Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 mini Predictions; Warning: Possible NaCl Exposure
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 12:11 PM (3,180 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Since I already own all the N64 games I ever wanted, I'm really not that interested in the N64 Mini's software lineup but rather its hardware choices instead. I'm curious if Nintendo will again use an Allwinner processor and if so, will it also be powerful enough to run GameCube software too.

With respect to the N64's Mini's controller, I'd like exact replicas of the original with either a Wii connector, USB interface or GameCube plug. Any one of those three would be fine by me. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I know it'll never happen but wouldn't online multiplayer support for Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, F-Zero X and Super Smash Bros. make an N64 Mini a must-have. :)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The White Falcon
Dec 4 2017, 07:22 PM
I think that's rumored to be one of the reasons the "Virtual Console" for Switch is delayed - they're working on an online framework for a lot of the titles.
Really?! I hadn't heard that. It makes sense, though, since games like Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. are at their best when played against other real live people.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Could Nintendo include 4 controllers at a $120 MSRP and still turn a profit on the N64 Mini? The more I think about it the more I feel the N64 Classic Edition has to ship with 4 controllers for games like Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2. :huh:

Perhaps Nintendo will only include two controllers in the box and sell others individually. That solution actually works quite well for me but I'm not sure how casuals would feel about it. What are your thoughts?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Toniokart64
Jan 5 2018, 11:13 AM
The “4 controller” issue is yet another reason to go for GameCube controllers/controller ports in my opinion. It would make getting a full set a whole lot easier, that’s for sure.
Ultimately this is the smartest solution, isn't it. This is especially true when you consider that Nintendo will probably start selling GameCube controllers again in the future for the inevitable Super Smash Bros. game for the Switch.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If Nintendo does release an N64 Mini this year I have a feeling it'll be even more successful than their two previous classic edition mini consoles. Why? Well, because neither the Raspberry Pi nor the original Wii emulate N64 games very well. Granted, the Virtual Console N64 titles on the Wii and Wii U aren't bad but almost all of them have some minor issue that keeps them from being as good as the original console versions.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Mar 6 2018, 09:12 AM
The issues on VC are so minor that it was acceptable enough for Nintendo to release them.
For the most part I agree although some of the VC ports are much better than others. For example, Mario Kart 64 is really good while at the same time F-Zero X has a lot of ugly tearing of textures. I suspect this is why the tunnel portion of the Sand Ocean track in the Jack Cup was altered.

Anyone who has played F-Zero X on a modern PC with a good graphics card knows that the game can look much better than it did on the original N64 hardware. This is why I hope the N64 Mini is powerful enough to emulate and upscale the original ROMs rather than resort to running the Virtual Console releases.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Apr 7 2018, 09:25 AM
Do you think this increases the odds of the N64 mini getting announced soon or do things just stay the same?
I hope it gets announced soon because I'm very eager to find out which games will be included. :w00t:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Every detail about a possible N64 Classic Edition has me excited ranging from the lineup of games to the hardware specs and how Nintendo will handle the controller. News of its release can't come soon enough if you ask me!

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Random thought: Since the original N64 shared the same case in all regions Nintendo will probably be able to save money when producing a Mini version. I guess the only regional differences will be in the software lineup this time around. :huh:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
So if Nintendo creates an emulator for the N64 Classic Edition that runs ROMs perfectly, will hackers be able to lift that emulator to run it on PCs?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Another thought just popped in to my head, the SNES Classic Edition's best output was only 720p but shouldn't the N64 Classic aim for native 1080p?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Red Shadow
Apr 9 2018, 08:28 PM
Plus, I wonder how they'll work out the memory card/rumble pak and other assorted controller accessories.
I wonder about this too. To my mind it doesn't make sense to offer storage and rumble peripherals for the N64 Mini when those features could be built in to the controller right from the start.

I do hope that Nintendo figures out a practical way to include rumble support on the Classic for the games that originally had it because titles like F-Zero X and Super Smash Bros. really benefit from the feature. Rumble Pak support is a big reason why I still play these two games on the original N64 hardware from time to time.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Classic editions are primarily meant to invoke massive amounts of nostalgia and for this reason I don't see Nintendo releasing an N64 Mini with a GameCube controller. The N64 controller is iconic and that's why Nintendo has to include some reasonable facsimile of it with the N64 Classic Edition.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
To knock the legs out from underneath scalpers, I'd love to see Nintendo offer N64 Classic Edition consoles through retail outlets and also directly though their online store.

I've been saying this for years now, it's time for game companies to figure out ways of getting the parasites known as 'video game resellers' out of the water so video game enthusiasts can start affordably enjoying their hobby again.

Check out singer Taylor Swift's novel approach for thwarting scalpers.

The new way Taylor Swift is selling concert tickets could be a game-changer

Quote:

Taylor Swift made sparks fly last week when she announced a new approach to selling concert tickets. Instead of "first come, first served" - which invites predation by bots - Swift's upcoming tour will sell tickets first to the people who engage the most with Swift's website.

Swift is using Ticketmaster's Verified Fan program. Users register and then undertake "boost activities" like buying Swift's new album, sharing links on social media and watching videos. When tickets go on sale, they'll be offered to fans in order, according to who did the most "boosting."

The goal, as Swift explains in an animated cat video, is to make sure that tickets get to superfans instead of scalpers.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Not to go too far off on a tangent but maybe Taylor Swift got tired of seeing nothing but 40 year old men in the front row of her concerts. :lol:

Back to my point: It'd be nice to see Nintendo take steps to completely remove parasitic scalpers from their Classic series supply chains. Also, selling from their online store would make it easier for people to buy replacement controllers and such if they get worn out or destroyed by a misbehaved pet.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Apr 26 2018, 09:11 AM
Scalpers will always find a way, also it's not like the resellers (or Nintendo for that matter) are complaining, they get their money. And since they are the ones deciding how to bring it to the customer, I don't see why they would change that formula.
I don't believe you have all the facts.

Reggie on SNES Classic: Don't pay scalpers, stock 'dramatically increased'

Quote:

If you're thinking about caving in and buying a SNES Classic at those exorbitant scalper prices on eBay and other sites, then stop. Reggie Fils-Aime (which I always read as Feels-Anime) told Financial Times that Nintendo "dramatically increased" production for SNES Classic and that "I would strongly urge you not to over-bid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites.... You shouldn't [have to] pay more than $79.99."

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The logic is simple, if Nintendo makes it clear to consumers that they will produce and distribute enough Classic consoles to meet demand - that immediately creates a disincentive for scalpers to hoard inventory. Offering the Mini consoles directly from their online store reaffirms Nintendo's commitment and ultimately scalpers are forced to get real jobs and abandon their miscreant behavior. :)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Can Nintendo manufacture a modern N64 controller inexpensively enough to make a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition financially viable? I guess that's the only remaining question I have. It wasn't such a big issue with the NES and SNES Classics as their controllers are relatively simple but the N64 is another story entirely. The N64's pad uses a lot more plastic which undoubtedly would add to the total manufacturing cost.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
May 1 2018, 03:44 PM
The N64 only ever came with one or 2 controllers, so I don't expect that to change.
So you're thinking that Nintendo will sell additional controllers separately? They probably won't have much choice since so many fan's favorite memories of the N64 revolve around 4-player Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros..

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
May 11 2018, 06:09 AM
Did they announce either of the other two at E3 or separately?
I seem to recall the announcement for the SNES Classic Edition coming after E3 but that may just be my old man memory failing me. Regardless, E3 is about a month away so we'll undoubtedly be getting some exciting game related news then even it doesn't include confirmation of an N64 Mini.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The N64 Classic Edition was a no-show at E3. :( That's okay I guess as news of its release will undoubtedly be more impactful after the event. :)

So what happened to all the people who used to contribute here? It's as if as prices on N64 collectibles began to drop, so did the enthusiasm. Were the so-called "N64 enthusiasts" only in it for the money they could make by selling their wares on eBay?

Another question: What hurt N64 collecting most - high prices on legitimate stuff, counterfeits or emulation?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Jun 17 2018, 04:35 PM
they were there for the money
high prices hurt more than counterfeit since high prices made the counterfeit to appear in the first place
those who really love/loved this console stopped to buy games they didnt have since prices were so high that it wasnt worth it.
Yeah I understand what you mean, at a certain point it started making more sense to buy something like an EverDrive 64 rather than being ripped off by greedy scalpers.

Ironically, I suspect the same people who scalped N64 cartridges and peripherals will probably be the same ones who scalp N64 Classic Editions if and when they come out. :-/

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've got all the original N64 cartridges I ever wanted to play and/or collect. However, before I buy an EverDrive 64 I'll probably want to see what the N64 mini brings to the table. For probably about the same price as an ED64 the Mini could also offer HDMI output which is an expensive mod on real N64 hardware. The only remaining questions would be - how difficult is it to put ROMs on the N64 Mini and how well do they play. :)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Jun 18 2018, 06:31 PM
true dat. but will thge n64 mini be able to handle the ROMs correctly. thats another question we'll need to wait.
Those are probably the biggest questions I have about the N64 Mini right now. How powerful will the processor be and will Nintendo create a custom emulator for the Mini that can handle games like Killer Instinct Gold?

I'm also interested in how Nintendo is going to handle the controller but that's really secondary as I imagine they'll try to mimic the original as closely as possible.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Jun 21 2018, 11:07 AM
@Cabanon: B.D.D. (Backlog Deficit Disorder) is a very serious condition, but it does require getting up from seat, walking to shelf, selecting new game, switching discs out, etc. What we see with GADD is that when the next game is only a few button clicks away, the symptoms are even more acute, lol
I can attest that this is true. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It's almost August and still no word from Nintendo about an N64 Mini, I'm starting to get worried. :(

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I like your line of thinking BDR and agree that the N64 Mini needs Microsoft owned IP's like GoldenEye and Killer Instinct Gold to be successful.

I'm not saying that KIG is anywhere near as influential or iconic as GE but it's probably the only quality fighting game that people associate with the N64, so I think it's important to include it in the N64 Classic Edition's lineup of games.

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply