Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
All that Glistens is not Golden
Topic Started: Feb 24 2018, 08:34 PM (1,866 Views)
ALKATRAZZ
No64DD
Feb 26 2018, 04:36 PM
Overload!!
Look under Wario. I went to school with Ryan Ross. He was in my sister's grade. Guess he didn't make the cut.
Small world, I'm from Pittsburgh PA! If Ryan Ross was in your sister's grade I am just gonna assume that you are a Pittsburgh native yourself.

Also these pictures are absolutely amazing. I noticed in the one pic of the Nintendo Power 100 controller that you can see in those small corners where the gray was evident that you can tell the tan is evident. Apparently when these things get painted it was a common place to miss those tucked in edges.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Amazing isn't it!?
And yes, i am a Pittsburgh area native. About 40 miles south in the suburbs.

Ryan Ross actually has a twin brother from what i recollect.
I guess he was a Sega kid. X_D
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deadmoneycash
@ Shangyou, Thanks for sharing the link. A welcome contribution. I read it last night. I now have read 32 pages of just Nintendo 64 controller info here at Nintendo 64 Forever. This is the definitive website on the internet for all there is to know about N64 controllers! What an amazing group and community I have found here at Nintendo 64 Forever.
So to recap so far, 2 things that still hold true from my original post starting the thread and still up to this very moment is that the MK64GC STILL is the only fully golden N64 controller in history to be stamped with the "MADE IN JAPAN" up on top of the controller and also the only one that is made from GREY PLASTIC.

I currently am in the process of attempting to win a bid on a common everyday store-bought China made tan plastic gold N64 controller from eBay. This China made tan plastic controller is the Nemesis of the MK64GC. It is it's very own replicant and it deserves a spot here on this thread, fully pictured, documented and opened up. We may need to bring in Rick Deckard as I have heard he is good at exposing Replicants.

Houghton0609
I wonder how much difference there would be between regular gold controllers across different regions.
I donít actually own a standard gold eur pad, otherwise I would document it for you. Might be worth grabbing 1 off eBay to check internals, especially as they can be had for relatively cheap these days.
Edited by Houghton0609, Feb 27 2018, 05:49 AM.

Deadmoneycash
Houghton0609
Feb 27 2018, 05:22 AM
I wonder how much difference there would be between regular gold controllers across different regions.
I donít actually own a standard gold eur pad, otherwise I would document it for you. Might be worth grabbing 1 off eBay to check internals, especially as they can be had for relatively cheap these days.
Not sure. The CHINA made we're basically distributed globally. Though on Eur N64 controllers isn't there something extra on the power plug wire? If I think I know what I'm talking about I believe the word starts with the letter "K". Kruger? I can't remember the name of that device that is on the power cord.

Houghton0609
Kludge

Deadmoneycash
Houghton0609
Feb 27 2018, 06:11 AM
Kludge
Thanks a million Houghton0609! That's the word I was looking for. Haha.

Cabanon
Elite
Deadmoneycash
Feb 26 2018, 04:13 PM
This is not a list of winners but of qualifying times. As it states the contest is still going on. One thing I have noticed from this list of 41 "Qualifying Times" is 3 of them are from Canada. 2 from Ontario and 1 from British Columbia. It seems over here in the states the contest must have actually been for North America and not just United States. Not surprising, but interesting. In return eliminating the possibility of a different unique grand prize for Canada and thinning the North American release of MK64GC's between the two continents.
The contest was worldwide if your country allowed you to participate in it if I recall correctly. i'm sure the full contest rules are still available somewhere.

Canada was open to this contest, yes but not the province of Quebec where I am. The laws are pretty ******** stupid here regarding contests and they think we're ****** idiots who cannot read english. basically, it requires to the person who makes a contest to return 1% of the profit to the government but also the rules and the contest itself requires to be in both French and English, which nobody give a :cussfit: for such a small population (around 8 millions) and it's quite normal.

Deadmoneycash
To the best of my knowledge and as far as I can tell the China Made, Tan plastic, common store bought Gold N64 controllers were distributed to the U.S. and Japan. And I'm assuming China as well but not confirmed. The only 2 types of Gold N64 controllers I have ever seen are "Made in China" & "Made in Japan". China made being the dominant of the too and of course the common store-bought version. Japan made being extremely limited run and exclusive to the Mario Kart 64 Nintendo Power Cup contest grand prize. I absolutely would love to see others if there is such a thing? If anyone has any other variances please post on this thread. Though I do wonder about the Pal types. Can anyone confirm that all Pal N64 controllers have a "Kludge"? It would be very interesting to see a gold N64 controller with a Kludge on it to say the least.

Deadmoneycash
Cabanon
Feb 27 2018, 06:43 AM
The contest was worldwide if your country allowed you to participate in it if I recall correctly. i'm sure the full contest rules are still available somewhere.
Yes I remember the contest was global. What I was mainly referring to with the Canada/U.S. remark was the fact that in a couple other countries recipients of the Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest Grand Prize received a prize that was NOT a Gold N64 controller. So what I was meaning to say is that it's basically confirmed at this point that the U.S., Canada (North America) (parts of Canada) & Japan all received a gold N64 Mario Kart controller as the grand prize. It seems in Australia they received gold medals as they are a sporting country. I have even heard that yet another country received a go-kart instead of a gold N64 Mario Kart controller. I will post a screenshot of a a thread here at Nintendo 64 Forever posted in 2011 by ddr2nite. I will also add the link. Another point I was verbally trying to illustrate is that there are 1,000 of these gold Mario Kart 64 controllers distributed between U.S. & Canada (North America) adding to the scarcity of these controllers. So we basically know now that there was not 1,000 of them for the U.S. and 1,000 for Canada. It seems 1,000 toral for both countries. Basically 1,000 MK64GC for an entire continent! 1,000 for Japan as well. No gold Mario Kart 64 controllers for Australia. Starting to put a number on how many of these controllers may have been released.
Posted Image

Gold N64 Controller; The 1st 1000-Mario Kart Contest

@Cabanon, that is an absolute shame what Quebec has decided to do about such things and events. I am happy for you that you have a MK64GC as you rightfully should.
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Feb 27 2018, 09:25 AM.

jonathancutt
So production gold controllers are like the Ocarina of Time Game Paks - tan plastic sprayed gold. I wonder if they ever tested a controller using the slightly-darker fully gold plastic used for the Majora's Mask cartridge... Probably prone to breaking more perhaps, given that the MM Game Paks are more easily chipped.

Houghton0609
I think that might be possible, maybe even a grey cart painted gold?

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow. I did a quick search of Majora's Mask carts online and i didn't expect to see so many that cracked and broke into pieces like glass! That's strange.

@Houghton,
Different colored shells underneath Gold Zelda carts is a possibility. :eh:

For right now, i'm going to explain an interesting fact that i only recently wrapped my head around.
Yes, the PAL version of Majora's Mask is a darker hue of gold than the NTSC version. It actually does look like the same gold plastic mold as ours, but darker.
Posted Image

Now, here is the differences between the Australian and NTSC versions of Ocarina of Time.

Posted Image

I had an acquaintance of mine from Australia take these pictures for me.
Yes, the AUS Ocarina of Time cart is brighter.

It's actually the same color as Gold N64 controllers!
Posted Image

This may not be news to some, but it's something that isn't compared too often.
That is a Gold controller from Australia, and it is Tan underneath judging by the wear.

Edited by No64DD, Feb 27 2018, 06:49 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deadmoneycash
No64DD
Feb 27 2018, 01:39 PM
This may not be news to some, but it's something that isn't compared too often.
That is a Gold controller from Australia, and it is Tan underneath judging by the wear.

Nice discovery No64DD. So we are seeing that the Australian Ocarina of Time cart is the exact same gold color as the gold N64 controllers. They seem to match each other perfectly in color. Where's the NTSC Gold Ocarina of Time cart is a different color of gold. NOT matching the gold on the N64 controllers. And yes that gold N64 controller you shared with us from Australia appears to be made of the TAN plastic. I'm going to assume it is made in China as well. Maybe we can get a confirmation of that?

So this does make me wonder if the Australian OoT cart is made from TAN or GREY plastic and painted gold color? Meaning the gold paint could be scratched exposing a colored plastic underneath.

Now please correct me if I am wrong but the NTSC OoT cart is a gold color but it actually is the color of the plastic we are seeing and not a paint correct? Meaning it is unscratchable as in there is no paint to remove from its surface?

Given that the U.S.release of Ocarina of Time was November 21st 1998 I would suspect that if the Australian cart is painted that it probably is made of TAN plastic. I would assume it would be visible from the bottom of the cart where it enters the top of the N64 console as that would be possibly the worn-down area exposing damaged paint job. This is somewhat of a attempt of mine in trying to timeline the beginning uses of the TAN plastic that Nintendo used for certain gold N64 controllers and possibly some carts as well. Nonetheless a interesting discovery which could go further and a welcome contribution. I feel it is vital and relevant information as we are attempting a bit here to timeline the TAN plastic usage.
FYI: I made a purchase this morning of a common everyday store-bought Gold, China Made, TAN plastic N64 from eBay. Arrival date March 6th. I feel this controller deserves a spot on this thread just as much as the MK64GC. As in order for this thread to work and be effective as well as definitive this controller needs to be on it. Once I receive the controller it will be photographed inside and out and posted here. I thank everyone for their cooperation and continued effort in putting this myth to bed that the MK64GC is nothing more than a common everyday store-bought gold N64 controller! And our continued effort to resurrect this relic of the past, rescuing it from its very own near mythological extinction.
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 9 2018, 07:20 AM.

Cabanon
Elite
the MM gold cart i had was spliited in two as well. if was really cheaply made.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Deadmoneycash
Feb 28 2018, 08:06 AM
I'm going to assume it is made in China as well. Maybe we can get a confirmation of that?

So this does make me wonder if the Australian OoT cart is made from TAN or GREY plastic and painted gold color? Meaning the gold paint could be scratched exposing a colored plastic underneath.

Now please correct me if I am wrong but the NTSC OoT cart is a gold color but it actually is the color of the plastic we are seeing and not a paint correct? Meaning it is unscratchable as in there is no paint to remove from its surface?

Yes. Made In China.
Australian Gold controller
Posted Image

The Ocarina of Time carts are painted gold. Scratches or not, taking apart a game is pretty simple with a Hex Bit.
Edited by No64DD, Feb 28 2018, 04:21 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NzBoi
Member Avatar
I have both OOT and Majoras mask in NZ/Aus version.
the MM cart is the dark gold plastic (same as the US version of OOT)

As suspected the inside of the OOT cart is Tan plastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you guys need any more images of these or other games let me know
Edited by NzBoi, Feb 28 2018, 08:33 PM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
NzBoi
Feb 28 2018, 08:31 PM
the MM cart is the dark gold plastic (same as the US version of OOT)

Hey thanks NzBoi. :yeah:
That was something else i did not know.
That would mean that the AUS Majora's Mask is painted?
Edited by No64DD, Mar 4 2018, 07:21 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NzBoi
Member Avatar
No Problem ..

It looks like the Majoras Mask cart is the same gold plastic as the US version of OOT.

As you can see on the previous post the box says "limited edition gold game pak"
So Im assuming there are grey carts (although all the ones i could find on Trademe (the NZ variant of Ebay) were grey).

I hope that answers your questions.

(these pictures are side by side comparisons of the carts)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Deadmoneycash
I apologize for my absence. Sometimes life gets busy.

Great work No64DD & NzBoi. That is some interesting information in regards to gold colored N64 carts. Interesting the different color Golds outside and what looks to be a different kind of tan color plastic on the inside of the carts compared to controllers.

Deadmoneycash
During my absence I took some time to do some reading in particular regarding Toys R Us. I wanted to know why therr basically is a CHINA MADE, TAN plastic gold N64 controller on nearly every continent and in nearly every country in the world? How could something that is supposedly exclusive to Toys R Us be in so many places? Also how many different ways did Toys R Us sell these CHINA MADE, TAN plastic Gold N64 controllers? For something that was exclusive to a accompany you sure as heck can go out and find one on any given day. Why? Well the information really wasn't that hard to dig up but was interesting for myself. Maybe others as well.

So Toys R Us at one time had about 1,860 stores globally. 698 of those Toys R Us stores where in the United States alone. Toys R Us is in 37 countries worldwide. Here is a short list of locations and store numbers.

U.S. 698
CANADA 83
AUSTRALIA-OCEANIA 45
JAPAN 161
CHINA 100
UK 105
GERMANY 66
SAUDI ARABIA 11

Yes it's true that even Saudi Arabia had 11 Toys R Us stores. There are other countries with just 1 or maybe 4 or 5. So what I'm attempting to do here is paint a picture of how the MK64GC slipped between the cracks and were lost in history to a sea of Toys R Us, CHINA MADE, TAN plastic Gold N64 controllers. This is a good indication why everyone thinks the MK64GC is no different than your regular run-of-the-mill standard store-bought Gold N64 controller. Mostly because no one has seen anything else but these regular store-bought China made, Gold N64 controllers. This also explains why you can find Gold N64 controllers on basically every continent on Earth.

Now to the best of my knowledge and please correct me if I am wrong but the Toys R Us, MADE IN CHINA, TAN plastic Gold N64 controllers exclusive to their stores were sold and what was known as "Bister Packs" basically a sold separately controller.

Toys R Us exclusive Blister Pack
Posted Image

They also were bundled with N64 consoles. Black and Gold consoles.
Posted Image
Posted Image
To NOTE: All 3 above pictures of Toys R Us exclusive Gold items are not my pictures. I stole them from the internet.

So there was at least 3 different ways to get Gold N64, MADE IN CHINA, TAN plasic controllers from Toys R Us back in the day. Further illustrating why there is actually quite an abundance of these controllers still around till this day.

Now a lot of these store numbers are current and will be changing drastically due to Toys R Us bankruptcy and liquidation. Now how do these store numbers hold up to 20 & 21 years ago? That I cannot answer. Could not find that information. I did find however that Toys R Us was of course in Japan during launch of Nintendo 64. I have read that it was not a big chain over there then yet at the time. But they for sure were in Japan selling Gold N64 controllers and Nintendo 64 items all together.

For fun here is a picture of a 1998 Japan Toys R Us-Big Toy Catalog of a Gold Nintendo 64 and controller.Posted Image

On a side note my current eBay purchase of a common store bought, MADE IN CHINA, TAN plastic, Gold N64 controller has arrived. I hope this weekend I will be able to take it apart and take pictures of it compared to the MK64GC.

Deadmoneycash
So here we finally are. The moment of the extremely
common, Store Bought, "MADE IN CHINA" TAN PLASTIC, Gold N64 controller. The controller that is said to have wiped the 1997 Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest grand prize Mario Kart 64 Gold controller off the face of the earth. Erasing the MK64GC from gaming history. Destroying hard earned gamer bragging rights. Turning an ultra uncommon, holy grail of the Nintendo 64 gaming world into the super common nothingness it has come to be thought of as. Or....so the world has thought for nearly the past 21 years.

We here at Nintendo 64 Forever already know the truth. The MK64GC and the store bought common gold N64 controller are NOT one in the same. This thread is the continuation of putting out the 21 year dumpster fire of misinformation, disbelief, myths and lore. A personal quest for myself.

We have already looked at multiple other N64 controllers. Most gold but some not. But each one relevant to the cause and purpose of this thread. Some N64 controllers we have documented from the inside and out. We have seen the piece of resistance, the Grand Prize itself, the 1997 Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup grand prize GOLD controller. Documented from the inside out for the first time ever in history and it was done-so here at Nintendo 64 Forever. We seen a Nintendo Power 100th issue Gold N64 controller from the inside out as well. We also were able to bear witness to the insides and outs of the JAPAN made Black & Grey Mario Kart 64 Controller. Each controller exposing the storied history of the MK64GC. Some controllers having direct ties with each other. Some showcasing slight changes made throughout history overtime further separating the MK64GC from it's common counterpart. Others showcasing nuances overlooked by decades. How many different types of N64 controllers will it take to tell the story? How many of these controllers are linked and/or not-linked in ways that no one could have ever foreseen? This Rabbit Hole goes deep. There are twists and turns that I myself do not understand. And I hope one day all can be brought out in the light. Without further ado let us dive into all that is common. That which is the Destroyer of dreams and of holy grails. The Common every day, store bought, "MADE IN CHINA" TAN plastic GOLD N64 controller!

**crowd hissing, booing**
Announcer: "And in this corner, weighing in at 1 million global units, the one, the only, the destroyer of Dreams, the Toys R Us exclusive......cccoommMMMMOONNN GOOOLLLLD!!"
**crowd hissing & booing**

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

In the next picture below I have scored a red line on the PCB chip in the center. Specifically under the word "Taiwan". My JAPAN made MK64GC pcb chip from page 1 of this thread does not have any thing quite like that. As far as the Taiwan part is concerned. Just pointing this out.
Posted Image

In the next picture below I have drawn 2 Red circles on the back of the PCB. The one in the middle is highlighting basically nothing but compared to the same picture of the MK64GC from page 1 of this thread you will see a sticker per se with "705W" typed on it. Something that is not very common and not yet understood. As far as the lower left hand side red circle around the numbers "A-9739", well for this current picture it's not really anything. But again referring back to page one of this thread the same picture of the MK64GC has absolutely nothing in that location on the back of the PCB. Again just differences I am highlighting.Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Well folks there it is. The one and only (except for there probably are actually 1 million of them) common Gold N64 controller "MADE IN CHINA" and of TAN PLASTIC. Bought in stores. The destroyer of Dreams doesn't seem that intimidating once filleted open for the world to see. Rather "Common" looking if you ask me.

These common gold N64 controllers are almost entirely exclusive to Toys R Us. They were sold in at least 3 different ways from Toys R Us stores. As a individual controller in its own Packaging. Bundled with a common black N64 console. And bundled with a Gold N64 console. The Gold N64 console would come with 2 packed in Gold controllers where the common black N64 console bundle would only come with 1 common gold N64 controller. These controllers are said to have been released in the fall of 1997. Placing them in Gamers hands at the earliest of 4 months after the 1997 U.S. Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest had ended. And at the earliest 3 months after U.S. Grand Prize winners had received their MK64GC. As mentioned earlier in this thread Toys R Us is a very large global chain of stores. Thus making a great abundance of these common gold N64 controllers available. Saturating the market.

Sadly, even though Toys R Us nearly wiped its Non-Toys R Us, Gold counterpart N64 controller the MK64GC out of existence, the toy store giant may forever close all of its U.S. doors next week if a last-minute deal isn't made to save it.

So here we are, another gold N64 controller down. Documented inside and out with undisputable evidence. How far will the story go? How many more ways can we prove the difference between the MK64GC and COMMON gold N64 controllers? Well I'm here to say the story is not over yet. There is still yet more exciting information and facts to come to light. Stay tuned.
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 10 2018, 09:30 PM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow!

You've done some excellent research throughout this entire thread. I commend you for that.
For those reading this thread, i get that other Gold N64 controllers are and were available under different circumstances worldwide, but when deadmoneycash refers to them as "common", he's stating that here in America, they definitely were common. It goes back to Toys R Us, which now has confirmed a total shutdown. I'm very sad about this. :-/
It is quite a lot going on here, and anyone could feel the enthusiasm!
Thanks mate for reinforcing the point. Mario Kart 64 Gold controllers are different in so many ways! :dance:

Speaking of Toys R Us, here is a rare piece i was fortunate enough to acquire.

Posted Image

One of the only boxed examples known to exist. Mint condition. It is highly likely a TRU exclusive much like the JPN Gold console. I base this on the circular red badging stating GOLD MODEL that the console also adorns.
Spoiler: click to toggle

For the record, the Horipad is also TAN plastic underneath. :lol:
Edited by No64DD, Mar 14 2018, 03:06 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NzBoi
Member Avatar
wow.. thats amazing, im heading over to japan later in the year... cant wait, def taking an empty bag, hoping to pick up some weird and wonderful N64 stuff.

Deadmoneycash
I apologize if I have caused any confusion by using the term "Common" throughout the thread in regards to the regular store bought gold N64 controller. Perhaps a better choice of words may have been " Toys R Us exclusive" gold N64 controller? I am in North America so most of my references refer to North America findings. Though it is for certain that the Toys R Us exclusive "common" store bought gold N64 controllers are a global item. Where's the MK64GC are only known to have been released in North America and Japan. But by now 21 years later they foreseeably maybe on nearly every continent on earth. The MK64GC and the Toys R Us exclusive "common" store-bought gold N64 controllers look very much identical but are not 100% identical. But yes when I refer to "Common" gold N64 controller I am speaking specifically of the Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller which is the MK64GC look alike. I'll post a couple quick pictures below of the controller I referred to as "Common" gold N64 controller.

Here is a picture of how you would have purchased a individual "Common" store bought, Made in China, Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 Controller. Made of tan plastic, back in the day.
Posted Image

Here is a picture of my personal Toys R Us exclusive "Common" gold N64 controller with time stamp. This controller just like the one above in the packaging will be stamped with a "Made in China" stamp on top of the controller and will also be made of tan plastic.
Posted Image
No64DD
Mar 12 2018, 06:59 PM
Speaking of Toys R Us, here is a rare piece i was fortunate enough to acquire.

Posted Image

One of the only boxed examples known to exist. Mint condition. It was a TRU exclusive much like the JPN Gold console.
For the record, also TAN plastic underneath. :lol:
No64DD, this is quite an interesting looking controller. Thank you for sharing and contributing it to the thread. Interesting that it is another Toys R Us exclusive as well as made from tan plastic. It seems the trend continues with tan plastic. It seems almost just as the gold N64 controller was exclusive the Toys R Us so is the TAN plastic. At least at this point in time. Though nothing really has come forward to dispute it. None-the-less what a wonderful controller and how amazing that it is one of two known to still be boxed new. Outstanding!

Deadmoneycash
Before going any further I'd like to do some what of a recap of discoveries throughout this thread as well as piece together a timeline of gold N64 controllers as they appeared throughout history. At the bottom of the thread I will include a smaller more condensed timeline. One that's more easily and visually understood. Let us now step into the Nintendo 64 time machine and go back to 1997.

#1) Mario Kart 64 Gold N64 Controller. This is the first-ever gold N64 controller in history. It made its first North America appearance in the March, Nintendo Power Magazine issue#94 on pg#34.Posted Image

1st ever North America appearance of a gold N64 controller.Posted Image

These controllers were given away as a grand prize to 1,000 North America grand prize recipients. The contest was the Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup Contest. Entry form and contest rules were in the very same March, Nintendo Power Magazine. The deadline of the contest was May 15th 1997. Packages containing the MK64GC were postmarked June 17th 1997. Putting the granddaddy of all gold N64 controllers the MK64GC in the hands of grand prize recipients starting June 18th 1997. Important...Remember that date! What we know about these controllers that separates them from future released gold N64 controllers is the fact that these are the only Nintendo 64 Gold controllers to ever be stamped "MADE IN JAPAN" on top of the controller. What also has been discovered and is known about these controllers is they are the only Gold N64 controllers to be made from GREY PLASTIC! But also not just any Grey plastic! It appears that the grey plastic used in the MK64GC's does not match the same Grey plastic used on a common N64 gray controller. It in fact is a match to the Mario Kart 64 Black and Grey bundled controller that is also stamped up on top the controller "MADE IN JAPAN". What an astounding discovery and amazing coincidence. The Mario Kart 64 Black & Grey bundled controller was featured earlier in this thread and the difference was also shown between it, matched up against a regular Grey N64 controller. It seems the Mario Kart 64 controllers in general, whether it be the Black and Grey MK64 bundle controller or the MK64GC both used the same unique GREY plastic that in my opinion is lighter in color. Almost a bit like a ghostly pearl washed grey.

SIDE NOTE: Japan also received 1,000 MK64GC's. In a almost completely identical contest. Through the grapevine I have been told that the Japan contest was held from January to March 1997. Putting the grand prize MK64GC's in the hands of Japan recipients in either March or April of 1997. Two months before the North America grand prize recipients. I currently have no proof of this and would be delighted if anyone could come forward with any validating information of the Japan MK64GC contest as well as dates. Moving on.

#2) Star Fox 64 Competition Controller E3 Atlanta Georgia 1997.Posted Image
These Gold N64 controllers were given away as prizes at the 1997 Atlanta Georgia, E3 convention to contest winners playing Star Fox 64. There were groups of 4 players at one time doing pre-selected contest tasks within the game Star Fox 64 and whomever was the winner of the round/rounds received the Star Fox 64 competition controller. These are the second ever known gold N64 controllers to ever be released. I believe there is only 14 known in existence, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Undoubtedly making this an immensely rare and elusive controller. If there ever was a N64 controller to have more controversy surrounding it than the MK64GC it is this controller, by a landslide! There are countless countless pages written about this controller. It has been surrounded by much controversy in the past. While I will not speak much of this controller due to the fact that I have never even seen one personally and I am nowhere near a leading Authority on such a controller, I will state a few interesting and simple facts. The first fact as we already know now is this is the second ever released gold N64 controller. Though this controller is not a fully gold N64 controller. It is in fact Gold on the Top half/side and Black on the Bottom half/side. But what I find intriguing is the event dates of the Atlanta Georgia, E3 convention. It was held from June 19th through June 21st 1997. So NOW let us refer back to the dates of the MK64GC, the part where I told you "Important... remember that date!". Do you now see how close in history these two controllers came out from one another?! The MK64GC was postmarked June 17th 1997. Putting it in the hands of few North American grand prize recipients by just 1 day before gamers were receiving Star Fox 64 competition controllers at the Atlanta Georgia, E3 convention opening day June 19th 1997!!! Isn't that astounding! That the first 2 ever North American Gold N64 controllers were both released within 1 day of each other! How is it and why is it they were released so close together? A mere coincidence? I think not. I think there's more to the story between these two controllers. In my mind Nintendo held onto the MK64GC's and specifically mailed them June 17th 1997 for the reason of releasing them right next to the June 19th 1997 E3 convention which subsequently also had a never-before-seen, never released Gold N64 controller They both are also competition controllers as well. At this point in history NO OTHER Gold N64 controllers existed in any stores in North America or in any other competition and probably for the entire world to be truthful, (besides the Japan Mario Kart 64 contest). In fact no other Gold N64 controller would show up in history until Fall of the same year 1997. And that very next controller is the subject of matter in the next controller in our timeline of N64 Gold Controller History.

#3) Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 Controller.
Posted Image
These controllers here that I referred to as "Common" gold N64 controllers throughout this thread were available by purchase in the Fall of 1997 at Toys R Us stores. They are in fact the first-ever for purchase gold N64 controller. They are the first gold N64 controller ever sold to public. As the previous two gold N64 controllers where competition controllers only, with very low quantities. These Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controllers are nowhere near low in quantity. Odd as it may be that these controllers were sold exclusively at just one store, Toys R Us. These controllers are virtually everywhere on earth. As we have already seen earlier in this thread that Toys R Us was/is a very large toy store chain that at one time had global ties in 37 countries. 1,600 stores covering nearly every continent on earth. These controllers were mass-produced. These Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controllers are also thee controller itself to cause all the problems with the MK64GC grand prize recipients. It was thought 21 years ago that the Toys R Us Exclusive "common" gold N64 controller was 100% identical to the MK64GC. If you have been reading this thread you know that this is not true. The Toys R Us exclusive gold controllers are stamped on top the controller "MADE IN CHINA" and are in fact made of TAN PLASTIC! Very different features than the MK64GC's that are stamped "MADE IN JAPAN" and made from a unique GREY PLASTIC. These Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controllers are also the first ever known gold N64 controller to be made of TAN PLASTIC. Every gold N64 controller to follow after these Toys R Us exclusive, frist time sold to the public gold N64 controllers were also and continued to be made from TAN PLASTIC and also stamped "MADE IN CHINA" I find this to be a very intriguing bit of information, further validating the authenticity of the MK64GC's.

#4) Nintendo Power 100th Issue Celebration NP100 Gold N64 Controller. Posted Image
Posted Image
These controllers were available through the Nintendo Super Supplies Catalog that came bundled with the September 1997 Nintendo Power 100th issue. Through the Grapevine I have been told that those who ordered these controllers did not receive them till early 1998. This particular controller is the second ever released to the public, for sale gold N64 controller. And it shares a few interesting characteristics just like it's other for sale to the public, gold N64 controller predecessor. This very controller is also stamped up on top "MADE IN CHINA" and also is made of the same TAN PLASTIC just like the #3) spot holder on our list in this timeline of Gold N64 Controller History, the Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 controller.

SIDE NOTE: As No64DD was so gracious and kind to share his very nice, boxed NEW different-looking Hori Gold N64 controller not too long ago in this thread, but he also stated and confirmed that it was a Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 controller that is also "MADE ON CHINA" and made from TAN PLASTIC. If there is for sure one trend we can all see is that all of the Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 controllers are "MADE IN CHINA" and from TAN PLASTIC. And to take it a step further it appears that the #3) controller in the lineup, the original Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 controller was the beginning of the made in China controllers that were all made of Tan plastic. As it appears every gold N64 controller that has followed it throughout history has had the exact same characteristics.

This concludes the recap with timeline. Below I will give a more condensed timeline that is more easily and visually understood.

Condensed Timeline:
#1). Mario Kart 64 Gold Controller 1997.
Japan recipients received theirs in April of 1997.
North America recipients receive theirs June 18th 1997.
Competition controller. Not sold to public.

#2). Star Fox 64 Gold N64 Controller, E3 Convention Atlanta Georgia 1997.
E3 convention dates June 19th- June 21st.
Competition controller. Not sold to public.

#3). Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 Controller 1997 First ever sold to the public Gold N64 controller. Sold in the Fall of 1997. Sold in Toys R Us stores worldwide.

#4). Nintendo Power 100th Issue Celebration NP100 Gold N64 Controller 1997. Sold to the public through the Nintendo Super Supplies Catalog that was bundled with the September, 1997 Nintendo Power 100th issue.

Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 15 2018, 05:17 AM.

Deadmoneycash
Okay, now that we have the recap out of the way with a pieced together timeline, it's time to move on again. How much more moving on could there be Deadmoney? Well that's for me to decide and you to read about, hahaha!

So in the past, crawling through the dark inter windings of the interweb I discovered a post by gentleman in 2013. A Nintendo Age thread, link here~True first n64 controller march 97 nin contest
He was in fact the owner of a MK64GC. He claims he won his through the contest back in 1997. He also had the original package the MK64GC came in as well as congratulations card. He was interested in the value of the controller as he wanted to sell it. He did not know about the "Made in Japan" or Grey Plastic features of the controller, as we all know these were features that were overlooked by many for many years. He also was getting the runaround by people that the controller is basically worthless as it is identical to the Toys R Us exclusive store bought Gold N64 controller and that the congratulations card can be easily faked.

So this gentleman stated that he was in contact with Nintendo in the year 2013, trying to figure out how to discern, authenticate, identify a MK64GC from all other gold N64 controllers besides the easily fakeable congratulations card. He wanted to find definitive proof that what he had was in fact a MK64GC for reasons of selling it. To increase the value. So while he was in contact with Nintendo some employees stated that there was a long-time Nintendo employee still present at whatever location he was contacting in the year 2013. And that they would ask this long time Nintendo employee. The answers that came back from the longtime Nintendo employee (whose name was never mentioned) where to take the MK64GC apart as there were numbers on the inside that could identify it. Some sort of coded manufacturing date? For whatever reason the information of what set of numbers or where they are located inside the controller was never mentioned. I feel the answer was to technical and may have taken too much time for the long-time intendo employee to divulge to the person asking the question. So that was not very helpful for the original poster then and us now. But the longtime Nintendo employee actually also had a second answer to the question. The long-time Nintendo employee stated that you can tell the difference between a MK64GC and a regular gold N64 controller, the Toys R Us exclusive. He simply said "There is a difference in the Gold SHEEN." Wut wat whut!! Now that is a straightforward simple answer, that is easily understood.

So is it true? Could it be true? That all this time people have been looking over these controllers for any and very minor nuance, difference, but actually had a in your face full controller difference staring back at them for the past 21 years? A difference in the sheen! Well let us take a look for ourselves and see what we can conclude. In the following pictures I will be abbreviating the Toys R Us Exclusive Gold N64 controller as TRU. And the Mario Kart 64 Gold controller will be abbreviated as MK64GC as it has been throughout the thread. Make sure you rub your eyes real good and get your glasses on as this won't be the easiest thing to see. Let us begin.

On the left TRU, on the right MK64GC.
Posted Image

On the left TRU, on right MK64GC
Posted Image

Posted Image

On the top MK64GC, on the bottom TRU
Posted Image

On the top MK64GC. on the bottom TRU
Posted Image

On the left TRU, on the right MK64GC
Posted Image

On the lefr TRU, on the right MK64GC.
Posted Image

Posted Image
In this picture I am attempting to highlight the different color Plastics underneath from the backside, worn down spots on the paint job. You can clearly see TAN plastic on the Left TRU and GREY on the Right MK64GC. The next picture is the same thing but a closer up photo.

On the lefr TRU, on the right MK64GC.
Posted Image

So....for fact there is actually a difference in overall color from a MK64GC and a Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller. A sort of in-your-face difference has been there for 21 years! Now the pictures aren't the best for trying to pick up these differences visually. I am fortunate enough to be able to hold both controllers in my hands turning them any which way I want between artificial lighting and natural. I for one can verify that the difference is there. For fact there is a color difference and especially in the "sheen". The best way I can describe the two difference is is that the MK64GC is more of a shimmering glistening white gold mixed with silver. It seems to catch more light. It actually looks more like authentic real gold. Where's the Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller, which is the "Common" everyday store-bought mass-produced gold N64 controller has more of a bronze hue upon appearance. When the two are near each other the Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller almost appears like a brown bronze and the MK64GC is definitely the brighter of the two controllers.

So why would there be a difference? Did they use different paints? Well that particular question would be hard to say and or tell. What I along with others feel is that it has to do with the color of the plastic beneath the gold paint. Remember that the MK64GC is made from a light-colored grey plastic. And the Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller is made from a tan plastic.

So here we are yet again. Another amazing feature difference exposed. A Nuance overlooked for 21 years. How many more discoveries could be left? How far down the rabbit hole could all this really go? Only time will tell and this group here will be the ones to do it. There very well maybe a startling revelation that could blow this whole thing back up into the stratosphere. I for one am personally running out of gas on this story LOL. I don't really have that much more to contribute. Maybe I'll just sit back and see if anything else comes to light. It has been an amazing journey since actually winning a MK64GC through the Mario Kart 64: Nintendo Power Cup contest back in 1997. Only to have the controller stolen about 1999. A 19-year personal vendetta to bring forth what I knew about this controller and how to find one again. If all my effort can at least help a few Gamers locate some of these controllers it'll all be worth it. I personally located one myself 19 years later! Things have come full circle for myself and some things were just meant to be. Remember you're seeing all it here first @ Nintendo 64 Forever.
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 15 2018, 05:02 AM.

Deadmoneycash
Red alert! REd AlErt....RED F%#&K@$G ALERT!!! Lieutenant Worf full Shields....Ensign Crusher...FULL STOP! Number 1.....ready the shuttle with the Away Team, phasers set to....Kill!

It appears an anomaly from outer space itself has come forth as a Challenger and is tearing holes through this very thread! A Gold N64 controller unlike anything we have ever seen! It breaks down all boundaries and known theories and facts! Are all MK64GC's again lost forever due to this new startling information!? Or is Q playing tricks again!?
**Start TNG Into**

Captain's Log Stardate: 3-16/2018DMC. The Enterprise-N64F has encountered an unknown vessel, unmanned on the outskirts of eBayania, near the Nintendo quadrant.

CAPTAIN* "Data scan vessel."

DATA* "Captain...(**Head Twitches**) there appears to be no life aboard the vessel. Captain... I have Scaned the outer haul of the vessel and it appears to be made of a grey poly plastic, with gold shields. Captain sensors show the vessel is MADE IN CHINA!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

CAPTAIN* "How can this be? All Gold N64 controller vessels with Grey poly plastic hauls are only made in Japan!" (**Sits Upright, Straightens Uniform**)

DATA* "Captain I have checked all known data banks and no such anomaly exist on record. It appears to be a new life-form captain."

CAPTAIN* "Picard to Riker, have you boarded the unknown vessel yet?" (**Straightens Uniform...Again**)

RIKER* "Riker here, there appears to be no way into the vessel captain. (**Steps Over Top Shuttle Seat, Sits In It Backwards**) The vessel is absolutely of unknown origin. Captain it is in fact a Gold shielding over a poly grey haul, made in CHINA!"

LIEUTENANT WORF* "Capatin! The Vessel is powering up! Permission to destroy!? (**Mean Muggin**)

CAPTAIN* "Lieutenant Worf, permission granted...FIRE AT WILL!!"

RIKER* "Riker to Picard! HOLD THAT FIRE!! (**Stands Up, One Foot On Chair, Elbow To Knee, Striking A Handsome Pose**) Captain.... that blast will not only destroy the unknown vessel but the away team as well! We have discovered an anomaly on the back Port side Thruster Rumble Pack injection point! It appears the vessel is using a faulty Klingon Gold Cloaking device!"
Posted Image

DATA* "Captain... it appears Lieutenant Riker is correct. The vessel is none other than a regular grey poly haul, made by the Chinese Dothraki, Star Fleet and does appear to be using a malfunctioning Klingon Gold cloaking device."

CAPTAIN* "Riker and away team, return to the Enterprise N64F. Ensign Crusher set a course for the Sega Saturn quadrant, warp speed 5. Lieutenant Worf yellow alert. Lieutenant Data you may man the helm. I'll be in my Chambers." (**Straightens Uniform Again Again**)

Bah ba da du dut, bah ba da du dut, bah ba da DDUUHHH

Well was that not an exciting episode of TNG N64F!? Okay maybe it wasn't. But to clarify a bit more as to what was happening on the Enterprise N64F, a strange and bothersome Gold N64 controller is currently on Ebay for sale. This N64 controller is Gold in color, stamped MADE IN CHINA and is made from GREY plastic! The controller I speak of is the above pictured controller in the TNG N64F story. It is a Frankencontroller at best. It is the ugliest :cussfit: Gold N64 controller I have ever seen. How and why does it go against everything this thread has built? How is it possible? Could we have been wrong about everything the whole time? Well the short answer is NO! The long answer is Q is up to his usual tricks again! As it turns out this particular Gold N64 controller is a FAKE!!! Well then why do I bring it to the thread? Well this threads main goal is to identify, authenticate, locate MK64GC's and put to rest the long long debate about MK64GC's. I want this thread to help people find and confidently purchase MK64GC's. This particular eBay controller may very well dupe someone into buying it thinking that it is a MK64GC. It has a particular feature we are looking for, gold paint over Grey plastic. But it is missing the MADE IN JAPAN stamp up on top as this particular eBay controller is made in China. Someone in a rush might actually purchase this controller thinking it is MK64GC. But also someone may purchase this N64 controller thinking that it is the Toys R Us exclusive gold N64 controller which it is also NOT! This is none other than a regular Grey N64 controller! This by all measures is NOT a authentic gold N64 controller!

{~Well Deadmoney how do you know this?~} The first clue to me was the gold color was way off. {~But isn't it reasonable to believe that greasy Palms could maybe play a role in that?~} Okay. I'll give you that. Also the wear on the gold paint is not common or usual. {~Well Deadmoney isn't it reasonable to believe that this controller has been beat to Hell and back?~} Okay, I guess I'll have to give you that one too. {~So Deadmoney you're out of tricks and this is a gold N64 controller that destroys your thread!~} WRONG! You see if you recall back to the TNG N64F story that Lieutenant Riker discovered an anomaly at the "Portside Thruster Rumble Pak injection point." And he was absolutely correct. If you look closely at the last picture of above said gold N64 controller you will see that the locking mechanism as well as the finger release mechanism for the rumble pack or memory card pack are painted GOLD! NO GOLD N64 controller from Nintendo ever came with these features painted in GOLD! If you look even further inside you will notice the metal that surrounds the fingers where a rumble pack or memory card pack would actually insert and make contact with the N64 controller is also painted GOLD! And there also appears to be gold paint on the power cord just outside of the controller. I will provide below a close-up of my MK64GC Portside Thruster Rumble Pak injection point so all can compare mine to the eBay anomaly.

My MK64GC.
Posted Image

I do apologize for the crummy picture of the eBay gold N64 controller but that is what the seller has posted. Hopefully everyone can now see the difference and now themselves can confirm that this is a fake gold N64 controller.

Here is the link to the FAKE GOLD N64 controller on eBay.
Fake Gold N64 Controller
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 20 2018, 05:14 AM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Yeah. That auction is pretty lame! It looks like an old prop from the Shatner era. :lol:

It also goes to show that NO Grey Made in China N64 controller was painted Gold.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deadmoneycash
I see what you did there No64DD! :yeah: yeah it looks like someone Shatnered on it too!

I actually wrote the seller and explained kindly that what they have is not authentic and pointed out the flaws, probably 5 days ago now and still no reply. The controller remains for sale still!
Edited by Deadmoneycash, Mar 20 2018, 01:09 PM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: