Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A few N64 Questions
Topic Started: Nov 22 2017, 07:40 AM (273 Views)
GonzoArmstrong
Member Avatar
Hey I'm new to the site and just recently found a ton of my old N64 games as well as the system up in the attic and got into refurbishing it all. So my questions are:

1. Are there any memory cards that do not have a battery that have the SRAM problem? For example does the Tomee 256KB Memory Pak for N64 have this issue?

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Golf, Super Smash Bros are all games I own or want to own and have the SRAM battery issue... Are there any battery options for someone who has no soldering skills? Do reproduction carts solve those issues? (If so is it worth getting repro carts for those 3 titles?)

3. On that same note would reproduction Pokemon games work with Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2? Also do pokemon reproduction carts get rid of the pesky SRAM battery?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GonzoArmstrong
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Nov 22 2017, 09:27 AM
Hi Gonzo--My best advice on memory paks is to go OEM all the way. Secondly, I am not concerned about the gamepak batteries . . . and refuse to until my NES cart batteries start failing (they have not yet). Last, avoid repros like the plague . . . if fact, they are a plague on gamers and collectors.

What is OEM?

Also I was asking the question about batteries and repro's as my Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold are all dead as well as my Super Smash Bro's game for N64. None of them save anymore. If reproductions have solved that battery issue and save properly I'm all for it personally. (I have no clue if they have solved that issue or work properly). As I have no soldering skills and have no desire to put that much effort in regardless... (Replace every 15-25 years or whatever the average lifespan is).

Also all my N64 Memory Pak's besides my Performance Pro 4 in 1 no longer save... So this is a legitimate concern for me.

Just checking out all my options....

SIDE NOTE: I know alot of "collectors" aren't fans of repro's or replacing labels (I think people need to mind their own business on the latter lol) but what would your opinion be on Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest or Animal Crossing. Games that were either never released on the console or never released in the English Language.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Nintendo-N64-Game-Animal-Crossing-Video-Game-Cartridge-Console-Card-US-English-Language-Version/2336305_32832604852.html

Edited by GonzoArmstrong, Nov 22 2017, 11:27 AM.

GonzoArmstrong
Member Avatar
Yea I've opened them up and cleaned them. They all work (they were all pretty clean inside too). Just none of them save.

http://www.videogamemuseum.com/2012/03/20/easily-repair-your-pokemon-game-boy-color-cartridge/

I've found this which I have not yet tried.. The look is pretty meh but it beats trying to solder when I've never done it before.
Just updating my previous post. I have now tried the repair using electrical tape and it did indeed fix my pokemon gold. So for anyone with no soldering skills this is one option to replace the battery... although you still lose all your old data once the battery dies.
Edited by GonzoArmstrong, Nov 22 2017, 01:40 PM.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply