Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Topic Started: Mar 8 2018, 06:16 PM (346 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
What we know so far:
It’s coming in 2018
We’re getting Inklings and Breath of the Wild Link

EDIT: E3 is going on and we're getting a TON of information!

Every character playable so far is back, even Snake and Pichu!
Three new characters confirmed so far - Inkling, Daisy and Ridley
And every other character got a little bit of time in the spotlight with a mini-trailer on smashbros.com
The official number of fighters so far is 65. If you count the echo fighters (Dark Pit/Lucina/Daisy) that brings it to 68. Add in the Koopalings, Alph, and genders for Villager, Robin, etc. and the total comes to over 80!

Based on what I'm seeing on Smashboards the number of stages we already know about totals over 80 as well. Each stage will have a Battlefield and a Final Destination form, AND you get the choice of turning hazards on or off!
Saffron City is finally back, baby! X_D

Lots of really cool updates to the combat mechanics and user interface. Let it be known that this is definitely NOT a port of Smash for Wii U. It's got more than enough to be its own game.
1-on-1 fights come with a scoreboard every time someone loses a life - we eSports now!
Useful mini-map every time a fighter is off the stage
Damage percentage has an extra decimal point at the end. Not sure if this is that big of a deal but it makes things a bit more intricate
Too many updates to the battle system to count, but the main things to point out is that dodges get worse the more you use them and the game plays faster than Smash 4 - a lot of people are saying it encourages more aggressive play to that end

There's so so SO much to discuss and I can't wait to hear what y'all are thinking :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jun 14 2018, 10:55 AM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Nintendo didn't even bury the Virtual Boy this hard
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
I hope its got a legacy mode where you can play the N64 version with updated graphics, all the physics exactly the same. That, would be gold. N64 smash has always been the best in my opinion
Posted Image
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Mar 8 2018, 07:01 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Mar 8 2018, 06:36 PM
You mean by rereleasing all the Wii U games on the switch? Technically we don’t know if this is a port of smash 4 but it wouldn’t surprise me. The fiery logo seems to suggest as such.

As for Pimpin, my suggestion is to wait for the n64 classic.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Mar 8 2018, 08:34 PM
Shellshocker18
Mar 8 2018, 06:36 PM
You mean by rereleasing all the Wii U games on the switch? Technically we don’t know if this is a port of smash 4 but it wouldn’t surprise me. The fiery logo seems to suggest as such.

As for Pimpin, my suggestion is to wait for the n64 classic.
Even if it is Smash 5, which I doubt it is, (even though Sakurai calls the 3DS version 4 and the Wii-U version 5, so this would technically be 6), this is still pretty fast to get a new installment. The gap between Melee and Brawl and Brawl and SSB4 was huge. Plus I saw Captain Toad which a another Wii-U port.

I bet Nintendo is releasing Smash 4 Ultimate edition, then in a few years they might do a new Smash on Switch. It would be weird seeing 2 on the same console, but they would both sell 8 bazillion copies.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 8 2018, 08:45 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
"As for Pimpin, my suggestion is to wait for the n64 classic."

Why would I want a classic when I have the real thing? Lol
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
So yeah, the Wii U is pretty much dead now.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I wonder if the Switch version of SSB4 will have all the crossover characters from the Wii U & 3DS versions? Some people were analysing the silhouettes of the characters in the trailer and it seems that only first-party characters were present there. :eh:
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Cant get excited for this, for some reason this game just doesnt do it for me.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Of course, the day I finally cave and trade in my Wii U is the day they announce Smash Bros. for the Switch.

I want to clarify as much as possible when I say the competitive community's not awful like people say it is. Again, I'm very thankful for the friends I've made there. But trying to get involved and not being able to ultimately just wore me out, and not having a Switch I still haven't found the killer app that makes me want to convert.

That being said, I'm happy for all the people that are looking forward to this now. Wanted to be the first to make the topic at least ;)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Mar 9 2018, 06:50 AM
I want to clarify as much as possible when I say the competitive community's not awful like people say it is.
I'm of the belief that the competitive community kinda sucked all the fun out of the Smash Bros. franchise. Seriously, online 1-on-1 For Glory matches on the Wii U version are often nothing short of tedious. <_<

The only fun I ever really had with SSBWiiU was either in online For Fun Team Smash or when friends came over and we played from my sofa. After Melee, 1-on-1 simply hasn't been the Smash series' strong suit which I guess is to be expected given the move towards more defensive gameplay in Brawl.

So Smash for the Switch is a new game or a port of the Wii U version? Wouldn't it be neat if it's a new installment crafted with the help of the PMDev Team? :huh:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
If the Switch has proved anything, it's that the Wii U had some really great games. Haha!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Quote:

Grizzmeister
Mar 9 2018, 08:44 AM
I'm of the belief that the competitive community kinda sucked all the fun out of the Smash Bros. franchise. Seriously, online 1-on-1 For Glory matches on the Wii U version are often nothing short of tedious. <_<

To be sure, there are elements of toxicity and fun killing within the competitive community. I think I found a post of yours on Smashboards where you dared to mention the VC version of Smash 64 as a viable alternative. It was like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

Much of my burnout was brought on by being on the losing end of every argument because I wanted to try something new. Customs were a neat idea but they were shot down (I blame the dev team for part of that though). Miis were restricted to 1111 when that ruins the whole point of the character. The stage selection list for tournaments is painfully bad to the point where I actually got tired of Smashville, one of my favorite stages.

But I don't regret everything about the time I spent at the tournaments. Certainly some thought processes needed to change, or else I'd be drinking the kool-aid yet again with this announcement and spending way more money than I should. But I met some genuinely awesome people and I think that's the biggest takeaway I got from the experience. It reinforced games as a primarily social thing to me, and I've since realized the error of my ways and traded back up to the N64 ;)

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
You know it would be lame after his trailer having no gameplay that at E3 it is just Smash 4. It's been four years, Smash 4.5 or Smash 5 are both possibilities. Either way I'm not really excited. I know the little kids who have never played Smash are in for a treat. I'm just older and they aren't as fun for me anymore.

Sakurai is one of the most powerful seniors at Nintendo. They trusted him with Kid Icarus and Uprising was probably my favorite Nintendo game this decade. I wish he would direct some other stuff. I think him not directing smash could easily good or bad. It could easily be a low effort cash grab series but even with some of his questionable decisions he does work himself on death with adding modes, finding odd character choices, and designing the character movesets using those little posable dolls.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 9 2018, 11:34 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
Inkling are blatantly playable. This means it can't be "just Smash 4". It's either an updated port or a new game.

Also, it certainly got me hyped to see it. I jawdropped and gasped upon seeing the logo. Really good job at hyping us up~
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm guessing Nintendo will use the launch of Super Smash Bros. on the Switch to kickoff their pay to play online service. :huh:

I still don't own a Switch and probably wouldn't buy one for an updated version of Sm4sh, but I am looking forward to seeing gameplay of this newest iteration.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018 in Los Angeles, CA on June 11-12

Will it be a port of the Wii U version with slight modifications or an entirely new games? I guess we'll be finding out soon enough.

Posted Image

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
The only gameplay we saw looks a lot like the Wii U version, so an updated port, or a half-new game(like how Splatoon 2 is clearly the old game with tons of updated content to the point it's almost new) seems the most likely cases. It doesn't seem like a purely new game, but to be fair, Smash games were also taking the old engine and using it to update into an all new game. Brawl's original engine was remade from Melee's.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Hydro_nix
Mar 23 2018, 08:56 PM
The only gameplay we saw looks a lot like the Wii U version, so an updated port, or a half-new game(like how Splatoon 2 is clearly the old game with tons of updated content to the point it's almost new) seems the most likely cases. It doesn't seem like a purely new game, but to be fair, Smash games were also taking the old engine and using it to update into an all new game. Brawl's original engine was remade from Melee's.
I'm thinking a Splatoon 2 situation myself. I expect it to play almost exactly like the Wii U version but with just enough tweaks to make it seem new. It already looks like there could be changes to Link relating to BotW so we'll see what comes of that.

Pocket-Dog
Member Avatar
As long as it has all the exclusive 3DS/Wii U content, plus the DLC, I don't care if it's a port or not. Day one purchase for me.
Dragon Ball Zeta — Dragon Ball Discussion and More!

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Well, we went from a drought of information to a deluge! I updated the top post accordingly but there’s a lot of specifics that are better in the discussion.

There are so many characters I’m looking forward to trying. Probably the one character I’m most excited about is Pokémon Trainer. He was one of my mains in Brawl and they seem to have fixed the character’s biggest problems. Also Zelda and Sheik are staying separate so he’s the only character that can switch mid battle now.

Speaking of Zelda though, I really like how Sakurai took the liberty of adding characters from multiple games in the series. We have Link from Breath of the Wild, Zelda from A Link Between Worlds and Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
SSMU is a brand new game, not a port. If I were a Smash fan, I'd be losing my mind for December 7th to come.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've come full circle and now Smash 64 is my favorite in the series again. :lol:

Really haven't played any of the games in the series for a while but that's mostly because I've gone back to playing more traditional fighting games online. In fact, the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection got me to thinking that Nintendo should do something similar with Smash. That is re-release Smash 64 and Melee on the Switch with each game having online play. HD remixes of the two games would be nice too.

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm just happy they have added a stage hazard on/off button for every stage. Not just the Final Destination and Battlefield forms of each stage now. That's going to make a lot of stages much more fun for me
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I get what you’re saying Grizz but honestly I feel like this is the next best thing. There’s so much homage to all the previous games in the series that I’m actually looking forward to it. Hyrule Castle, Yoshi’s Island and Saffron City are already confirmed, and it’s only a matter of time that we get Kongo Jungle too considering they went out of their way to change Melee’s name.

That being said, Kirby’s voice will always be best in the original. And I miss jigglypuff’s anime eyes.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The new Smash for the Switch looks fun enough but what I like best about Smash 64 is how powerful grabs are. Everything about SSB64 adds a sense of urgency but starting with Brawl things started becoming too defensive for my taste.

So who's gonna buy a Switch primarily to play SSB Ultimate on it? :huh:

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jun 14 2018, 07:58 PM
Ummm....well...maybe....(sheepish raising of hand)

In my defense I’ll prob be getting Mario kart too ;)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jun 14 2018, 08:00 PM
Grizzmeister
Jun 14 2018, 07:58 PM
Ummm....well...maybe....(sheepish raising of hand)

In my defense I’ll prob be getting Mario kart too ;)
Mario Kart still remains my favorite Nintendo franchise so if MK9 is really good it might motivate me to finally purchase a Switch.

Mobile gaming holds no appeal to me so that feature of the Switch is something I'd never use. I like to play video games when I'm totally relaxed at home on my big TV.

Smash Ultimate seems like it's giving fans of the franchise what they crave, however, I find myself loathing the direction eSport is pushing the fighting game genre in. People no longer want to play fighting games to enjoy themselves but rather simply to win. That gets tedious for those like me who don't take anything video game related all that serious.

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Nintendo Switch · Next Topic »
Add Reply