Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home | News | Site Map
Frequently asked about links:

Active Topics Around the Forums

Current SEPTA's Bus & Light Rail Assignments by Depot (includes Norristown High Speed Line)
Push Pull Assignments
Vehicle Overhaul Status Page
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Inquirer Flashback
Topic Started: Jan 13 2015, 12:27 PM (514 Views)
philabob1
Member Avatar
Foamer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In the Saturday Inquirer the last page of the A Section has been a 50-years-ago front page for the last few months (actually an advertisement sponsored by F C Kerbeck, but...). This past Saturday's had the headline of PTC Strike Averted. I vaguely recall that occurring but I do recall what it brought about (and what is mentioned if you read the page) - for the first time, a fare for transfers would be effected, which would help PTC keep the base fare (25 cents) intact. The transfers would be 5 cents for the initial transfer with any retransfer (one could get two retransfers at the time) still free. The 2-cent 'penalty' for transferring to or from the C bus where it duplicated the subway would remain in place.

Before this, transfers were free and there was a somewhat complex exchange ticket program in place for transfers between trolley and bus, bus and bus, and within what is now known as Center City. The exchanges disappeared in the mid-50's as I've been told (do not recall them at all).

I recall the days of free transfers mainly because the subway stops had transfer machines just past the cashier booths and they would spit out time-stamped transfers when you pushed the panel on them. I also recall signs on the subway cars to advise riders to pay their fares at the cashier booth but get the transfers from the machines to speed things up. When the nickel cost was effected, these were converted to accept nickels and continued to dispense transfers.
Edited by philabob1, Jan 13 2015, 12:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BillC226
Member Avatar
Transit Fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bob, I always read that page too. Always something of interest there from 50 years ago, even if the size of the print is a bit small the way it is reproduced.

philabob1
Member Avatar
Foamer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It looks like this feature went by the wayside - haven't noticed it in the past couple of Saturday editions...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General History · Next Topic »
Add Reply