Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 mini Predictions; Warning: Possible NaCl Exposure
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 12:11 PM (2,399 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So I looked for an n64 mini thread to put this in but I couldn't find one. Feel free to move this if you need to. I think the direction this topic would be going though merits its own thread.

With the success of the NES and SNES minis and an apparent trademark application for the N64 controller, the possibility of an N64 mini in 2018 is pretty big. I know we all have a list of games we want to see on the console. But more often than not, there's a big difference between what we want and what we expect will actually be on the console.

I'd like to see your predictions of what we will see on the N64 mini, and then when it comes out we can compare for fun :dance:

For my list I chose 20 games with a "secret 21st" just like on the SNES mini. I don't think there will be more than that. Most of my choices come from games we have already seen on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles, but a couple come from third parties that have supported the NES and SNES. I'm also dividing my list into categories based on reasoning from the other two console's rosters.

NINTENDO'S SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Master Quest unlocked after getting to a certain point in the original)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Yoshi's Story
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Pokemon Snap

NINTENDO'S MULTIPLAYER GAMES
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
1080 Snowboarding
Wave Race 64
F-Zero X
Pokemon Puzzle League (NA only, not sure what J game would replace it)

THIRD-PARTY GAMES
Bomberman 64
Ogre Battle 64
Harvest Moon 64

That's my list of 20 (+1) games for the console. I do have some honorable mentions that could potentially be interchanged for the ones on top, but they're not as likely to me.

Sin and Punishment
Excitebike 64
Mega Man 64
F-Zero X Expansion Kit
Hybrid Heaven
Mario Party 3

To clarify, I unfortunately didn't include any of the Rare games which is a shame but we've got Rare Replay for those. Also no Goldeneye because of the licensing hurdles, and as much as I would love to include the Pokemon Stadium games, I don't see them happening. I did think about including some of the minigames as unlockable bits, though, especially Sushi-Go-Round and Rock Harden.

I did want to talk about one more thing that might be controversial - I know I mentioned it in a previous thread so some of you might see where this is going. Instead of a replica of the N64 controller that attaches via Wii Remote connector, I'm really leaning towards including one or two Gamecube controllers styled after the 64, gray with a blue A button and a green B button.

There are a couple of issues with replicating the trident style that this would solve. Both the NES and SNES controllers have been perfect replicas apart from the connector. With the N64 controller we have the analog stick issue to worry about. If they used the original design, people would complain about the sticks wearing down over time like the originals. If they went with a Lodgenet style stick, people might complain that it wasn't authentic.

With Gamecube controllers we'd have a very comfortable style controller that already feels natural with the N64 games on the Wii's virtual console. Also the connectors would be circular so they wouldn't look out of place on the front of the system's chassis and we hopefully wouldn't have an issue with plug covers like the SNES mini. In addition, Nintendo could sell the controllers individually to get started for the inevitable Smash Bros. on the Switch since the community refuses to let go.

So these are my thoughts - I can't wait to hear y'alls. :n64: forever!

Edit: switched Ogre Battle and Mega Man 64; honestly it could go either way with the third parties...and that’s not even counting Rare games
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Oct 22 2017, 08:33 AM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
There is an N64 mini thread somewhere around here because I remember posting in it. Although I personally wouldn't buy one no matter what.

I bet Japan gets Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and America doesn't just like the Super Famicom mini. Heck Japan got Tetris Attack too and America didn't, so actually Pokemon Puzzle League seems more likely for Japan, probably both regions. And I promise Hybrid Heaven has no chance in hell, it's no classic and Konami hasn't ever acknowledged it since.

You know what game the Japanese version might get and would be really cool to see? Mysterious Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer 2. That game was originally going to be released on Wii virtual console I believe, but they remade the first game on Nintendo DS instead. And I believe the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are still a thing between Nintendo and Spike Chunsoft. Nintendo helped with Shiren 2 with several programmers and art assistants working on it to help Chunsoft, and even Creatures and HAL Labrotory are thanked in the credits, so Nintendo definitely did their fare share in the game too despite it being 3rd party.

The game was popular as hell too. It was one of the highest rated games in Famitsu that year and highest selling game it's launch week for any console, and give or take sold around 283,991 copies, which is the 24th best selling Japanese game, and 2nd best selling Japanese exclusive (just behind Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6). It's Japans most classic RPG behind Paper Mario, so I can see it finally coming back to give the thing 1 more RPG because the Snes mini had like 6.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 12 2017, 12:36 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Shellshocker18: Y u no buy N64 mini? Is it because you already have the cartridges? I do get that but I'm probably still going to get one anyway.

Also, I still find it shocking that Japan hasn't gotten Pokemon Puzzle League in any form. It never came out for Wii VC over there either. I forgot about the Goemon games though. And that Mystery Dungeon game sounds like a cool alternative too :)

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
20.... That's hard man...

From my memories and location, my expectations would be:

- Super Mario 64
- Mario Kart 64
- The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (And I as well think that Master Quest will be the "surprise" release)
- Star Fox 64 / Lylatwars
- Super Smash Brothers
- Yoshi's Story
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
- Castlevania
- Mario Party
- Mario Tennis
- Mario Golf
- Pilotwings 64
- F-Zero X
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Blast Corps
- Bomberman 64
- Cruis'n USA
- International Superstar Soccer
- Hybrid Heaven

Again, this is based on my memory of what was popular/sold well around here in Europe at the time, and not necessarily my personal favorites.

Games, although licensed, definitely not impossible for release:
- Donkey Kong 64 (I mean, they did release DKC for SNES Mini)
- Goldenye (see DK64)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Since I already own all the N64 games I ever wanted, I'm really not that interested in the N64 Mini's software lineup but rather its hardware choices instead. I'm curious if Nintendo will again use an Allwinner processor and if so, will it also be powerful enough to run GameCube software too.

With respect to the N64's Mini's controller, I'd like exact replicas of the original with either a Wii connector, USB interface or GameCube plug. Any one of those three would be fine by me. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
Not so much a prediction, but a wish. I'd like to see a controller with two joysticks that can act as player 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for games that support that (GoldenEye and PD). Inauthentic, but it would make those games more appealing by making them a bit more modern. Also, if they do drop the trident, I'd at least hope they do 2 Z buttons like on the Hori MiniPad.

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
Every single Mario game released for the system + Star Fox, OOT and MM, Smash, F-ZERO and Kirby, as well as some misc. titles like Pilotwings

It will be completely lame without Rare games,TBH

Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The controllers for me too are the most exciting part. And wondering if there'd be an adapter for the N64 Classic Controller to be used on the original hardware. Anyone done this for the NES or SNES yet?

As hard as all this has been to find, I don't anticipate this being an EASY option to get a new N64 controller. BUT if there were some hardware revisions inside the controller to make the thumbstick more durable, it would be worth the quest to have a controller that wasn't sand running through the hourglass every moment you used it.

For the games, I could almost see Nintendo striking a deal with Rare/MS on something like this. Unlike virtual console where you'd probably licence the game(s) for X number of years or months at whatever cost per download ... you can forecast that, but it's a moving target.

Here, you know exactly how many units you will produce. It's pretty safe to say you'll tell them all through. If they can agree to a set one time royalty, you can do one clean cut deal and go your separate ways. I think there's a CHANCE Rare games could make an appearance.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@kartmaster: Your argument for the rare games does make sense. One of the reasons I started this thread was to see if I could make a compelling list of 20ish games for the system without including anything from Rare. But I probably want to make a second list with the Rare games.

What to replace? It depends on the number of Rare games we’d be getting, but probably MegaMan, Harvest Moon, or Kirby would be pretty likely candidates. Also maybe Pokémon Puzzle League - Nintendo didn’t seem to eager to get it to us on the Wii U and I have to wonder if there’s licensing issues with 4kids which may be why Japan still hasn’t gotten it.

I don’t see any M-rated games making it to the mini so Conker and Perfect Dark are out. Which is a real shame as Perfect Dark would be easier to license than Goldeneye and more than fills the void in my opinion. The most likely I could see would be Banjo Kazooie, followed by DK64, then Blast Corps and Tooie, and then Diddy Kong Racing (only because of Conker’s presence). Not sure about Jet Force Gemini - thinking it might be a bit of a stretch.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Oct 17 2017, 08:29 PM.

Kamikaze
I'd say Blast Corps is a stretch. As far as I remember that game was made by DMA (now known as Rockstar) and not so much Rare.
It's a fun game, but I don't see it happening.

Other than that, I wish they put Kirby in there. Would be the biggest reason to buy it. Same goes for Mario Party 3 insted of 2, as 3 is more expensive.
Edited by Kamikaze, Oct 17 2017, 10:47 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Kamikaze
Oct 17 2017, 10:46 PM
I'd say Blast Corps is a stretch. As far as I remember that game was made by DMA (now known as Rockstar) and not so much Rare.
It's a fun game, but I don't see it happening.

Other than that, I wish they put Kirby in there. Would be the biggest reason to buy it. Same goes for Mario Party 3 insted of 2, as 3 is more expensive.
Blast Corps is fully developed by Rare, as a quick google search or look at the credits will tell you. Even dev interviews with Rare staff have never once mention DMA, who honestly had their hands full at that time anyway. I don't know why anyone debates the Rare games outside DK64. How is Jet Force Gemini supposed to be anymore of a stretch than Banjo-Kazooie?

I thought my Shiren 2 suggestion was neat, as amongst all the internet rumors for a thing that doesn't exist yet, I never saw anyone suggest that real possibility. Out of the rest of the N64 Japanese Exclusives the only ones with real possibility come from Noise and Treasure.

Noise made Custom Robo & V2 but V2 is more likely. Custom Robo Ray appeared in Smash Brawl as an assist trophy, but Custom Robo is absent from Smash 4. I believe Noise is no longer paid to be a second party company to Nintendo, since their website shows mobile phone games from companies like Square. They expressed interest years ago about a new Custom Robo so Nintendo could pay a licensing fee with probably few issues. Nintendo also personally funded the original 2 games and had staff help out with them though the last entry was in 2006

Treasure made Sin & Punishment & Mischief Makers - S&P is more likely but Treasure now exists mostly as a company who licenses out there franchises to anyone who wants to pay, so Nintendo could pay to license their N64 exclusives. Bangai-O is both the most obscure game, and also had versions on other consoles so It won't ever have a chance at inclusion

Now Banpresto properties are now owned by Namco, so I can just barely imagine Super Robot Wars 64. It did okay in Japan but I don't think it's classic enough like Shiren.

Unfortunatly most the N64 best games are in limbo since most the companies are gone, and even many of the N64's best games don't feel triple A. Like DMA with Body Harvrest and Silicon Valley. Both great, and technically they are owned by Take 2 Interactive who is right now porting LA Noire to Switch, but Nintendo just can't advertise them as Classics. The companies weren't on good terms back then and they have only done sporadic business since. Even though I think Body Harvest is just as big a part of the N64's Legacy as Nintendo's biggest games. It was reveled the same day as the system, 1 of the original 13. I wish it would happen, though I'd probably get sick of all the forum posts talking about it then
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 18 2017, 12:27 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kamikaze
You're right. I must be confusing it with another game (as it somehow feels more like a DMA game than a Rare game to me with all the destruction). Must have confused it with Body Harvest..

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Kamikaze
Oct 18 2017, 01:06 AM
You're right. I must be confusing it with another game (as it somehow feels more like a DMA game than a Rare game to me with all the destruction). Must have confused it with Body Harvest..
The vehicles do handle in a similar "they turn fast but rigidly and can never flip over"" kinda way, and It's definatly not as gigantic as most other Rare games from then. DMA always made smaller scale stuff and had a fair few puzzly games, more puzzle games than Rare.

Actually now that I think of it, the thing on the cover of Blast Corps and Adam from Body Harvest look insanely similar, both blocky with an orange color scheme.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 18 2017, 02:53 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Oct 18 2017, 12:19 AM
I don't know why anyone debates the Rare games outside DK64. How is Jet Force Gemini supposed to be anymore of a stretch than Banjo-Kazooie?

Treasure made Sin & Punishment & Mischief Makers - S&P is more likely but Treasure now exists mostly as a company who licenses out there franchises to anyone who wants to pay, so Nintendo could pay to license their N64 exclusives. Bangai-O is both the most obscure game, and also had versions on other consoles so It won't ever have a chance at inclusion
Jet Force Gemini is more of a stretch to me because it was one of the lesser received of Rare’s n64 offerings. It’s not considered one of the greats like Banjo-Kazooie by most people. But it might be the “best option” of getting a Rare shooter on the classic too so idk.

I didn’t realize treasure made mischief makers along with sin and punishment. That’s a game that seems to be getting a lot more exposure as a “cult hit” if YouTube is anything to go by.

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora’s Mask
3. Rogue Squadron
4. Episode One Racer
5. Super Mario 64
6. Mario Kart 64
7. Mario Party 2
8. Goldeneye
9. Harvest Moon 64
10. Paper Mario
11. Super Smash Bros
12. World Driver Championship
13. Ogre Battle 64
14. Turok 2
15. Pokémon Snap
16. Shadows of the Empire
17. Wave Race 64
18. 1080
19. Excitebike 64
20. Star Fox 64
And.....
21. Clay Fighters: Sculpter’s Cut just because

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

I would get it whatever games are on there so that if I feel like playing a game that happens to be on it, that's that much less wear on an original controller (",)

I think Sin and Punishment could be their '21st' game.

retro4ever
i think the list of games will be predictable: all 1st party titles and some konami / capcom games.

the success of this will depend on having the rare titles (without them, this is a pointless release) and / or the ability to hack later and add the rare titles anyway. but seeing how many rare titles used custom code, i bet most of them wont work on the "native" NERD emulator.

it will be interesting to see what they do with this, for sure

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
I think whatever games they put on it, it will likely not be able to handle any more than that. Both in storage and processing power. There are games that are emulated well, and games that are terribly emulated.

As I understand it, the SNES mini cannot actually handle having all 700+ ROMs loaded on it when hacked. You start running into save state issues and the like.

retro4ever
mother 64 was apparently 60% completed before being scrapped, but it was eventually completed in 2D form for the GBA.

would it be unrealistic to hope, they would use the 3D assets they already have, and implement them over the finished 2D template?

that could be a worthy 21st game with the same impact, if not more, as starfox 2

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
retro4ever
Oct 21 2017, 09:47 AM
the success of this will depend on having the rare titles (without them, this is a pointless release) and / or the ability to hack later and add the rare titles anyway. but seeing how many rare titles used custom code, i bet most of them wont work on the "native" NERD emulator.

it will be interesting to see what they do with this, for sure
A lot of people are saying releasing a 64 mini would be “pointless” without Rare games; i’m not so sure about that statement. It would definitely be a major disappointment but Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are reason enough to get something together.

And even with newer versions that take the games to the next level, the original Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 are still esteemed pretty highly, particularly the latter for its battle mode which newer games in the series choose not to emulate.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Sorry for being a negative nancy here, but people aren't looking realistically at this at all, up to ridiculous proportions.
People are looking way too much at what they personally want, and too little to what Nintendo would actually do.

One thing I'm pretty much certain of, they will not program/reprogram any games, released or unreleased.
I've seen many ideas, Mother 3 is a big example among other unreleased titles, and people expecting a "plus mode" where textures and even polygons are changed to a modern look.

While this is all technically possible, why would they bother? For a system like this?

The sole reason that SF2 was on the SNES Mini was because it was a finished product, 100% done, ready to be shipped out and canned at the very last moment, with little to no additional programming required for the SNES Mini.
What games in that vain does the N64 have? All I can think of is either 40 Winks or Glover 2, both very unlikely to be released as they're third party, they're no system sellers and they weren't even that much anticipated at the time in the first place (and I'm not even sure if they really are 100% complete).

People are also fantasizing so much about the controller, but most likely they will be replicas of the original with a Wii plug, just like the NES and SNES mini. Why would they bother changing that formula?

As for the games, I think it can be quite simple; if it's not released on Virtual Console, it will most likely not be on the N64 Mini.
Also, who says that 20 games will be on this system? The NES Mini had 30, the SNES had 20 (+1), 10 less for no specific reason except memory. I wouldn't be surprised if the N64 Mini would end up with 10-15 titles instead.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong by Nintendo, but people shouldn't expect so much.
That really is pretty much the thing for all these expectations/wishes; It's all possible, but why would they bother?

That said, I will still buy this anyway, regardless of which features or games it will contain. :yeah:

retro4ever
Vaettur
Oct 22 2017, 10:55 AM
Sorry for being a negative nancy here, but people aren't looking realistically at this at all, up to ridiculous proportions.
People are looking way too much at what they personally want, and too little to what Nintendo would actually do.

One thing I'm pretty much certain of, they will not program/reprogram any games, released or unreleased.
I've seen many ideas, Mother 3 is a big example among other unreleased titles, and people expecting a "plus mode" where textures and even polygons are changed to a modern look.

While this is all technically possible, why would they bother? For a system like this?

