Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 wont show video ( But sound works?) Any Suggestions?
Topic Started: Apr 4 2018, 09:34 AM (188 Views)
jamoka3
Greetings all,
New to the forum. Long time gamer, collector and enthusiast .
I recently got a N64 from an attic, has been sitting for about 8 years.
I disassembled it as it was very dusty. Found that the N64 was built in 1999 judging by the ID tag under the game Pin connector.
I took it apart and cleaned all the connections with Iso Alcohol. Surprisingly the board and fittings looked good. I re-soldered the Power connection, and Multi AV port connections to make sure the unit has fresh solder to complete the electrical connections.
Now i got the unit to power on, and I have sound but NO picture? Any idea why ?
Also i have another N64 in good working order, that I have hooked up the the same power supply and cables and it works perfect so i know its not the power brick or cables.
Is there a certain section of the N64 board i can jump out / or re-solder to test for picture?

*Some added info. The N64 power brick and Multi AV cables are genuine Nintendo, I use these on my currently working N64.
Also I have them plugged in to Sharp 27" CRT tv.
Edited by jamoka3, Apr 4 2018, 09:35 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
To be clear, the system had no power when you pulled it out of the attic. Now you have power and no video correct?

Here's a pinout for the AV Port to board. https://moddedbybacteria.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/supporting-pic-2.jpg

I'd take some electrical contact cleaner, spray it into the AV Plug, and then plug and replug into the port a few times. It should dry pretty quickly then see what you have.

I'm just thinking there's still some dirt or dust keeping you from a good connection.

Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

jamoka3
I'll try this when I get home. Hopefully that is it. I'll also try to resolder the video post connection too too see if it has good connections.

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply