Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RARE N64 "IS-VIEWER 64" SCSI Development Cartridge - Up and Running!!
Topic Started: Aug 29 2017, 10:39 AM (321 Views)
Gerry_MAN
Member Avatar
Hey Folks,

I haven't been around here too much lately...I've been busy doing some intense research on various areas surrounding N64 development....for both hardware and software.

Anyhow,
I recently got a hold of a very Rare Nintendo N64 Development cartridge know as the "IS-VIEWER 64" development cartridge.

Posted Image

So I decided to buckle down and actually get the unit up and running. So many collectors that own these cartridges, most of the time they just end up sitting on a shelf as a collectable Trophy. That idea I just found to be disturbing!! *#&$&*@!

So, after over a month of intense research, and then some time in the Electronics Lab...building up a Custom SCSI-2 interface cable...and also after getting some help from the N64 Development community in tracking down a Windows Driver, I managed to get the unit up and running!! SSSIIICKKKKKK!!

Now, this "IS-VIEWER 64" is a RAM only based development cartridge. It was released by the company "Intelligent Systems" in the late 90's for development on the Nintendo N64.

The main advantage of this development cartridge (at the time it was released) was the high speed data transfer rate which the on board SCSI interface provided. This allowed the shortest load time from a source code editing phase, to compiling and running the compiled ROM on the real hardware. Average load time varies based on the ROM game size...however averages may vary between 10-30 seconds. Again...all depending on the game ROM size.

Being a RAM based cartridge, this means that each time you power up the Cartridge, all Game data must be loaded into RAM through the SCSI interface. Once power is removed or the cart is disconnected, all loaded Game data is lost.

Also, the IS-VIEWER64 requires a specially Modded N64 Console for it to work properly. This is similar to the Kmc PARTNER-N64 Debugging console Mod. ( So I had to perform this Mod on one of my spare N64 consoles.)

Posted Image

Anyhow,
I figured you guys would get a kick out of seeing this unit up and running.... :n64:
You can check out a quick little demo video of it that I posted, here on my YouTube Channel. (Link Below:)

RARE Nintendo N64 "IS-VIEWER 64" Development Cartridge - NOW WORKING!!

Fun Stuff!!
Cheers! Folks,
-Gerry

Ohh, I posted a pretty detailed write up on the whole process..... over at assembler games if any of you wanted to go and read it...

The link to the Thread is in the Video description...

I was pretty excited once I got it to work...especially after all the road blocks I had along the way....but still considering all issues...this was probably one of the fastest projects to complete, that I've tackled in a while.

Fun Stuff!
-Gerry
Edited by Gerry_MAN, Aug 29 2017, 10:54 AM.
I Build things...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Thanks for sharing, always good to see this stuff
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Very fascinating :yeah: Thanks for sharing!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hey Gerry,

There was one of these that sold on yahoo recently. It was a different version.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u156532406
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Incredible stuff there!!! Ben Heck's got nothing on you! :yeah:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
very cool stuff ! also very nice to see it works. glad you could do that.

Gerry_MAN
Member Avatar
Thanks Guys,

It was a fun and yet challenging project.

@No64DD:
Yeah I did see that Yahoo listing.... that is pretty much the same cart as mine...I'm just assuming it has a Firmware memory upgrade and possibly the FPGA.

Still pretty much the same cart though.

So,
MarshallH contacted me and mentioned that there are several N64 game titles that were released which still had special debug code left in the final commercial releases. This particular Debug code was used to communicate with the IS-VIEWER64.

So by running these game ROMs with the IS-VIEWER, I should be able to view these Debugging messages left by the original game programmers. Pretty cool. And apparently there are certain N64 Emulators that allow you to see these Debug messages also.

Anyhow,
There is a list of all the game titles that have Debug messages for the IS-VIEWER64, and also for the PARTNER-N64 systems. Where you can use these systems to view the debugging messages if you run them. (or using an EMU.)

Here is the list of games....I'll be trying these probably on the weekend with the IS-VIEWER64.

This list was posted by the well known N64/64DD Programming Guru "Zoinkity":

IS-VIEWER / PARTNER-N64 - N64 GAMES LIST with Debugging Messages

Cheers!
-Gerry
I Build things...

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Nice. I'm thinking that one i posted came before yours since it says Version D.
Yours is probably the better version.

If i see anything else, i will contact you.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gerry_MAN
Member Avatar
No64DD
Aug 30 2017, 05:13 PM
Nice. I'm thinking that one i posted came before yours since it says Version D.
Yours is probably the better version.

If i see anything else, i will contact you.

Actually, if you select the picture above with the cart inserted into the console...and then zoom in...you'll see that my cart is version "C".

-Gerry
I Build things...

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
You're right. The Version K pic threw me off.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
there's no serial number on your version, that's kinda weird.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply