Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pokken Tournament DX; Pikachu in a Lucha Libre Costume!
Topic Started: Nov 29 2017, 08:32 PM (75 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I have the original Pokken Tournament on the Wii U and it was fantastic. Even though I donít have a Switch (yet?) and probably wonít get this because I canít trade the Wii U version in for it (digital copy), I still canít recommend this game enough. Even if youíre not a big Pokťmon fan thereís enough to have a good time, especially if youíre into fighting games. (cough cough Grizzmeister cough)

Pokken plays more like a traditional fighting game than Smash Bros but still has Smashís simpler controls so itís easy to get into. The Switch version adds team battles, 5 new fighters bringing the total to 21, 1 new set of supports, and split screen multiplayer. The last of these is a big appeal to me as I donít have my gamepad for local multiplayer on the Wii U anymore.

EDIT: if you have Amazon Prime Video thereís a letís play of this game on there that does a good job of filling you in on just about everything. Newcomers can see how the game works (combo of Smash Bros., Tekken and Naruto Ninja Storm) and Wii U owners can see if the new content is worth the upgrade. Decidueye FTW :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Nov 29 2017, 09:30 PM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I only own 4 games for my Wii U and Pokken Tournament is one of them. I actually find it much more enjoyable to play online as a 1-on-1 fighting experience than the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros.. In fact, Pokken Tournament is the game that's in my Wii U right now. My only disappointment with it is that we didn't even get the option to purchase the additional characters from the arcade and Switch versions as DLC. Nonetheless, if you own a Wii U and enjoy fighting games then you're missing out if you don't also own Pokken.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Nov 30 2017, 07:19 AM
I only own 4 games for my Wii U and Pokken Tournament is one of them. I actually find it much more enjoyable to play online as a 1-on-1 fighting experience than the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros.. In fact, Pokken Tournament is the game that's in my Wii U right now. My only disappointment with it is that we didn't even get the option to purchase the additional characters from the arcade and Switch versions as DLC. Nonetheless, if you own a Wii U and enjoy fighting games then you're missing out if you don't also own Pokken.
I can definitely see that; there's something about that behind the character perspective that makes it feel more immersive than Smash 4. Plus come Christmastime I'll be able to play it with a SNES controller :)

I'm disappointed about the lack of DLC too but I like that it's being given a second chance on Switch. Not sure how many people in this forum skipped the Wii U, but if you skipped either it or just Pokken 1.0 it's definitely worth checking out. I felt comfortable in recommending it to a friend who's never played Pokemon before because the action is just good on its own.

With this game, ARMS, and Hyper Street Fighter II the Switch has been getting a lot of fighting games lately. That hasn't been Nintendo's pattern in a very long time but I'm a huge fighting game fan so my finger's still on the pulse for the console. I just spent so much on the Wii U and can't trade in any of it because it's all digital so I gotta on hiatus for now.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

« Previous Topic · Nintendo Switch · Next Topic »
Add Reply