Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!
Topic Started: Sep 19 2017, 09:17 AM (1,049 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Goldfinger 64, the long awaited fan-made mod of the N64 classic Goldeneye, has finally been released! It's a really ambitious mod, eight years in the making, and since it's a mod of an N64 game, then you'll either need to use an N64 emulator, or play it via a flash cartridge (such as the Everdrive 64, or the 64Drive) with a real N64.

There's a preview video at:

Goldeneye 64 is available as a downloadable patch file (which needs to be applied to an NTSC rom v1.1 of Goldeneye), but I can't post a link, as per the TOS of this site, so you'll have to google for it.

Notes:

1) If you use a real N64, then you need to have an expansion pak present. If you use an emulator, then ensure that it's "Use expansion pak" (or however it's phrased) option is enabled.

2) Goldfinger 64 uses 4kb EEPROM/EEP saves, so you must tell the flash cartridge or the emulator to use this save format for the game. To do this with the Everdrive 64, open the file 'save_db.txt' that is in the 'ED64' folder on the Everdrive's SD card, and add the line:

GF=1

to the end of the 'save_db.txt' file. Saving will now work as it should.

And if you want to print out an N64 style box for the game, to look good on your shelf, then even that's covered! Someone has made the artwork for it, and it looks great:

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Goldfinger was such an awesome James Bond movie! Honor Blackman was hella sexy in it as the character whose name I still giggle at every time I say it out loud. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I love that people are still making stuff like this. 20 years later, and here we are.

Cabanon
Elite
Where Can I order this awesome box ?

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
I can't seem to get the editor to run. Keeps having a fit about various errors. :huh:

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Quote:

Where Can I order this awesome box ?

I don't know if you can order it from anyone, but the images are available at the official release thread on the official forum for anyone to print out. If you do want to order a copy, then post in that thread, and ask if anyone would be willing to do it for you.

Quote:

I can't seem to get the editor to run. Keeps having a fit about various errors.

I've just sent you a private message.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
From a massive James Bond and N64 fan this is awesome! Agree, it's great to see people putting in the time and effort to do this sort of thing nowadays.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
This is so good!

I remember reading about this year's ago when the project first started and was excited for it.

I looked for it a little while ago and assume it was never going to get done.

Buy here it is!
Fantastic!

I want more than anything to actually play it (preferably on console) but I'm too lazy...more like busy to actually make it happen.
One day I will finally get to play it and it will be amazing! 😊

1985gamer
Member Avatar
Not much conversation on here (or anywhere on the net) about this considering the scope of what has been achieved. The only comments seem to be criticism of any flaws or things people want improved, must be disheartening for all the developers whove been working on this for years.

I've just been through the single player missions on Agent and beginning a secret agent run-through and I'm really enjoying it. I need to go back and watch the movie to approximate some of the settings I think. Loving the difficulty level, seems set just right for experienced players with tweaked AI and more immersive missions than the original. Been playing on Everdrive with original hardware.

Any other fans out there?
Edited by 1985gamer, Jan 22 2018, 09:23 AM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I can't say how much I want to play the game but just don't have time time!

My 84 hour work weeks have been cut down to 62-68 hours...but that's still a hell of a lot of work, and not enough time to fit this in.

Someone needs to send me a really dumbed down version of how to play this.
Cause I will most certainly play it one day and enjoy it to no end I am sure! 😊

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
If i had an everdrive I would be all over this.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I actually do have an everdrive, and unfortunatly on console the game has more fog and lag than i guess it does on PC, because the first level is absolutely horrible on console. It's so foggy it took me a very long time to understand the layout of the first area and it took me like 30 minutes to beat the first mission and I haven't gone back too it. I've never seen the movie or played any mission past the first one, but the first one has this really bad layout at the beginning with enemies at can see through the fog but you can't. I haven't felt like playing it since which sucks
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1985gamer
Member Avatar
D.J Cat
Jan 22 2018, 12:04 PM
I don't support repro carts but if you don't have the time and really want to play then here's your solution: https://www.etsy.com/listing/554494450/goldfinger-64-completely-new-goldeneye
Shellshocker18
Jan 24 2018, 09:19 AM
I actually do have an everdrive, and unfortunatly on console the game has more fog and lag than i guess it does on PC, because the first level is absolutely horrible on console. It's so foggy it took me a very long time to understand the layout of the first area and it took me like 30 minutes to beat the first mission and I haven't gone back too it. I've never seen the movie or played any mission past the first one, but the first one has this really bad layout at the beginning with enemies at can see through the fog but you can't. I haven't felt like playing it since which sucks
It's worth sticking with it, the first level is not great IMO but they do get better. The fog problem appears to be solved playing on an UltraHDMI unit but I agree the AI can sometimes be too clever.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Thanks for the tip 1985 gamer, I don't understand the ins and outs of these carts but I'm quite keen on that...
Does it play on a PAL console?

1985gamer
Member Avatar
I believe so but probably worth asking whatever seller you go through first. If you're a massive Goldeneye fan and want a whole new challenge and story then it's a no brainer to play this, it's great fun.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
1985gamer
Jan 24 2018, 01:51 PM
I believe so but probably worth asking whatever seller you go through first. If you're a massive Goldeneye fan and want a whole new challenge and story then it's a no brainer to play this, it's great fun.
And having an actual cartridge would be pretty bloody mind blowing for me and the general population.
Would absolutely love to show it to people at work and truck drivers...would be...GOLD! 😃

distractionwolf
If the theme is just going to be mod goldeneye and base it on a 007 movie with gold in the name, are we getting Man with the Golden Gun next?