The sole reason that SF2 was on the SNES Mini was because it was a finished product, 100% done, ready to be shipped out and canned at the very last moment, with little to no additional programming required for the SNES Mini.
What games in that vain does the N64 have? All I can think of is either 40 Winks or Glover 2, both very unlikely to be released as they're third party, they're no system sellers and they weren't even that much anticipated at the time in the first place (and I'm not even sure if they really are 100% complete).

People are also fantasizing so much about the controller, but most likely they will be replicas of the original with a Wii plug, just like the NES and SNES mini. Why would they bother changing that formula?

As for the games, I think it can be quite simple; if it's not released on Virtual Console, it will most likely not be on the N64 Mini.
Also, who says that 20 games will be on this system? The NES Mini had 30, the SNES had 20 (+1), 10 less for no specific reason except memory. I wouldn't be surprised if the N64 Mini would end up with 10-15 titles instead.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong by Nintendo, but people shouldn't expect so much.
That really is pretty much the thing for all these expectations/wishes; It's all possible, but why would they bother?

That said, I will still buy this anyway, regardless of which features or games it will contain. :yeah:
yes, ocarina of time, majora's mask and mario 64 are great games....but people have those on the 3DS

the mini64 would be a hard sell without the rare games. goldeneye and banjo kazooie are as essential as zelda / mario on the N64.

mother 3 could be the incentive to buy the N64 mini, if they can't put the rare games on it.

i think a 3D mother 3 would be an incentive to a lot of people, regardless of what other games are on the mini N64.

i was hyped for the mini nes and snes, but man if earthbound 64 is on there.... the internet will explode. and nintendo knows that.

depending on how much work / time it would take to finish the remaining 40%, with today's technology, i wouldnt totally rule it out

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I stand by my point, that being; Technically a lot is possible, but they won't bother.

Also, Mother 3 technically didn't got cancelled, but was moved to a different console, which didn't got released outside of Japan despite millions of pleas.

As much as I'd love to see this happen too, don't count on it.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Vaettur: I do get where you’re coming from - it’s why i’m trying to keep my list realistic even though I opened up the can of worms about the controllers.

They probably will work the same way (replica of the original, Wii classic controller plug, cord that desperately needs to be longer)) but I couldn’t help but think of the issues with the control stick and general unpopularity of the the three prongs. I personally never had a problem with it but the n64 was my first system. I still hear a lot of gripes from people about it.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Been thinking about the controller. I wouldn't doubt they would revise the thumbstick if it would save money with materials that are cheaper than they were in 1996 while maintaining the quality. They definitely aren't using the same PCBs in the NES and SNES Mini controllers.

Curious on the price though. The controller is going to be considerably more expensive than the previous Classic Editions. I don't think you can include two controllers in like a retro "Atomic Purple" edition and keep that thing under $100 unless they want to eat some profit on that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
Considering that the N64 has four ports and actually made much use of the fact, I think it will come with just one gray controller. Other colors would likely become available.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Now that we know about Switch update 4.00, GameCube controller ports are more relevant to Nintendo’s current hardware than Wii remote attachments. Just sayin ;)

I wouldn’t mind an N64 replica with a GameCube plug. No matter what happens, though, a recent article I read did point out that the N64 mini’s controller will be a bigger deal than the Nes or Snes. Not only is it more complex, but it’s bulkier too.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The GCN ports would be cool and would fit the N64 asthetic a lot better. I wonder at that scale though as small as these things are if 4 ports would even fit on the front, or if they'd have to hide two on the sides or something with panels like they did the SNES mini on the front.
Edited by kartmaster, Oct 25 2017, 07:39 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
kartmaster
Oct 25 2017, 07:39 AM
The GCN ports would be cool and would fit the N64 asthetic a lot better. I wonder at that scale though as small as these things are if 4 ports would even fit on the front, or if they'd have to hide two on the sides or something with panels like they did the SNES mini on the front.
I thought about having the 4 ports on the front and moving the logo to the top, either on a fake cartridge, on the expansion pak “cover”, or maybe like “Nintendo 64 mini” rolling along the edge of the top of the system.

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
I think the n64 classic has been leaked the games for console and on the nintendo uk website.

Classic n64 games

But could be for the wii u virtual console tho :/
Edited by Boomdiers, Nov 20 2017, 06:54 AM.
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: