Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wave Race - January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 11:03 AM (544 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Grizzmeister: which music do you prefer - the original or the shindou?
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
The three games I got with my system were Mario 64, Wheel of Fortune and this. Of the three this is the only one of which I still have my original copy. (I lost Wheel of Fortune at college and I can't remember what happened to Mario 64)

As an elementary schooler I couldn't appreciate what Wave Race brought to the table in terms of water physics, but looking back I definitely see what an accomplishment it is. I'm not even sure future generations have done it better. They may be more realistic, but Wave Race 64's water had a crystal clear look to it that I just love.

Comparing Wave Race 64 to Blue Storm, for me, is like comparing the real-life water in the Bahamas to the water in the Chesapeake Bay.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Was gonna mention the virtual console version also. Agreed that it plays great with the GameCube controller. Also technically itís its own version of the game since Nintendo lost the Kawasaki license and replaced the banners with Wii and Nintendo DS Lite posters. And itís only available for a limited time as the Wii Shop Channel is shutting down (The Wii U version retains the Kawasaki brand).

Played the US cartridge version last night. Two things stood out to me:

I love the music in this game; that was Totakaís doing correct? I also noticed some parts of this injected into the Wii series, namely Wii Sports Resort.

The water shines on all of the levels, but special props go out to Drake Lake. By the last lap, thereís a near perfect reflection in the water that just looks gorgeous :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Just watched Glenn Plantís review of Hydro Thunder to get a good comparison of the water between the two; itís not as muddy as I remember - Midway attempted to get some reflection in the water where they could, for example - it just does not compare to Wave Race. The main thing is that though Hydro Thunderís boats bump around in the water weíll enough, there donít seem to be any visible waves.

EDIT: Also watched some footage of Blue Storm. I admit that my initial thoughts on it were a bit unfair, as the water really isnít ďmuddyĒ in that game, but something still felt off to me. It could definitely be the nostalgia goggles preferring 64 though. The water seemed almost gel-like in the GameCube game though, and I didnít particularly care for the ďXTREMEĒ presentation compared to the original. Also a very minor nitpick but I also prefer the buoys in 64 :p
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 15 2018, 12:32 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Does the Shindou version still have the Fanta advertisements? It might be one that I wouldn't mind having both the US and JP versions of.

I feel the same way about Smash Bros. but surprisingly I can do without the JP version of Mario Kart 64.

« Previous Topic · N64 Game of the Month! · Next Topic »
Add Reply