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
distractionwolf
Feb 1 2018, 09:46 PM
If the theme is just going to be mod goldeneye and base it on a 007 movie with gold in the name, are we getting Man with the Golden Gun next?
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but Goldfinger 64 was a LONG work in progress.

Hopefully the guys get showered with praise like they deserve for making this and the motivation for more of this kind of thing goes up.

The Goldeneye Set Up Editor has been out for 10+ years now!
https://youtu.be/AKBifn8MumY
Edited by D.J Cat, Feb 3 2018, 09:50 AM.

distractionwolf
I really want to play it but I want to own the original goldeneye first. I feel like playing goldfinger before devoting a lot of time to goldeneye will cause me to not see the majesty in it. Of course it will never be the same as it is for those who have played goldeneye since it came out and now you have this new title. I have played multiplayer a couple times, years ago...And actually I was madly in love with the wii remake for a while though idk how similar the layouts and missions in that one are.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
You must play Goldeneye first. it just would make sense to play the fan made MOD released 20 years after the original release first 🤓

That and Goldeneye is arguably the greatest game of all time.

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
1985gamer
Jan 24 2018, 09:54 AM
D.J Cat
Jan 22 2018, 12:04 PM
I don't support repro carts but if you don't have the time and really want to play then here's your solution: https://www.etsy.com/listing/554494450/goldfinger-64-completely-new-goldeneye
Shellshocker18
Jan 24 2018, 09:19 AM
It's worth sticking with it, the first level is not great IMO but they do get better. The fog problem appears to be solved playing on an UltraHDMI unit but I agree the AI can sometimes be too clever.
I haven't played this new game but one thing i did appreciate when 007 golden eye came out was the difficulty of the game. to this day it was one of if not the hardest game to ever complete on the hardest levels! a game that you couldn't complete in one or two nights! can't wait to play this game!
D.J Cat
Feb 3 2018, 10:53 AM
You must play Goldeneye first. it just would make sense to play the fan made MOD released 20 years after the original release first 🤓

That and Goldeneye is arguably the greatest game of all time.
IMO it is! best game i have ever played !

jonebone
Member Avatar
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but has anyone made a complete in box reproduction of it yet? It'd be one I'd like to pickup and add to the backlog of games I need to play at some point.

Cabanon
Elite
cart https://www.etsy.com/ca-fr/listing/574421702/goldfinger-64-n64-reproduction-ntsc?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nintendo%2064%20repro%20goldfinger&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

box https://assemblergames.com/threads/goldfinger-64-has-been-released.66815/
Edited by Cabanon, Feb 5 2018, 07:46 AM.

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
Wow just found this thread... this is awesome, I'm gonna try getting this working on my everdrive 64
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Quote:

Thanks for the tip 1985 gamer, I don't understand the ins and outs of these carts but I'm quite keen on that...
Does it play on a PAL console?

Yes. Most N64 game hacks are for the NTSC version of the game (because the NTSC versions are the biggest sellers, I'd assume), but you can play them on a PAL N64 as long as your television can display NTSC mode.

Quote:

If i had an everdrive I would be all over this.

Oh it's well worth buying an Everdrive, as you can play not only this but also game mods and hacks (see http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/9018976/ for a quick and far from complete idea of what's available), unreleased games and prototypes (such as the full version of 40 Winks, or O.D.T. (short for Or Die Trying) or the prototypes of Glover 2 and Die Hard), the 64DD games (such as the F-zero X track editor, or the in-progress English translation of the brilliant SimCity 64), the Aleck64 arcade games, the fan-made English translations of Japanese only games (such as Sin and Punishment, Custom Robo, and Wonder Project J2), and you can play any N64 games regardless of their region (as long as your TV can display the result).

The Everdrive 64 also simulates a Gameshark, and allows you to back up or restore your saves from the SD card to your PC or Apple Mac. Any game that writes back to it's own cartridge (such as most Nintendo or Rare games, such as Mario 64, or Goldeneye) instead writes to the SD card, thinking it's writing to it's own cartridge. The other games, that write to a controller pack (such as the two Duke Nukem games, or The World is Not Enough) still need a controller pak to save and load from, but you can also backup or restore your controller pak's contents to the SD card, if you like.

Plus it's so convenient having every genuine N64 game, every hack, every prototype, etc, on one cartridge (well, one SD card, plugged into the Everdrive 64 cartridge). I never remove my ED64 from my N64, and I doubt I ever will.

Quote:

The authors have acknowledged that the first level is perhaps too large and open (they were going for a less linear, more realistic feel, but it seems a fair few people didn't like it), and have mentioned the possibility of releasing a second version of the game, with some bugs, flaws and complaints fixed, and it might include a size reduction to the first level, and others. Don't be put off by the first level, though, as the game does get better.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Kerr Avon
Feb 8 2018, 02:49 PM
The authors have acknowledged that the first level is perhaps too large and open (they were going for a less linear, more realistic feel, but it seems a fair few people didn't like it), and have mentioned the possibility of releasing a second version of the game, with some bugs, flaws and complaints fixed, and it might include a size reduction to the first level, and others. Don't be put off by the first level, though, as the game does get better.
I saw some other people complaining, so glad to know I'm not being an A-hole/buzzkill for complaining about it. I do still plan on playing the rest when I get some free time, so I hope it gets better beyond that point because I haven't seen any of the other levels yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply