Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Counterfeit N64 Carts on eBay?!?; Buyer beware
Topic Started: Sep 8 2017, 11:09 AM (452 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I'll admit that I have somehow shaken the habit of stalking eBay for games on a daily basis. eBay recently dropped from my Google frequent sites list, which is really saying something.

Anyway, I went on eBay today to score a physical copy of a Switch game when I noticed vendors offering classic N64 games for under $30, one of them being Conkers Bad Fur Day. Upon further inspection, there were several listings for "new" loose N64 titles at a severe discount from the prices we know them to be. And sure enough, the larger sellers were located in Hong Kong and other Asian locations not exactly known for OEM products.

A Mario Kart 64 listing used a picture of a cart with a worn label. Nice touch.

I had seen this about 6 months ago with some high-profile SNES games. I was wondering what some of my SNES classics that are merely shelf candy might go for on the open market. Left unsure given that fakes were selling for 50% or less of the true value.

This is a really bad development for us collectors. And likely gamers too, as I can only image the quality of the ROMs contained within.

What do you think about this development? How do you spot counterfeits? Every one of course is entitled to their opinions, but PLEASE do not post links to eBay pages featuring these sales.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sanni
Member Avatar
Well let's get the obvious drawback out of the way first. Original games use maskroms, they will last you forever. The repros use flashroms which have a typical data retention of about 20-30 years. After which they need to be reflashed.

Now to the positive side: You can actually reflash those repros with other games, even with unreleased ones or rom hacks. So that gives you a cheap alternative to buying an Everdrive. But it's also way way more complicated.

The build quality of the electronics inside is really nice, it's actually a very good product. But it looks very different from an original pcb.

For collectors this means that you need to check the pcb the next time you buy game in a Gamestop store or similar because it could be a reproduction. Basicly the same situation we had with NES and SNES for years.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Hmm if only there was a special guide that could help spot fakes.... :P

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7464768/1/
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I don't like the idea of these fakes going into the wild. Everdrive etc I am fine with. But yeah I think all this means is people need to exercise caution, use the guide if necessary, when buying. Fortunately, it is so :cussfit: obvious, certainly to the trained eye, what a fake is.

I think this is a good opportunity to promote the thread above and make sure everybody here is aware.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Sep 8 2017, 11:09 AM
Anyway, I went on eBay today to score a physical copy of a Switch game when I noticed vendors offering classic N64 games for under $30, one of them being Conkers Bad Fur Day. Upon further inspection, there were several listings for "new" loose N64 titles at a severe discount from the prices we know them to be. And sure enough, the larger sellers were located in Hong Kong and other Asian locations not exactly known for OEM products.
First thought that popped in to my head, how long until Switch counterfeit games appear of eBay? :huh:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
that's what happen when people ask stupid amount of money for a video game, counterfeit comes in and people can finally enjoy/try the game at decent price.

real or not, someone who want to play will pick the cheapest solution, unless he's a collector.

I'd be the first to buy one of these repro for a game I want to play, like CFB.

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Most of the repros are of very poor quality, and won't last long, assuming they work at all.

Another recent trend is people selling a game with a different board inside; I've seen a case where someone bought Goldeneye and it had Madden 99 inside.

As for Switch carts, the chemical on them that you can taste will probably be hard to replicate safely.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Sep 9 2017, 12:24 PM
that's what happen when people ask stupid amount of money for a video game, counterfeit comes in and people can finally enjoy/try the game at decent price.
Isn't it ironic that eBay video game scalpers may have ultimately shot themselves in the foot by being so greedy. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Nintendo_Fan_Russia
Member Avatar
I think it`s terrible, now when i buy games off ebay i must check if the game is authentic, so many fake games and boxes. I think Ebay should ban these sellers forever.

monkeyjim100
Just noticed a seller on eBay wither at least 6 pretty rare games that are complete but look almost immaculate ! Either this person has really looked after their games for 20 years or something funny is going on. Be on the look out my collecting chums.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I don't intersect these circles very often, as I don't usually collect something just because it's uncommon. But I've run up against this with Pokemon games for a long time now. I'd like to add a couple of them to my collection, but every time I get close, I'm not confident enough to pull the trigger because of all the knockoffs.

So I understand how much it sucks. It was only a matter of time before it hit the N64. And now here we are.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Interesting how forces are conspiring to make video game collecting more difficult but playing video games easier. :lol:

Posted Image

A Bathing Ape
Member Avatar
it's honestly a shame that they are ripping off such classic games. i would personally think that if they advertised the game was a replica or a bootleg then i would be okay with it, because at the very least they are being honest about it.

monkeyjim100
Looked on eBay today to find some pretty hard to find CIB games that look almost brand new. you would have thought if they were trying to flog knock off games as real they would at least bash them up a bit to add "wear and tear " ! Keep on the look out for the idiots my collecting chums.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply