Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 fps
Topic Started: Sep 20 2017, 04:19 AM (399 Views)
Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Mmm... I agree with ItalianBaptist when it comes to Duke Nukem and Doom. Both were quite influential for the FPS genre (understatement), but were already aged at the time of the N64.

Aside from the control-scheme i don't think there is much of a "split" between the two.

Sure, Turok has much more of a "Quake" feeling, but Goldeneye/PD has non-linear, mission-driven gameplay, a feature very important in shooters nowadays (like CoD).
It was a natural evolution in an (at the time)upcoming genre, and all had their influence on the genre in general.

Perhaps the only "split" that I can think of is the A-to-B shoot everything in your way type of game (doom/duke) and a more story/mission driven shooter.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
ItalianBaptist
Sep 20 2017, 12:26 PM
Would the primary for both be "move with the stick, aim with the c buttons"? Because that model is still technically in use today, just with a right analog stick.
Actually, it's aiming with the stick and move/strave with the c-buttons, quite reversed from today's control scheme!

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
The White Falcon
Sep 20 2017, 03:10 PM
There's a big FPS elephant in the room you seem to be forgetting.

;)
Talking about elephants.

Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
The White Falcon
Sep 21 2017, 02:23 PM
But that really has nothing to do with this discussion, which was largely about controls.
More so, it's about N64 shooters, which neither of them are. :rofl:

On-topic:
There is a lot to say about the single player, but I think the multiplayer is where the N64 shooters build some great foundations.
Of course, the Goldeneye single player was memorable and not much like the mindless shooters of nowadays, but it's multiplayer was of great influence for console multiplayer shooting (and multiplayer fps in general), proving that it is possible to build a fun, fast-paced multiplayer fps on a console.
Perfect Dark build on that, by for example introducing a ranking system which is still vital and widely used in today's shooters.

That's why I think there is no clear "split", as the genre was still very young and rapidly evolving at the time.
What I mean to say is that CoD (just to name one) got influenced by games like Quake and Doom, as well as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I can understand your thoughts about Battlefield being a "thinker". I can only speak for Battlefield 1943 (which I've played quite extensively), but the maps are huge and largely based on team battles, which just ask for a tactical approach. I guess that's the difference between the two big ones; CoD tads to be a bit over the top action-based, while Battlefield tries to keep it realistic (hence why thinking is very important).

That Duke, Doom and Wolfenstein have a different feel for you is not strange at all, they are pretty much the genesis of the genre and quite the epitome of a "mindless" shooter.
That said, I still play Doom multiplayer almost daily!

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply