Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sin & Punishment; February Game of the Month
Topic Started: Feb 2 2018, 12:00 PM (151 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Sin & Punishment is our winner for February Game of the Month. I was happy to see a game that was previously ineligible under the old system win in the first month under the new format :yeah:

I must admit I know very little of this game, so I am eager to learn about it. Thanks to all participated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I will type my thoughts later, but I've been using this as my tablet wallpaper for a couple months

Spoiler: click to toggle

For a long time I had Bomberman Second Attack art, which is odd because I barely like that game, but I started checking my tablet a lot in the middle of the night and burning my eyes. So I went to find something darker and I chose this, Yasushi Suzuki is a seriously cool artist. I couldn't any widescreen version that didn't have the ique logo in the 10 seconds I searched, but oh well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 2 2018, 01:38 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Shut your door. Lower your blinds. Darken the lights. Have a liquid refreshment ready (gatorade may be preferable to beer in this instance!). Use this:
Posted Image
And play this masterpiece!!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Well worthy of being a winner. Great game! :n64:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Opening thoughts. There was a point sometime a few months ago where I beat Sin & Punishment 5 times in one day. I beat it on Normal and Hard mode in the original, then Normal and Hard on the English translated version, and at some point I beat it on easy once to see what it was like.

Despite my apparent dedication to the game, I don't really like it that much. I obviously know and have felt firsthand why it's so good, and I've got nothing against it, it's just not my thing. But like other Treasure games it's very tightly designed, has the unique ďtwin stickĒ movement scheme, and is generally badass by N64 standards especially.

I've debated in my mind which of Treasureís 3 N64 games is the best. Out of all of them S&P actually has 3 difficulties so it's really accessible from average joes who can play on easy, or people who want a really stiff challenge on hard mode. Afterwards it even has frame skip (no lag) and turbo mode options. Turning them both on the game runs at double speed, which is insane and the only thing I haven't done in the game yet.
Unfortunately the person who uploaded many of the soundtrack videos to YouTube uploaded corrupted audio so they sound awful, but the actual game music fits super well with the action. I tried listening to the music by itself and it kinda doesn't grab me, but it's still very good.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 2 2018, 03:57 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I wrote this back in the light gun thread but I'll say it again here because I think it's interesting. In an Iwata asks interview for the Sin & Punishment Star Successor, producer Masato Maegawa said this about the N64 version

"Whatís more, a Controller Pak could be plugged into the Nintendo 64 controller, and there was talk of adding a sensor to it. But we had already begun development for the left position(Controller position) Adapting it to a sensor at that point would have only lengthened a development process that was already dragging on. We abandoned it, but after some time had passed, the Wii arrivedÖ"

Here's that interview
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Sin-and-Punishment-Successor-of-the-Skies/Iwata-Asks-Sin-and-Punishment-Successor-of-the-Skies/1-The-N64-Controller-Provides-Inspiration/1-The-N64-Controller-Provides-Inspiration-214087.html

It's a cool what if scenario. I don't think it would have been a required control method, most likely an optional one. I think it would have been pretty cool aiming like that in one playthrough, but I think it would have made the game much easier too so I'm happy how it well S&P works with normal controls. Though at times its hard to aim, move, jump, and dodge at the same time, you can get your brain wires crossed and look like you suck at the game to any onlookers
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 5 2018, 12:30 PM.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 5 2018, 12:29 PM
Though at times its hard to aim, move, jump, and dodge at the same time, you can get your brain wires crossed and look like you suck at the game to any onlookers
This is exactly what's happening to me in the training mode. :lol:

For some reason the controls in Sin & Punishment seem as challenging to me as those in Jet Force Gemini. So I'm trying to play this on the Wii and I'm wondering if controller type 3 is the best choice when using the Classic Controller Pro?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I took some time to watch a youtube review of Sin & Punishment. Good graphics for the time it came out, and it looks like it would be an enjoyable game. I was expecting a dark and brooding game, which does not appear the case at all. Do not know where I got that idea

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
stinger9142
Feb 24 2018, 08:50 AM
I was expecting a dark and brooding game, which does not appear the case at all. Do not know where I got that idea
Sin & Punishment is the most edgy n64 game title.
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I really donít feel like I can contribute much here but I just watched Glenn Plantís review and read the plot synopsis on a couple of wikis.

Iím not in a position where I can spend a lot of money to import this game (or Evangelion for that matter; maybe someday). Based on what I saw though, I already see one issue for me personally as far as the Virtual Console version is concerned. Shooting looks to be done with the Z button on the n64 controller which usually transfers to the L or R button on the GameCube controller. I much prefer having the z button be a trigger on the back rather than a ďbumperĒ on the top, and iíve felt this way ever since playing a James Bond GameCube game with friends back in middle school. I hope thatís a legit enough reason to not want to get the VC version - I donít want to come across as petty but Iíve just been disillusioned with digital copies as of late (not to mention the power brick for my Wii isnít in very great shape).

The plot reminds me a lot of Attack on Titan interestingly enough ;)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

« Previous Topic · N64 Game of the Month! · Next Topic »
Add Reply