Over all decent for casual gaming. If you're looking to move to something other then N64 go to GC and avoid this controller.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Well, those impressions are pretty in line with my expectations.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Vaettur
Mar 21 2018, 04:45 AM
Saw this in our community Discord and thought interesting to share here, for anyone who considers buying this controller for speedrunning (in this case OoT, but goes for SM64 as well):

Quote:

by Rico93710

Initial Impressions: Not suitable for speedrunning. Analog stick is no where near precise as N64 or GC. ESS position is very narrow, compared to my experience on the N64 w/ GC controller. Z triggers have no tactile feel but L, R, A, B, Start and C buttons are nice. The analog stick doesn't have enough sensitivity on some direction inputs (ie: up + slight right or up + slight left yields a full up input). Occasionally 45 up left or 45 up right yields full left or right input. Over all decent for casual gaming. If you're looking to move to something other then N64 go to GC and avoid this controller.
How is the Horipad with speedrunning?
Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Rocky
Mar 21 2018, 10:52 AM
Vaettur
Mar 21 2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:

by Rico93710

How is the Horipad with speedrunning?
Depends on the game.
It's somewhat holy for SM64 running, especially for Bowser (some runners even switch to Hori Pad mid-run, just for the Bowser battles).

It's useless for running OoT though, because of the sticks high sensitivity, rendering a practically non-existing ESS range aside from other difficulties.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
What community discord? I might need to check it out :)

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
The official OoT speedrun discord. :lol:

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Any new word on these things? Has anyone tested the joysticks to compare deadzones? If I have a GC style replacement joystick, will these controllers perform better for games like Smash and racing games? Curious if I wanna drop the cash, but wanna know it's worth it first.

Edit: Watch MetalJesusRocks' video on it where he tests this, it seems to be about the same as far as dead zones and overreach as the GC style replacements. Still not totally sold on this thing as a superior replacement to an OEM.
Edited by Xephyrian, Apr 17 2018, 06:45 PM.
Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Xephyrian
Apr 17 2018, 05:44 PM
Any new word on these things? Has anyone tested the joysticks to compare deadzones? If I have a GC style replacement joystick, will these controllers perform better for games like Smash and racing games? Curious if I wanna drop the cash, but wanna know it's worth it first.

Edit: Watch MetalJesusRocks' video on it where he tests this, it seems to be about the same as far as dead zones and overreach as the GC style replacements. Still not totally sold on this thing as a superior replacement to an OEM.
From all the impressions inside and outside of this thread, I'd say it's suitable for casual gaming but when it comes to competitive gaming it's better to stick to the original, or move to a Hori Pad Mini or GameCube controller if you're really looking for a replacement, the latter being the cheaper and more accessible choice.

Also I'd avoid the GC-style replacementsticks entirely for either style of gaming, unless you mod it.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: