Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fresh Meat; Noobie
Topic Started: Feb 18 2018, 03:19 PM (432 Views)
Deadmoneycash
Hello all, new member here, "fresh meat" haha. Currently on a quest but more about that in a sec.

Long time Nintendo fan since 1988. Didn't get my first NES till 1989, 7 yrs old then. Traded it all away in 1992 for...you guesed it Super Nintendo! I dont know how it was possible but it was better than the NES! Years and years, hours and hours logged on that sucker. Completely unforgettable.

All that 2D gaming couldn't have prepared me for what was to come 4 yrs later....N64! MARIO 64! I honestly didn't get mine till summer of 1997 but my next door neighbor friend got his Christmas of 1996. I basically lived at his house till I got mine.

The Quest. The GOLDEN controller. My neighbor friend and I entered a contest in the spring of 1997. U.S. Mario Kart 64 Nintendo Power Cup from Nintendo Power issue #94. The Grand prize....a Golden 64 controller! For those who dont know, at that point in time Golden 64 controllers did not exist. These Golden controllers are the grand daddy of all Golden controllers on the N64. And they are elusive.

My neighbor friend had the N64 and Mario Kart 64. I had the Nintendo power issue #94 contest entry form. We tried for 2 days to achieve the time requirement of 1min 30 secs or better in Time Trials on Mario Raceway. After 2 days I beat the time requirement. My time 1min 29 sec with Yoshi. My friends mother took the Polaroid picture and sent it in. Several months later a package arrived and we were holding a Golden Mario Kart 64 controll as 1 of only 1,000 U.S grand prize winners! My greatest gaming achievement and the Holy Grail of all my gaming items. I felt as if I was the equivalent of Lucas with the Power Glove in 1990 movie The Wizard starring Fred Savage.

Eventually to my surprise and disbelief about 1 yr later Nintendo released Golden 64 controllers to the stores and everybody could have one then! My friend and I were shocked! Angry with Nintendo as they took away our bragging rites. They took away our grand prize achievement and let everybody else have a slice of the pie without the hard work. Or so we though.

We raced to a store and bought a store bought golden 64 controller to see for our selfs that Nintendo really did rip our hearts out. Tarnish our good name.Well turns out they didn't. To our surprise there was one teenie weenie little difference that most, nearly all over looked. What a sigh of relief! Thrilled that our original Golden 64 controller from the Mario Kart 64 contest was still unique and identifiable. Life went on but just a few short months later all our N64 stuff was stollen, including the Rare Mario Kart Golden controller. A very heart breaking moment.

For years I struggled with my grand prize golden trophy being stollen, my bragging rites gone. My status in my local gaming world wipped clean, or so I thought. I never forgot that in the back of my mind I knew these controllers had a difference. That maybe one day I could find one. Needle in the hay stack per say. Well 20 years later that day came last week (February 2018)! I found the elusive, the grand daddy of all N64 golden controller, the one and only, thee original, the Mario Kart Grand prize Golden Nintendo 64 controller! For the 2nd time in my life I opened a package containing the ultra rare controller! I tell all of you that you missed the biggest :pottymouth: eating grin in history when I opened this 2nd package and see with my own two eyes the difference I seen 21 years ago. What an amazing feeling!

Im here to share my good fortune. I offten wondered for years if my friend and I were the only people who did their due diligence back 21 years ago to make sure and know that the controllers they won from the grand prize were in fact different than store-bought. I looked on the internet a handful of times over the years and every website said the exact same thing that "There is no known way to tell the Mario Kart 64 Golden grand prize controller apart from the store-bought controller." Nearly all those articles were written by people that had never held a Grand Prize Mario Kart 64 Golden controller, let alone spent nearly 2 years with one. I thought no one else knew that is until I stumbled on to this group hear, the Nintendo 64 Forever group. Turns out 2 years ago people here put together one hell of a forum about where Nintendo 64 controllers come from, were made. In that forum for the first time in my life I seen people the actually knew the difference between the golden controllers. Quite exciting really!

Like I said I acquired recently the rare controller and just today took it completely apart taking many pictures. Probably the first person in history to do so, or dare to haha. And I will share them here in this group as a continuation of the "Got it MADE" thread. My way of giving back to the true Nintendo 64 community.

To note I've never added pictures to a form in life. So this will be a hurdle for myself to clear in order to share my pictures.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deadmoneycash
Thanks Blue. I'm forum and thread illiterate so disregard late responses or bizzar mishaps.

Deadmoneycash
Sure thing 007. That is once I get a little bit of custom to forums. I'm currently kind of behind the scenes right now with No64DD. He is a true wealth of knowledge and helping me out with this as things are coming to light quickly. I'll post as soon as I can.

Deadmoneycash
Ok bare with me here as I am attempting to post here a front view picture of my recently acquired Mario Kart 64 golden controller. I've never done forums before so just trying this out to make sure I can keep up with everyone else LOL, and not butcher a future thread. Thanks.Posted Image
Huh....well there it is. Is it supposed to be that big? I honestly have no clue.

Deadmoneycash
@Bluesogrulez. I believe I seen your name in the "Got it Made" thread. I'm currently working on the post. Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I can submit it. Hands keep getting tied with work and other priorities. I can say in the Got It Made thread that not everything was discovered about this controller then. 😉

Deadmoneycash
Here is the thread I started with the findings. For everyone's reading pleasure.

All that Glistens is not Golden

« Previous Topic · Welcome and Introductions · Next Topic »
Add Reply