Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
40 Winks might finally get released!
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 04:19 PM (771 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Article: http://n64today.com/2018/02/12/40-winks-kickstarter-campaign/

In a case of everything old being new again, the team behind 40 winks is releasing the game on steam but if thereís enough backers it could make its way to an N64 cartridge!

Further incentive for backers are a ď40 winks N64 controllerĒ (looks cool, hope itís made from legit parts) and a ď40 winks N64 console shell (really neat idea, kind of like an atomic purple console)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I think No64DD will tell you to edit the Topic Title to "40 Winks might finally get released AGAIN", lol.

Exciting news . . .sure plenty of folks here would buy and/or support.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
I actually just got a 40 Winks cart!

.....from retro circuits. So it's officaially unofficial lol I'll snap a pic when I get home from work.

This game is a lot of fun!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Feb 12 2018, 05:02 PM
I think No64DD will tell you to edit the Topic Title to "40 Winks might finally get released AGAIN", lol.

Exciting news . . .sure plenty of folks here would buy and/or support.
I know the ROM is out there for everdrive folks, but did it actually get an official release somewhere? This company was able to acquire the license for it so itís totally on the up and up. Now youíve got me curious :)

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Feb 12 2018, 04:19 PM
the team behind 40 winks
Uh, wouldn't that be Eurocom? This isn't the same team that made the game. It's not even the guy who originally bought and dumped the rom. It's Piko who seem to buy game rights from dead companies. Infogrames/Atari must have died for a 4th time again recently because i know the game was on ps3/ps4 and Vita not at long ago. I don't have any strong feelings on that, just a strange business idea.

And to answer your question no the N64 version was not officially released, just the PS1 version came out on the PlayStation Network in 2009.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 12 2018, 05:39 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Haha. Very true BDR. :lol:

I'm not the only one who also remembers seeing display boxes for this game in 2000.
But there are rumors of an online release, as well as accounts of magazine articles stating this.
There was even a single poster here a few years ago claiming he had one.

Nevertheless, it is something i have been looking into, and perhaps this announcement could even bring something else to the surface.

If this company now owns the rights to 40 Winks, there has to be more to that in physical form. Again, this game was ready to go in late 2000.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Feb 12 2018, 05:37 PM
Uh, wouldn't that be Eurocom? This isn't the same team that made the game. It's not even the guy who originally bought and dumped the rom. It's Piko who seem to buy game rights from dead companies. Infogrames/Atari must have died for a 4th time again recently because i know the game was on ps3/ps4 and Vita not at long ago. I don't have any strong feelings on that, just a strange business idea.

Yeah I messed up on that. Piko bought the rights from Infogrames who had them from Eurocom or something along those lines.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I backed it. I mean, why not? A brand new N64 cart of a game that I wouldn't have even known about if not for Dan and others talking about it from time to time. I'll take a chance.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here is a quick rundown for you IB, and anyone else who wants to know.

In early August of 1998 GT Interactive announced they had publishing rights to 40 Winks which was planned for late 1999. They payed for development and thus owned the 40 Winks property. According to IGN on December 16th, 1999, GT Interactive said they were debating whether or not to release the N64 version despite it being done and ready to ship, likely for manufacturing.

GTI profits were falling since 1995 and they began quickly draining money. The N64 version would have needed to sell decently to see any returns, a financial risk GTI weren't willing to take in their final days. Though it was leaked the day before, on November 16th, 1999, it was confirmed Infogrames was purchasing a controlling stake of GTI stocks for $135 million, after GTI laid off 35% of its employees in May and was seeking a merger or sale in June 1999. This deal was completed on December 17th, and by May 2000 the GT Interactive name was dissolved. Infogrames effectively owned 40 Winks but never released the game despite having the funds to do so. This could be contributed to Infogrames taking comparatively less risks with N64 releases as they also cancelled Jest, cancelled Taz Express for North America due to alleged low sales, and previously saw low sales for Starshot. Like i said before it was re-released on PlayStation 3, PSP, and PS Vita by Atari, which Infogrames rebranded to in 2009 proving they owned the game.

I know less about this, but it looks like Infogrames began seeking bankruptcy in January 2013, and the U.S branch (Atari U.S) began to break off and secure funds to continue going. To secure funds they put up many franchises for sale, which must have included 40 Winks.

So yeah
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I love this guy.

Don't even get me started on O.D.T.
Edited by No64DD, Feb 12 2018, 09:18 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
I'm having doubts on whether they acquired the source code or not. It be pretty scummy if they're just taking the prototype rom released in 2008 and flashing it on those new pcbs that are all the rage nowadays.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Rocky
Feb 12 2018, 09:49 PM
I'm having doubts on whether they acquired the source code or not. It be pretty scummy if they're just taking the prototype rom released in 2008 and flashing it on those new pcbs that are all the rage nowadays.
I bet that is the case. If Atari were selling computers with source code, especially ones over 15 years old, it probably would have made news or they would be bragging about it. There is one sure fire way to tell. The expansion pak graphics options don't actually work in that 99% complete build from my screenshot testing, unless I'm just dumb and doing it wrong.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 12 2018, 10:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Feb 12 2018, 10:01 PM
Rocky
Feb 12 2018, 09:49 PM
I bet that is the case. If Atari were selling computers with source code, especially ones over 15 years old, it probably would have made news or they would be bragging about it. There is one sure fire way to tell. The expansion pak graphics options don't actually work in that 99% complete build from my screenshot testing, unless I'm just dumb and doing it wrong.
Yea...on the other hand I just noticed they're releasing it digitally on Steam and have a stretch goal for the Dreamcast. They have to have the source code if that's the case I'd assume. If not, they're :cussfit: wizards lol.

Edit: they just posted this :phear:

Posted Image
Edited by Rocky, Feb 12 2018, 11:07 PM.
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Italia showed me this Kickstarter yesterday, it's good to know that they have legally acquired the rights for the game, which was my concern too, but this proposed box art is an abomination!

Posted Image
Edited by danilochka, Feb 13 2018, 11:11 AM.
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
40 Winks was one of my "holy grail" searches back in the day, back when I was actively collecting N64 games... (before this forum even existed!)
As such, I couldn't possibly NOT jump on this...

Posted Image
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I noticed the following sentence in their project description: "Considering this is the first new N64 game, we have come to Kickstarter to judge the demand for a new Nintendo 64 game cartridge and to fund the production run for this new platform we plan to support with new games."
Sounds like they own the rights to a number of other unreleased N64 games and are going to be releasing them on Kickstarter eventually! What a predicament for my wallet. >_<
Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I just earlier watched a youtube video on this. Got to have it. Looks great!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
The Kickstarter has reached the $100,000 stretch goal so a new bonus is going to come with the special edition level pledges of a plush of some sort. They'll be polling those who pledged for a special edition copy for which plush to get.

They've also announced the next two stretch goals and I'm really hoping they'll hit them both, especially the 200,000 level.

125,000 gets a 40 Winks Special Edition OST
200,000 gets a native port to the Sega Dreamcast

This one is getting more exciting to me every day.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So no console shell after all? Thatís kinda disappointing :(

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
That's interesting, IB. I never took notice of the stretch goals before now so I'm not sure why they abandoned that one in favor of the soundtrack. That being said, and this only goes for me, the soundtrack is much more useful, in my opinion. The controller has use, although I'll probably just display it, but the shell seems like a superfluous piece of plastic that would be a clunky collectible for me. The soundtrack might be pedestrian in comparison but it would get way more use in my household. Really, though, I just want that Dreamcast copy!
Edited by The Red Shadow, Feb 26 2018, 02:40 PM.

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
There's a major update with a photo..
Check it here.. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/40-winks-a-new-nintendo-64-game/posts/2216692

"We are 90% done with prototyping. We need to do some slight changes to the Plush, and we need to do a final test through both versions of the game (the NTSC and PAL).

We decided to remove Italian language from the PAL version and add French. We could not keep all of them at the same time.

In regards of the digital download, we have almost a master file, it will be based off the PS1 version. We are going to release it as soon as we have the art of the game ready.

On the controller, we picked that shape over the traditional N64 controller because Nintendo has recently renewed their trademark for the design of the N64 controller. We don't want to risk getting the controllers returned at the port; there are also rumors that they are looking to renew some N64 patents.

One cool thing about this controller is that we were able to upgrade the joystick, so it will be true optical joystick (higher quality)".
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I do like that controller. It's a Tomee, modelled after the Hori Commander controller, so i'm not sure how they upgraded the thumbstick.

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
good thing I didnt order the controller.

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
Who is planning to get this?
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply