Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kickstarter: Next Gen N64 Controller
Topic Started: Aug 10 2017, 06:52 PM (2,639 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
It does look neat but I wanna see how other people fare first. I got burned by the retro-bit, tomee and cirka ones so I'm a little cynical.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Got an update today, first from my competitive smash 64 Facebook peeps then from the kickstarter page itself. They are changing the design a bit.

I'm not sure if the original one I saw was a prototype using actual n64 controller buttons but they're going for a grey and red design that looks very NES-like to me. That's probably gonna change because it still looks unfinished.

The big deal, though, is they're changing the control stick's housing to have angles rather than a simple circle. Think the difference between the GameCube controller and the Wii U pro controller and you'll get what I mean as I find it hard to put into words.

Why is this a big deal? Because the company is taking feedback and making positive tweaks because of it. Maybe that's the advantage of using a kickstarter, but wouldn't know if any of these other controller companies like retro bit or corks would ever be this transparent. It makes me trust the company more and have higher hopes for a better product.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I forgot to mention that as a backer I did get an email from them saying that at least the first batch will not be compatible with the Transfer Pak. There was an unforeseen glitch with it but they wanted to make sure production would not be delayed too much.

Since a good chunk of the target audience is mainly focused on Smash Bros. this shouldn't be an issue but just a heads up.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I think I got my announcement that my controller is on the way. Anybody else get a thing from Trent Tribe saying an item is on its way?

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm sure that me and deadmoneycash will have reviews up ASAP :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Mine came today. Will try to play some tonight.

Edit: Tested the new controller on smash bros. This is important to me as itís the game that the retro bit controllers were all funky with. This controller works like a dream.

No problems with the neutral position so navigating menus was fine
Able to differentiate between tilt and tap perfectly - smashes and tilts were both fine
Iíll be back later when I can figure out how to describe the z buttons; they feel like another controllerís triggers but iím not sure which ones. Needless to say they work fine.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 2 2018, 06:18 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Okay so apparently the proper term I was looking for for the Z buttons was ďspring triggersĒ, per a discussion in the competitive smash 64 Facebook group. He said he was having trouble with ďz-cancellingĒ because of it. I donít z cancel so thatís not an issue but I also did not have any problems with dodging.

Grizz when you play smash 64 on the virtual console with the GameCube controller, are there times when you try to roll dodge and the game registers it as just a shield? This was an issue for me but it wasnít with the classic controller where the shield is just a button rather than the L or R on the GameCube.

I was worried with the spring that it might be an issue on this retro fighters pad but ultimately it wasnít.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Honestly I'm not even sure the Smash 64 community is going to give it the chance to test its survivability. I've already heard complaints about the Z-triggers and button placement.

I suppose its understandable because you want to have a maximum level of input effectiveness in that kind of setting. But at the same time, I think I've finally gotten around to accepting the fact that I will never be more than a "filthy casual" because of how crazy precise it can get sometimes.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Mar 6 2018, 12:36 PM
On my phone so can't embed the link now but there is a video showing an issue with the analogue stick and the L trigger. https://youtu.be/ilEHLgNlV-U
I canít think of any of my games where iíd be using both at the same time. But itís definitely worth pointing out. Can you guys think of any specifically where this would be an issue?

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I donít think itís that people are necessarily forgetting, but the horiís an expensive prospect and has to be imported from Japan. In most cases this provides an easier and cheaper alternative.

I hope I did not sound insensitive to the situation with the L button and the control stick. Mine is doing the same thing but for me itís only a minor annoyance in one very specific spot, that being up left on the control stick. I could see how someone playing Wave Race would be frustrated though. I was just curious what other games are affected by this.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 7 2018, 10:56 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
And if we really want to get into comparisons we can also look at the two pronged Superpad/Makopad :)

Itís joystick is more like the originalís in terms of design so it might not have the same sensitivity issues a GC-style stick would. Already iím seeing it as superior to the retro fighters for Mario Kart because of how close the R and Z buttons are on the latter.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 7 2018, 11:50 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
What community discord? I might need to check it out :)

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply