Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
crazy bidding on a high end crt in japan
Topic Started: Oct 1 2017, 10:04 PM (160 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ninty82
Oct 1 2017, 10:04 PM
How much would you spend on a good crt?
Back in the late 90's I paid roughly $800 for my 32 inch Panasonic Tau. Here in the United States we don't have SCART but my Tau did have S-Video and component inputs. The picture quality on that heavy beast was amazing! :yeah:

How much would I pay for a high quality CRT television today. I doubt I'd be willing to pay more than $50. That's because most of my video game collection supports progressive scan and the stuff that doesn't I can easily emulate via the Wii or on a Raspberry Pi.

Recently I was fortunate enough to get a really nice 14 inch Toshiba CRT for free. I figure between it and my 20 inch Toshiba that I bought new around 2005, I'm good until they either put me in an old folk's home or I die. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ninty82

Grizzmeister: yeah, that crt was a new one or second hand? 800 bucks for new one sounds like a normal price for a decent crt back then no?

Yes it was new. The reason I bought the Panasonic Tau when I did was because the price had just dropped from $1,000 to $800.

Here in the U.S. you can still find nice used CRT's for free. Most of the time the owner is willing to give the set away to anyone who is physically capable of carrying the television off. That's because anything over 25 inches is fairly heavy and also because many landfills don't accept electronics.

So at what point does it make more sense to invest in something like a Framemeister rather than pay an outrageous amount for an old CRT?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply