Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Banjo-Kazooie; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 1 2018, 11:58 AM (181 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Banjo-Kazooie is our winner after handily winning our vote off. I don't know if any game to me quite represents the heyday of Rare on the N64 more so than the classic, Banjo-Kazooie. I picked up my copy the week of the launch. I don't believe I ever totally beat it, but it was one of my favorite titles. I loved how unique how each level felt. I loved that art style and music as well.

I foolishly traded the game away a few years later, and have never gotten another copy. I did however acquire a copy of Banjo Tooie. It just didn't seem to have the same magic to me though.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
An all time masterpiece.

So Replayable.

Many people who remember the game being tough as a kid are sort of surprised how well they can play through it now.
That's not a bad thing though, you can enjoy it again and again.

😎

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I guess I was one of the ones who remember it as being tough since I always got Game Over when I played at a friend’s house.

Yet as others have mentioned, what a glorious game over screen it was :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here is the main Banjo-Kazooie English site. It doesn't look like much at first, and it hasn't archived perfectly, but click on a few things and you can see it open up a little more.

Next up is Rareware's old site which has detailed pages for all their games. Rare's entire site and forum is full of readable discussion about Banjo and other things like how people saw the industry back then.

Finally there is the Japanese site. I'd like to point out specifically the Banjo Train which if you've never seen it was a somewhat common advertising method in Japan, and pretty cool I bet for a little kid.

Commercials, maybe less than you would think. This is the famous American one

This one is actually Australian according to end, but doesn't feature an Australian voiceover. Instead it sounds like the guys who does honest trailers, extremely deep and serious.

Japanese advert. Banjo Kazooie was actually more popular in Japan than I think most people realize

Banjo Kazooie was more often advertised in magazines, and contests like this Keebler Elves one, which has the most "rad 90s kid TV announcer voice I've ever heard. More weird 3D renders of Banjo and Kazooie being used here

This one for Fruit by the Foot

And one for Cartoon Network

Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 3 2018, 10:53 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Happy BK won :) Its a game I have played time after time since its original release but one I hadnt completed until a few years ago, back then I dont think I had gotten past Gobi valley. The music in this game is so good and I always find myself whistling it whilst playing.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Shellshocker: the promotional tie-ins are coming back to me. I remember being so jealous of my friends who had the Mario Kart wrappers for Fruit by the Foot with the “game tips” on them...not realizing that the product itself is kinda gross :p

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Aug 3 2018, 07:55 AM
@Shellshocker: the promotional tie-ins are coming back to me. I remember being so jealous of my friends who had the Mario Kart wrappers for Fruit by the Foot with the “game tips” on them...not realizing that the product itself is kinda gross :p
I haven't eaten fruit by the foot since i was a kid, but i put that whole blue raspberry roll in my mouth at once for maximum flavor. No need wasting time eating thin pieces of tape when you can roll them back into a more satisfiying flavor ball

Oh yeah and Banjo Kazooie. I mean its a 2/10 game at the very least.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Whats fruit by the foot :) a new way to eat it?
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I suppose you could call it fruit at one point, but it’s been processed to no end and then rolled up right into a long piece of paper with xtreme stuff printed on it. Because 90s ;)

https://youtu.be/F9VnElQVMPs

Cabanon
Elite
just some cool tasty candy :D
Edited by Cabanon, Aug 10 2018, 08:14 AM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Fruit by the Foot is my favoite candy. So glad it finally won candy of the month on this candy forum. ^_^
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well of course the Australian commercial was taken down as soon i posted it. Unfortunately the only other footage of it is from a handheld camera and is split into multiple videos.

Apparently this commercial is ripped from the Hercules VHS tape, i assume Disney's Hercules and only the Australian copy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the subject of Banjo Kazooie, i didn't play it until i was 17 back when i was first getting back into N64, before i joined this board. So I'm not nostalgic for it. Even after 3 years and only beating it twice, it still just impresses the hell out of me. In chronological order, 3D platformers released like this

Mario 64
Doraemon
Chameleon Twist
Mystical Ninja
Banjo-Kazooie

I mean, nothing against those other 3 games, but between Mario 64 and Banjo nothing reached that same level of great control and environments that were fun to explore and move through. Even the long list if N64 platformers that came after only has like 2-3 games that are even close for me.

Rare were riding high on Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing's high sales and award, so everyone was super hyped they were finally going to get another game on Mario's level. I do get a little tired of Mario 64 vs Banjo Kazooie debates because i think its applws to oranges, they are both 3D platformers(fruits) but they are so different in their structures and priorities that i think Banjo carved out its own style and deserved all the success it got.

Coming 2 years after Mario it looks a hell of alot better technically and deserves the achievment in graphic/arts reward it won (from the Academy if Arts and Sciences which gave Rare like 7 awards in 1997-1998 because of how high they were soaring) because for a brief moment it was the best looking game on N64, besides maybe Turok 2 with Expansion Pak which was a different style. Mario 64 has almost no characters or dialogue. Its levels are abstract and janky looking, often just having a edge where they end and fade into a void i suppose I'm supposed to use my imagination to fill. Banjo Kazooie has more thematic areas which are more decorated, which back i can imagine made platforming around more enjoyable than something like Chameleon Twist where every area looks bad. Using N64's instant music streaming to have midi channel fading (even though Mario 64 used it first) was pure genius by Grant Kirkhope and really makes everything so joyful.

I mean i don't need to explain why its good. But having now played and beaten nearly every N64 3D platformer, just affirms to me how well made Banjo-Kazooie is. The amount of moves, the shapes and sizes of the levels, and the amount of details make it so much more elegant than many other N64 platformers, which feel rough and archaic like the devs struggled and couldn't fully realize what they were imagining. The fact it's structure inspired stuff like Rocket Robot on Wheels, Jak & Daxter, and even Mario Odyssey proves some good can still be found in it today. Its less of a product of its time then a lot of other games. It's still pretty good
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you for sharing the videos :yeah: Makes me kind of excited to give Tooie a run through when my daughter and I finish OoT. If I had BK still, I would do it first.

« Previous Topic · N64 Game of the Month! · Next Topic »
Add Reply