Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Approaching N64 as a Sega Kid
Topic Started: Feb 2 2018, 08:11 PM (225 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
For some reason the computer I'm currently using won't let me quote another person's post, but this line from distractionwolf really stood out to me:

"I still frequently go back and dabble with SNES hoping to catch that bug like everyone else did, but I just can't. However N64 makes this sega priest a Nintendo faithful and I think its because it really does act as a secondary entry point, a soft reboot that does not alienate classic Nintendo fans but can serve as a jumping off point for anyone new that wants to get into Nintendo media without ever really feeling like you absolutely must move further backwards to "get it". "

I got the SNES Classic for Christmas, and it's good, but the main thing it was able to accomplish for me was just wanting to play the N64 more. Maybe it's because the 64 was my first, and maybe because it's my first it means I'm used to 4-player multiplayer as the norm rather than the exception. But I do think there's something to be said for a sort of "reboot" argument, and it almost connects with where the break between "Classic Nintendo" ends and "Modern Nintendo" begins.

It was in the Gamecube/Game Boy Advance era that I saw Nintendo starting to rely a lot more on retro references and their "classic" properties via remakes and rereleases. There were glimpses of it on the 64, like the Namco/Midway museums and the fact that technically the NES games reappeared on Animal Forest first. But that hard push really came just a bit later. Think about the "Classic NES Series" on Game Boy Advance, for example. This ultimately came to a head with the Virtual Console on the Wii, Wii U and 3DS. What this ultimately seemed to do, at least for me, was cement the 64 as the last of Nintendo's "original" consoles. And it has remained an "original" console to this day, unlike the Wii for example which feels like it's been/being replaced and rendered obsolete (a real shame, actually. I'm with Grizzmeister that the Wii is probably the ultimate console for retrogamers).
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply