Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 mini Predictions; Warning: Possible NaCl Exposure
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 12:11 PM (988 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So I looked for an n64 mini thread to put this in but I couldn't find one. Feel free to move this if you need to. I think the direction this topic would be going though merits its own thread.

With the success of the NES and SNES minis and an apparent trademark application for the N64 controller, the possibility of an N64 mini in 2018 is pretty big. I know we all have a list of games we want to see on the console. But more often than not, there's a big difference between what we want and what we expect will actually be on the console.

I'd like to see your predictions of what we will see on the N64 mini, and then when it comes out we can compare for fun :dance:

For my list I chose 20 games with a "secret 21st" just like on the SNES mini. I don't think there will be more than that. Most of my choices come from games we have already seen on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles, but a couple come from third parties that have supported the NES and SNES. I'm also dividing my list into categories based on reasoning from the other two console's rosters.

NINTENDO'S SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Master Quest unlocked after getting to a certain point in the original)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Yoshi's Story
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Pokemon Snap

NINTENDO'S MULTIPLAYER GAMES
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
1080 Snowboarding
Wave Race 64
F-Zero X
Pokemon Puzzle League (NA only, not sure what J game would replace it)

THIRD-PARTY GAMES
Bomberman 64
Ogre Battle 64
Harvest Moon 64

That's my list of 20 (+1) games for the console. I do have some honorable mentions that could potentially be interchanged for the ones on top, but they're not as likely to me.

Sin and Punishment
Excitebike 64
Mega Man 64
F-Zero X Expansion Kit
Hybrid Heaven
Mario Party 3

To clarify, I unfortunately didn't include any of the Rare games which is a shame but we've got Rare Replay for those. Also no Goldeneye because of the licensing hurdles, and as much as I would love to include the Pokemon Stadium games, I don't see them happening. I did think about including some of the minigames as unlockable bits, though, especially Sushi-Go-Round and Rock Harden.

I did want to talk about one more thing that might be controversial - I know I mentioned it in a previous thread so some of you might see where this is going. Instead of a replica of the N64 controller that attaches via Wii Remote connector, I'm really leaning towards including one or two Gamecube controllers styled after the 64, gray with a blue A button and a green B button.

There are a couple of issues with replicating the trident style that this would solve. Both the NES and SNES controllers have been perfect replicas apart from the connector. With the N64 controller we have the analog stick issue to worry about. If they used the original design, people would complain about the sticks wearing down over time like the originals. If they went with a Lodgenet style stick, people might complain that it wasn't authentic.

With Gamecube controllers we'd have a very comfortable style controller that already feels natural with the N64 games on the Wii's virtual console. Also the connectors would be circular so they wouldn't look out of place on the front of the system's chassis and we hopefully wouldn't have an issue with plug covers like the SNES mini. In addition, Nintendo could sell the controllers individually to get started for the inevitable Smash Bros. on the Switch since the community refuses to let go.

So these are my thoughts - I can't wait to hear y'alls. :n64: forever!

Edit: switched Ogre Battle and Mega Man 64; honestly it could go either way with the third parties...and that’s not even counting Rare games
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Oct 22 2017, 08:33 AM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Shellshocker18: Y u no buy N64 mini? Is it because you already have the cartridges? I do get that but I'm probably still going to get one anyway.

Also, I still find it shocking that Japan hasn't gotten Pokemon Puzzle League in any form. It never came out for Wii VC over there either. I forgot about the Goemon games though. And that Mystery Dungeon game sounds like a cool alternative too :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@kartmaster: Your argument for the rare games does make sense. One of the reasons I started this thread was to see if I could make a compelling list of 20ish games for the system without including anything from Rare. But I probably want to make a second list with the Rare games.

What to replace? It depends on the number of Rare games we’d be getting, but probably MegaMan, Harvest Moon, or Kirby would be pretty likely candidates. Also maybe Pokémon Puzzle League - Nintendo didn’t seem to eager to get it to us on the Wii U and I have to wonder if there’s licensing issues with 4kids which may be why Japan still hasn’t gotten it.

I don’t see any M-rated games making it to the mini so Conker and Perfect Dark are out. Which is a real shame as Perfect Dark would be easier to license than Goldeneye and more than fills the void in my opinion. The most likely I could see would be Banjo Kazooie, followed by DK64, then Blast Corps and Tooie, and then Diddy Kong Racing (only because of Conker’s presence). Not sure about Jet Force Gemini - thinking it might be a bit of a stretch.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Oct 17 2017, 08:29 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Oct 18 2017, 12:19 AM
I don't know why anyone debates the Rare games outside DK64. How is Jet Force Gemini supposed to be anymore of a stretch than Banjo-Kazooie?

Treasure made Sin & Punishment & Mischief Makers - S&P is more likely but Treasure now exists mostly as a company who licenses out there franchises to anyone who wants to pay, so Nintendo could pay to license their N64 exclusives. Bangai-O is both the most obscure game, and also had versions on other consoles so It won't ever have a chance at inclusion
Jet Force Gemini is more of a stretch to me because it was one of the lesser received of Rare’s n64 offerings. It’s not considered one of the greats like Banjo-Kazooie by most people. But it might be the “best option” of getting a Rare shooter on the classic too so idk.

I didn’t realize treasure made mischief makers along with sin and punishment. That’s a game that seems to be getting a lot more exposure as a “cult hit” if YouTube is anything to go by.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
retro4ever
Oct 21 2017, 09:47 AM
the success of this will depend on having the rare titles (without them, this is a pointless release) and / or the ability to hack later and add the rare titles anyway. but seeing how many rare titles used custom code, i bet most of them wont work on the "native" NERD emulator.

it will be interesting to see what they do with this, for sure
A lot of people are saying releasing a 64 mini would be “pointless” without Rare games; i’m not so sure about that statement. It would definitely be a major disappointment but Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are reason enough to get something together.

And even with newer versions that take the games to the next level, the original Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 are still esteemed pretty highly, particularly the latter for its battle mode which newer games in the series choose not to emulate.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Vaettur: I do get where you’re coming from - it’s why i’m trying to keep my list realistic even though I opened up the can of worms about the controllers.

They probably will work the same way (replica of the original, Wii classic controller plug, cord that desperately needs to be longer)) but I couldn’t help but think of the issues with the control stick and general unpopularity of the the three prongs. I personally never had a problem with it but the n64 was my first system. I still hear a lot of gripes from people about it.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Now that we know about Switch update 4.00, GameCube controller ports are more relevant to Nintendo’s current hardware than Wii remote attachments. Just sayin ;)

I wouldn’t mind an N64 replica with a GameCube plug. No matter what happens, though, a recent article I read did point out that the N64 mini’s controller will be a bigger deal than the Nes or Snes. Not only is it more complex, but it’s bulkier too.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
kartmaster
Oct 25 2017, 07:39 AM
The GCN ports would be cool and would fit the N64 asthetic a lot better. I wonder at that scale though as small as these things are if 4 ports would even fit on the front, or if they'd have to hide two on the sides or something with panels like they did the SNES mini on the front.
I thought about having the 4 ports on the front and moving the logo to the top, either on a fake cartridge, on the expansion pak “cover”, or maybe like “Nintendo 64 mini” rolling along the edge of the top of the system.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I thought they already revealed that it was for all the Wii U virtual console games. There was an article on Nintendolife all about it.

The only game i’m missing on that list though (and would make it an even 20) is smash 64. I know that technically it is outclassed by all its sequels but it’s still a classic dangit :) Other than that i’d be okay with this lineup.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
As much as i’d love for online play to be a thing, I can’t imagine any company taking the time to integrate it into a plug and play system.

Now if Nintendo were to release a dedicated “retro box” with an online store for their older games, like a Wii Virtual Console minus the Wii part, I could definitely see games getting those kinds of updates and i’d buy it in a heartbeat :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
The “4 controller” issue is yet another reason to go for GameCube controllers/controller ports in my opinion. It would make getting a full set a whole lot easier, that’s for sure.

But this is Nintendo we’re talking about; I love em but they make little sense sometimes.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply