Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 game hacks, mods, prototypes, etc
Topic Started: Oct 27 2017, 12:42 PM (298 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Some of you might not be aware that there's a small but fairly active group of people who are hacking (altering) N64 games, with the intention of improving them (say by adding new levels, or fixing bugs), or making them playable to more people (by translating the games to other languages, or making non-N64 games work on the N64). The following list is far from complete, but it contains the ones I know of. And of course, all of the software is free, as the modders don't charge for their hard work.

Note that because these are mostly hacks of commercial game files, it's against the terms of this forum for me to post links. For the mods and hacks, you'll have to track down the patches yourself, and apply them to a suitable rom file. A good search engine, such as Google, will help you, but please respect copyright and don't pass along any copyrighted files.

Game mods:

A handful of N64 games have been extensively hacked and altered. These include Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time.

Goldeneye, for example, has been hacked to have new multiplayer levels, new single player levels, and to allow you to play on any multiplayer map with up to four players (so removing the limits where some levels only allow two players). There's even a 'mirror' hack, where the levels are reversed from left to right, which sounds strange, but does make it fell a little like a new game. Plus there is a hack to make the game harder, one to let you ride a motorbike on the Runway level (as Bond does in the film), one which gives you the option of using earlier Bonds (Brosnan, Connery, and Moore) in the multiplayer so you and three friends can each play as a Bond, etc.

Perfect Dark also has mods to add new single and multiplayer levels, and to use the Goldeneye weapons in multiplayer, to make the sims use Timed and Proximity Mines in multiplayer (they're not great with them, but it is fun), to let you use and play as the Skedar or Doctor Carroll in multiplayer, to play multiplayer in the single player levels, to have weather in the multiplayer levels, etc.

There's a total conversion of Goldeneye called Goldfinger 64, which changes the single and multiplayer levels into a new game.

There's an on-going project called Goldeneye X, designed to bring Goldeneye into the Perfect Dark engine, and so give Goldeneye the improvements of the PD engine, such as in-game multiplayer bots (computer controlled enemies), weather effects, better A.I. for NPCs, better drawing distance, etc. It's really good, and as of the current release (v0.5e) the multiplayer is more or less complete, and has all of the Goldeneye weapons, options, levels (all eleven original multiplayer levels, plus ten more levels, some new, some refined), etc (plus unlike in the real Goldeneye, you can play any map with any number of players). The multiplayer levels included are:

Original Goldeneye Levels
-------- ---------------------------

Temple
Complex
Caves
Library
Basement
Stack
Facility
Bunker
Archives
Caverns
Egyptian

Bonus Levels
------------------

Fac Backzone (the part of Facility that is in the single player but wasn't included in the multiplayer version of the map)
Frigate
Archives 1F!
(sort of a remix of the Archives multiplayer level, larger and less closed off)
Streets!
Train
Cradle
Aztec
Citadel
(This was an unfinished multiplayer map that Rare left in the Goldeneye code. It's been fixed up and finished, and is fun to play)
Labyrinth (from The World is Not Enough)
Icicle Pyramid! (from Diddy Kong Racing!)

The single player mode is still far from complete. Most levels are present, but lack any enemies or objectives, and so all you can do is walk around, looking at the scenery. Two levels are fairly complete, with objectives and enemies and everything, but a couple of other levels have faulty clipping (so you can walk through walls or fall through non-existent holes, etc). But it's nice to wander through the levels (and play the two fairly finished levels), and see how it's going to be when it's finished. And when it's completed, you'll be able to play through the Goldeneye single player campaignwith a friend, in co-op mode!

But the multiplayer mode alone is fantastic, *well* worth playing for any first person shooter fan. I bought an Everdrive 64 just to play it on my N64, because current N64 emulators are still so unreliable or just don't 'feel' right.

There are some new maps for F-Zero X, plus a total conversion, called F-Zero X Climax, which contains versions of all 24 tracks from the GBA game, F-Zero Climax, with edited graphics and improvements in the tracks.

There are some new tracks for Mario Kart 64, new levels for Banjo Kazzoie, and a mod for

There are mods for Conker's Bad Fur, so that in the Colors multiplayer game the positions of players and cpus are not being reset or randomized after a teammate puts the opponents flag in their own base. So now you can enjoy the feeling of not having to see your characters position reset or randomized any more. Time has been set to unlimited, and score limits have also been removed. And in the Deathmatch multiplayer game, the enemies are randomly chosen instead of being all Tediz. The maximum number of enemies has been reduced to five (it was initially nine) as more than five with random character models can cause the occasional crash.

Ogre Battle 64 has a patch that allows you to play as Lycanthropes if you like.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask has a patch that changes the game so the objects' locations are randomized, allowing you to enjoy the game again and again without it getting stale for you.

64DD games

There was an add-on disc-drive released for the N64, but it did not sell well, and was only released in Japan. It only had ten games, but now they have all been modded so they will run on an N64 without a 64DD drive, or on emulators. The games are all in Japanese, but Dezaemon DD, and F-Zero X Expansion Pack have been translated into English, and others (such as Simcity 64, and Doshin the Giant) are in the process of being translated. Note that if any of these games required extra hardware then they won't work, but I don't know if any did. I know that Simcity 64, Dezaemon DD, and F-Zero X Expansion Kit work fine and don't need anything extra.

64DD Games:

Mario Artist Paint Studio
Mario Artist Talent Studio
Mario Artist Communication Kit
Mario Artist Polygon Studio
SimCity 64*
Japan Pro Golf Tour 64
Doshin The Giant
F-Zero X Expansion Kit
Doshin the Giant: Tinkling Toddler Liberation Front! Assemble!
Dezaemon DD

* SimCity 64 is not the same as the game SimCity 2000, SimCity 64 is unique, it's the only SimCity game where you can walk around town, or fly in a helicopter, both in first person view. I think you can also drive a car and ride in a train, but I'm not sure (it's very difficult for a non-Japanese speaker to use the game's options). And the 3D view where you build the city, is actually in 3D, instead of just fixed isometric 3D as in other Sim City games, meaning that you can alter your point of view. It seems like a great game, but since it was never released outside of Japan, and even then it was only for the 64DD, the majority of N64 gamers never got to play it. I'd have *loved* to have played an English version, and I'm very keen to see the full translation releases, as at the moment there is only a partial translation available for download.

Posted Image

Aleck64 arcade games

Several arcade games contained N64 compatible hardware, meaning that with some tweaking, those arcade games could be made to work on a real N64. The arcade machines were only released in Japan, as far as I know, but now you can play them on your N64!

Aleck64 games:

Donchan Puzzle Hanabi de Doon!
Eleven Beat
Hi Pai Paradise
Kuru Kuru Fever
Magical Tetris Challenge
Mayjinsen 3
Star Soldier Vanishing Earth Arcade
Super Real Mahjong VS.
Tower and Shaft
Vivid Dolls

Translations

The following are the English translations of Japanese/non-English games that I know of. Bear in mind that these translations are done by fans, who don't charge for their work, and who's familiarity with English or Japanese might not be first class.

Animal Crossing (T-Eng) [!] (Manually set the time*) (I've heard that this can crash, but I don't know as I've not tried it)
Bomberman 64 - Arcade Edition (English translation)
Chameleon Twist (J translated to Eng) (Apparently the Japanese version of this game is far superior to the NTSC/PAL versions**)
Custom Robo (English Translation - Final - 8-Sep-2017)
Densha de Go! 64 ( Train game - English Translation 17-April-2017)
Doubutsu no Mori
Last Legion UX (Yes, the N64 has a mech game!)
Sin and Punishment (Tsumi to Batsu)
Wonder Project J2 (REMOVE rumble pak)

* The cartridge version of Animal Crossing includes a real time clock that keeps time even when the N64 is turned off. The translated version of the game can't have this, of course, as it's just a program file, so it asks what time and date it is when you play it.

** For details of how the Japanese version of Chameleon Twist is better than the NTSC/PAL version, see:

https://tcrf.net/Chameleon_Twist

Bug fixes

I don't know of many bug-fixes for N64 games, especially since I'd imagine that quite a few come as part of a mod or more complete hack. Ones I can think of are:

Space Station: Silicon Valley is well known for having two major bugs. Firstly, it's not possible to pick up the trophy in Fat Bear Mountain - this bug exists in both the NTSC and PAL versions. Much more serious is a bug in just the NTSC version, that causes the N64 to randomly crash if there's an expansion pak present. So if you want to play the NTSC version of the game, then either you have to play it on an N64 that does not an expansion pak (or remove your expansion pak, and replace it with the jumper pak), or put up with random crashings.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, both have fixes and improvements, and you can even play the previously Gamecube-only Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest on your N64 now! All of these fixes work on a real N64 + flashcart, of course.

Prototypes:

There are various prototypes (early versions) of N64 games available, some of games that were never finished or commercially released, others of games that were finished and were sold in the shops.

The ones I know of are:

40 Winks (this is apparently the full, unreleased game)
California speed (PAL).z64
Die Hard 64 Prototype 1 2000-03-15.z64
(Die Hard 64 was never finished, but these three roms contain early level builds)
Die Hard 64 Prototype 2 2000-03-15.z64
Die Hard 64 Prototype 3 2000-03-15.z64
Dragon Sword 64.z64
Frogger 2 (U) (Alpha) [!].z64
Glover 2
(Older Version)
Glover 2 (Unreleased Beta Version - Newer Build).z64
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine - PAL.z64 (the full, never commercially released PAL version of the NTSC game, it's said to have some bug fixes, as the NTSC version did have bugs)
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6 V1.2 (Japanese).z64
LoZ Majora's Mask - Debug - Press L, R and Z simultaneously on the save screen.z64
Mini Racers.z64
O.D.T. (Europe)
(An unreleased game called ODT ("Or Die Trying") said to be the full version, I've not played it myself)
O.D.T. (USA)
Perfect Dark _ntsc_debug_DC
Robotech - Crystal Dreams
Super Mario 64 Super Debug Menu
superman64_prototype
(apparently this is better than the final, released version of the game, in some ways)
Tamiya Racing 64
The World is Not Enough
Tommy Thunder
Toon Panic (Japan)
WildWaters
(Unreleased)

These prototypes vary from early, very limited versions of the games, to so close to the release version that there's no discernible difference to the final, released version of the game (other than some changes to the game's code, that as a player you'd never see). There are other existing prototypes I don't have that are available on the 'net, such as Turok 3, an of course lots of prototypes are owned only by collectors, who prefer not to release them to the public. I don't know how many unreleased prototypes exist, of course.

Utilities and homebrew:

There's not a lot of homebrew (free amateur written software like games, demos, and emulators) for the N64, probably as a result of both the N64 being difficult to program, and you needing an expensive piece of hardware to run the software on your N64 (or else just run the software on an N64 emulator). There is a Windows based track editor for F-Zero X, allowing you to make your own tracks, and there is a NES emulator for the N64, and I've heard an MSX emulator exists too. There are some fan-written games for the N64, but all very simplistic.

There is a very comprehensive Windows based editor for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (this is what is used to create the games' mods, of course), and it now includes editing features for Diddy Kong Racing, Mickey Speedway, and Jet Force Gemini. Editing programs exist for other N64 games, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Banjo Kazooie, allowing you to create new levels, or even total conversions, of these games if you have the time and talent to do so.

Doom, Doom 2, Doom: TNT, and Doom: Evolution, have all been ported to the N64 by Jnmartin84, who also ported the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D.

Since everything I've listed is a rom file (a digital file on a hard drive or SD card) then to play any of them on a real N64, you'll need a flash cartridge (an Everdrive 64, or 64Drive, etc), or else you'll have to play them on an emulator on your PC or Apple Mac, or tablet.

Note that not everything works on a real N64. There are some mods/hacks that only work on emulators, mainly Super Mario 64, or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time mods, but everything I've listed in this post works fine on my Everdrive 64 + N64, as far as I can remember. I don't know which Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time mods are any good, or which ones will and won't work on a real N64, but there is a compatibility list made by a user called The Renegadist (you'll have to google for it) that shows which mods work on a real N64, and which will only work on an emulator.
Edited by Kerr Avon, Oct 27 2017, 12:54 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Sorry mate, I've not really played any Super Mario 64 hacks. I did try a few on the real N64 (via the Everdrive 64), but none worked, and I don't like using N64 emulators, personally. There are supposed to be some stunningly good ones, and you can probably find some good lists via google.

I have heard about Smash Bros 64: 19XX Tournament Edition, but I've not played it, and forgot to list it, so thanks for bringing it up. Doesn't it also add a couple of new multiplayer stages, or am I getting that confused with a hack for one of the later (non-N64) SSB games?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply