Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Does anybody here have wireless home internet?
Topic Started: Dec 1 2017, 12:31 PM (416 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It's come to my attention that 5G wireless home internet will be available here in the U.S. starting next year. I'm not optimistic about the performance which has me curious - does anybody on the forum have home based wireless internet now? If so would you please share your thoughts on the service? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about copper wires, coax cable or fiber optic service to the home with a wireless router at the end. I'm talking about completely wireless from the internet service provider to your home.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
So I guess the lack of replies means nobody on this forum has wireless home-based internet. That doesn't surprise me as the service has traditionally had trouble delivering what other services like DSL and cable broadband can offer.

My prediction is that 5G wireless home-based internet will fail miserably and that AT&T and Verizon stock will plummet as a result. Those two companies are reported to be the big investors in wireless home-based internet because they want to avoid the substantial financial investment of running fiber optic cable in neighborhoods with a low density of residents.

I live in rural North Carolina and my internet service provider is a cable company called Spectrum. They offer 100 Mbps DL and 20 Mbps upload at an affordable price. That capacity comes in very handy in this day and age of huge updates for PS4 games, digital distribution and streaming video for services like Netflix.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
One of our friend have 4G internet at home since they live in a backroad in a rural area. She isn't a big time internet user (facebook, google search, barely video but it works just fine) and don't need unlimited data. It fits perfectly their needs and works like a charm.

The only problem is the cost, it it much more expensive than standard cable/DSL internet but you have the choice: internet or no internet. with kids, it's not even an option, you have to have it.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Yes, I can see the benefit of wireless home-based internet in rural areas where no other option is available. It serves the purpose well enough for those who aren't serious internet users and/or hardcore online gamers. However, the real long-term solution for a first-world nation like the United States should be a fiber to every home initiative. Hopefully something like that will become a goal when the Trump administration starts working on an infrastructure spending bill in 2018.

Hey, I'm one of the first to admit that all forms of wireless communications have improved dramatically over the last 20 years. Even with that in mind, though, ask any serious Super Smash Bros. or Street Fighter player if they want to play on a wired or wireless connection and the answer will be a resounding - WIRED. :)

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
i get you on that, everything at home is wired except every mobile device. 1x PC, 1x TV, 1x Laptop, 2x ps3, 1x wii, 1x 360, 1x ps2, a/v receiver. I simply hate the lag plus you get only half speed via wireless and much more ping which equal to lag.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I have my PS4 and Wii U wired directly to my router since I regularly play fighting games on both systems. As you know, fighting games like Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. are adversely affected by lag spikes that are often associated with wireless internet. It isn't just that the bandwidth is lower but rather the interference from neighboring wireless networks that causes those pesky lag spikes. Wired internet is the way to go for any fan of twitch based online games. :yeah:

This is why I think AT&T and Verizon's future 5G offerings here in the U.S. will probably just be attractive to those who don't have access to fiber or cable internet to their home. Also, if the cable companies like Comcast and Spectrum lower the rates for their service, 5G home-based internet will probably be dead on arrival.

Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I receive wireless internet service from my provider. I have a box suction cupped to my window on the inside. It is the receiver and you hook this to your router. The signal is broadcast from a pole in the neighbourhood. The bad is occasionally there is a loud thump in the room where it fell. The ritual is to wash the window area and the suction cup, reapply. You have to make sure that it is adjusted and pointed toward that box on the pole, up a little more, over that way a little, now. There are a series of little bars going from red, yellow, to green. Three green, the last being the best signal. This can be tedious at times just messing with the adjustments. And frustrating if you are in the middle of streaming a movie when it falls to the floor. :angry: I can see two of the broadcast boxes from my front window where I have my receiver. I do wifi throughout my house. My phone, PS3, and XBOX 360, I wire. I can be streaming a movie, on the phone VOIP, my wife can be on the kindle fire ebaying, and my daughter and I can be on separate laptops searching the net, at the same time. Any software issues with the receiver are solved with a shutdown and rebooting.

I have been very satisfied with the service. I have no complaints. It streams good for me, movies or gaming. I do personally know people in my city that have had service from it where they could not stream anything, buffering, streaming, buffering, streaming, buffering, and dropped it. That is really the fault of the ones handling the service and running too many people on one broadcast box. I know of one person where they mounted the receiver on the top of their house because the company did not serve in his neighbourhood but they did in the neighbourhood next to him. :huh: So it seems that the service is based on the goof-balls that are handling it. I have had this for several years now.
Edited by Retro Junkie, Dec 23 2017, 07:04 AM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
@Retro Junkie - Thank you for sharing your first-hand impressions! Would you please do a bandwidth test and share it too?

Here's the site I like to use and my results on a cable connection for comparison.

Posted Image

One last question, do you live in an urban or rural area?

Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Today would be a bad day to do that test. Things seem sluggish today. I guess everyone is home for the Holiday. But my wife is streaming Youtube music HD in the next room with no problem. I will wait a little later in the day when I find net surfing a little more responsive to do another one. Supposed to be 5meg download and 1meg upload. This test was performed using my desktop which I have on wifi in the next room from my router.
Posted Image

I live in the urban, city folk area. Don't think they service any rural areas. I am getting this through my electric company. We have two, one for the city and one for the country.

I don't think I am getting accurate readings. According to the site info I shouldn't be able to run Netflix without a lot of buffering or not at all. But I have tried it and it runs great with no buffering in HD.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Retro Junkie, Dec 23 2017, 05:09 PM.

windydoom
does anyone not have it...

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
They have three tiers and I am on the lower one. But it works great and is fast enough to do everything that I need. According to that site info I should be able to do anything that I do. Odd. Maybe it is because I am doing it through wifi.

Posted Image
Edited by Retro Junkie, Dec 24 2017, 05:52 AM.

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
Just did a test to see how I run. Originally from Maine but recently moved to South Carolina for work in the last year.
Posted Image
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Jan 18 2018, 12:22 AM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Pimpin Mainer
Jan 18 2018, 12:19 AM
Originally from Maine but recently moved to South Carolina for work in the last year.
What kind of work are you doing in SC?

Spectrum offers pretty good capacity via their "fiber rich" network. However, in the present world of digital distribution - communications companies really should be upgrading to all fiber networks. I say this because the recent Street Fighter V Arcade Edition upgrade to my base game weighed in at a hefty 14 Gigabytes. :blink:

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
my god, those ping rates are very bad.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Cabanon
Jan 18 2018, 08:44 AM
my god, those ping rates are very bad.
Spectrum inherited a network with a lot of latency from Time Warner Cable. It should be job #1 to improve that if they want to be taken seriously by online gamers.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply