Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cassette Quest: Let's discuss NTSC-J
Topic Started: Apr 12 2018, 10:55 AM (216 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
There's an interesting discussion about a Japanese exclusive game going on in the May GotM nomination topic so I thought I'd try to redirect it here :)

I've made it pretty clear that I'd like to one day move to Japan and I hope to take my N64 and games with me if that works out. I'd also like to either purchase games over there or import them should I stay in the States. I saw a lot of smaller topics but not one big one for general Japanese game discussion.

Currently I have three import N64 things: NTSC-J copies of Smash Bros. and Mario Party 2, and a light blue Pikachu N64 that I didn't realize was modded to play only NTSC-U games. The Japanese cartridges wouldn't even fit lol

My current area of "expertise" (very sarcastic here) is comparing the American and Japanese versions; there's a lot of balance tweaks in Smash Bros. and Jigglypuff's name is Purin, which it pronounces Pudding. Between that and the other Pokemon voices in Japanese there isn't too much difference but enough where having both is worth it to me. Mario Kart 64's main differences are in the audio along with a few "ad" changes and I prefer the American version in both those respects.

I'm curious about Japanese exclusives but I don't want to spend too much money. I know I could get a lot of the information on the games via Glenn Plant but I'd like to know your experiences as well. The ones I was most interested in (for the right price) were Evangelion and Tamagotchi but I'm wondering what other games are worth considering. Also, how do you guys go about acquiring these games? I got my imports on Amazon but there isn't that big of a selection, especially when it comes to exclusives.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Sin & Punishment is the premier NTSC-J title for any English speaker, IMHO. Called a shooter on rails, which is mostly accurate, it is really about action, action and more action all of the time. What ever you pay, you will get 10-fold in return.

Bangai-O. A shmup (sort of). It's by my favorite developer, Treasure, but frankly, I'm not a huge fan. Spent $65 on a cart at the time they were selling for close to $100, but not worth it to me.

Choro-Q 2 (a/k/a Penny Racers 2). Racer. As you may know, I went from hating Penny Racers to absolutely loving it by beating it for Beats Em All. PR2 was a Japanese exclusive, is more polished visual, but lacks the depth and challenge (and the heavy Japanese text is tough for English speakers). There is a turbo accessory that makes winning way too easy. After grinding through PR1, I thought it was cool for a few races, then realized it was way too OP. Cheap as I recall.

Custom Robo 1 and 2. It's one on one robot fighting/shooting game in a ring/area. Seems clever but could not really get into it. Cheap though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Baptist, I'm currently busy and will get back to you soon, but if you are ever curious about any Japanese exclusives just ask me. I'm currently working my way through virtually all of them, and soon I'll be an "expert" on all them. I'll tell you right now though, most of the good ones are not English friendly at all. Some good ones that are English friendly to some extent are obviously Sin & Punishment, Bangui-O, Bomberman 64, the Golf games Eikou no Saint Andrews and Masters '98 Harukanaru Augusta, Last Legion UX, Puyo Puyo Sun 64 and Puyo Puyo~n Party, Tetris 64. I've also heard Neon Genesis is easy enough, plus I bet many of the Baseball games are also easy.

As for rest, you would have to use gamefaqs guides for some, even simple stuff like Custom Robo. But the majority requires use of google translate camera, iTools webpage translate, searching Japanese websites for help, watching niconico and YouTube videos, and lots of painstaking experimentation. It's unfortunate because there are a few good N64 exclusive Japanese games which have fallen by the wayside over the years specifically because they are too difficult to understand. Shiren the Wanderer 2 and both Nushi Tsuri N64 games being extreme standouts to me. Anything else I haven't mentioned I really haven't played yet, or I have and can tell you they aren't worth playing if your just looking for good times. You mention Tamagotchi, but their are several Japanese N64 board games, but it's hard to recommend them because they are so niche depite the ones I've beaten like Bakushou Jinsei Resort being decent for what they are.

Unfortunatly I can't tell you much on price because I'm not a collector. But if you ever have specific questions just ask me and I'll see what I can tell you. Again though I haven't played them all yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here are my Japanese N64 games.

Posted Image

Nothing really quirky aside from Chou-Kuukan Night Pro Yakyuu King and Last Legion UX.

I purchased all of the games used off eBay except for Last Legion UX which I bought new. Got it from a fellow Armored Core forum member who picked it up for me while he was visiting Japan. He only charged me MSRP and shipping from California which was a really good deal at the time.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I would add to those listed above, Bomberman 64 Arcade Edition which was a Japan exclusive. This is the best Bomberman game on the console IMHO. Also SD Legend of the Fist of the Flying Dragon, Japan only. If you liked the NTSC version of Flying Dragon then you will like this one. This is the second game. Although you won't have access to the RPG like elements of the game unless you know Japanese.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Retro Junkie
Apr 15 2018, 06:51 AM
I would add to those listed above, Bomberman 64 Arcade Edition which was a Japan exclusive. This is the best Bomberman game on the console IMHO. Also SD Legend of the Fist of the Flying Dragon, Japan only. If you liked the NTSC version of Flying Dragon then you will like this one. This is the second game. Although you won't have access to the RPG like elements of the game unless you know Japanese.

Yes when I said Bomberman 64, I meant Arcade edition. I don't know why people starting calling it arcade edition but that what it's sort of become known as even though that's not the title.

It's been about a year but I beat the game 100% including all the medals in the Bomberman Park mode. Very simple Bomberman but after 3 3D N64 versions it's funny they ended it with a more traditional style one, not even developed by Hudson, instead Racdym the Snowboard Kids developers made it. 4 Player Panic Bomber is probably the best bonus in the game. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the Super Bomberman Snes games or Saturn Bomberman, in fact the game has almost no special or unique modes to it at all, but for what it is it's good. It has some cool gimmicky multiplayer stages and some unlockable ones, but I'm willing to bet they are just mechanics pillaged from older Bomberman games.

The only Japanese cartridge I own is Robopon 64. Turned out I didn't even need it but for a while we were confused what security chip it used
Posted Image
I didn't bring it up before because it's not a very good game but I completed it as well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 15 2018, 07:20 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Another game that is easy to stumble your way through the menu is B-Daman Battle Phoenix N64. If ever there was a light gun game designed for the N64 it could have been this game. Too bad there was no light gun to play it. It is arcade in feel with mini games and it is a shooter. It will give you some wear on your controller. And it might be an acquired taste for some. Do check it out.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I don't think I've ever even seen the title screen for Battle Phoenix, I've never played it for sure, but I'll try it out at some point and try to beat it, Hudson developed (or at least published) well over 10 Japanese exclusives, and they were almost all different genres. Crazy how much output that company had, and they had other consoles they were supporting as well. Like I said recently in another thread, most of their games are dancing around the 4/10 - 6/10 range. They were a very satisfactory company at making decent to kinda below average but not that bad games. They hit it out of the park few times though with certain Bomberman games and of course Mario Party.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
to differentiate Bomberman 64 correctly from the others, it should be called Bomberman 64 (2001).

Digital
Member Avatar
Having all 198 Japanese N64 carts, for me this will be a interesting topic aswell. :yeah: :n64:

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister mentioned eBay so I gave it a shot. There's definitely a better selection along with japanese-exclusive console colors, but still not a ton. Thinking about picking up Tamagotchi for a reasonable price. Maybe Mario 64 Shindou also - I never finished my original copy but I can figure out which star does what with a guide most likely.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Digital
Member Avatar
I got most of my games from Japanese sellers from Ebay. Japanese sellers are great to work with, always got my games. For me the hardest one to find was Pachinko 365, I found it on the German Amazon site from a Japanese sellers aswell. Luckely it came with box+manual. I only saw 1 in my life, and it's on my shelf now :dance: Currently I am missing 4 boxes+manuals for a full set containing cart+manual+box.

In my introduction topic I have a list of my cart doubles I collected throughout the years, maybe somebody's interested?

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Digital
Apr 16 2018, 07:03 PM
I got most of my games from Japanese sellers from Ebay. Japanese sellers are great to work with, always got my games. For me the hardest one to find was Pachinko 365, I found it on the German Amazon site from a Japanese sellers aswell. Luckely it came with box+manual. I only saw 1 in my life, and it's on my shelf now :dance: Currently I am missing 4 boxes+manuals for a full set containing cart+manual+box.

In my introduction topic I have a list of my cart doubles I collected throughout the years, maybe somebody's interested?
Welcome Digital, I'm not a collector so I'm not asking about that. All Pachinko games are generally rare as they were (low development cost + small number of sales = small profit with quick turnaround). Interesting 365 Nichi was the hardest for you to find as it was developed by SETA. Seta were actually one of the N64's most prolific companies but most their games are Japanese exclusive. Many are in that low budget category (Shogi, Tetris, Golf, Mahjong, etc) but they generally had just a little more elbow grease than the competition in my eyes. Sure N64's only had 3 Pachinko games but 365 Nichi is arguably the best so I can't imagine it selling far below some other games, Seta was a generally popular company known for their decency.

So you own them all, which ones do you think you like the most? How many have you played to some extent? I use realized I haven't posted my favourites yet, I should soon
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Digital
Member Avatar
I've played through most of the titles which came out in the first year in Japan, the easy ones like Mario 64, Pilotwings, Goemon, Waverace, Mario Kart, Starfox etc. At the very start in 1996 we allready took out the plastic restriction so we could play USA games on our Japanese consoles.

I think favorites are all the classic ones.

@Shellshocker: It's quite the job playing through all the Japanese exclusives and in debt. Do you use actual hardware or an emulator? Are all Japanese N64 games available for emulation?
Edited by Digital, Apr 17 2018, 01:34 AM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I use my Everdrive 64 for a lot of games I play, it's closer to real hardware than emulation. I have never used an emulator. I know every normal N64 game is available to download online but some of them emulate poorly, for example some associates of mine recently had trouble with Nushi Tsuri 64
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply