Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Romancereaders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
One Silent Night Sherrilyn Kenyon
Topic Started: Nov 7 2008, 08:37 PM (995 Views)
CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Has anyone bought or read this latest offering in the Dark Hunter series yet ? Its being absolutely slated on the Amazon site ....its due to be released here any day now and I'm wondering whether its worth buying at full price or waiting until its cheaper ! .... I'm a big fan of her writing but the last few especially the Dream Hunters in my opinion haven't been worth buying at the full price..... :unsure:

Doreen
Pamphlet
 [
I'm about 100+ pages in. She's starting the new arc with this book. I'll report back when I finish.
:)

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Doreen
Nov 10 2008, 12:33 AM
I'm about 100+ pages in. She's starting the new arc with this book. I'll report back when I finish.
:)
Look forward to hearing what you think ....keeping an eye on the discussion on the Amazon site ..mostly negative responses really , which is sad ... crycry

Doreen
Pamphlet
 [
Okay, I've finished. I liked the story, she is heading in a new direction with the arc and introduced some newGods/Demons, interesting new charaters and a couple of surprises about some old friends (Nick and Menyara). Ash, Tori, Savitar, Semi and some others make appearances. The new character Jared is very intriguing.

The book starts a few weeks before the ending of "Acheron" so it doesn't pick up exactly where "Acheron" left off. The end will leave you wondering how it will affect Dark-Hunters in future stories.

Okay, having said that. I do not consider it a "romance". For me, a romance has to have a hero & heroine I can fall in love with and root for and Stryker & Zyphyra just do not fit the bill. They are definately not nice. There are a few sex scenes RRSex but none of the anticipation and build up like I want in a romance novel.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy villians even if I don't "like" them, they are necessary and add to the story (example: I can't stand Artie but I hope SK keeps her in the books because she's entertaining).

Overall, I would give it 4 stars. Having read the entire series back to back twice recently, I can see where some of her books don't necessarily compare to the ones I love for the amazing romance/relationship (Night Pleasures, Night Embrace, Unleash the Night jump to mind right away) but they do advance the series. This book definately makes me anticipate where the series will go.

I intend to re-read it because of there are new concepts and twists to absorb.

Anyway, if anyone wants more detailed spoilers I'm happy to answer your questions. snny

*****Spoiler*****
I've read some of the reviews on Amazon and I don't agree with the opinions that Stryker & Zyphyra's daughter Medea was a b**** I found several instances where she seemed to have a tender side. Just my take.

*****Spoiler If You've Have Read The Book*****
I may be on DH overload but I don't recall any of the previous books saying tha Ash is Chthonian and it is clearly stated in this book that he is the 8th. Anyone remember this in a previous book?

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Great review Doreen TankU ....have decided to go ahead and buy the book, I can now get it for less than a fiver on Amazon uk whh .... which could be because its been slated .... I have read so many negative reviews on the other site ...but I'm thinking how much I love the majority of her other books in the set, so time to read it for myself and make my own mind.. RRCrazy .....have to say out of all of them I love the story of Vane and Bride ( dreadful name! )...and Archeron's book stayed with me long after I read it ....

EssieLou
Member Avatar
Administrator

A truly good story has a beginning, middle and an end.

Series don't have them, therefore, they fizzle out.

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Read this one over the Christmas break - Did I enjoy it ? ...not really ...I found I couldn't like the hero Stryker or the heroine Zephyra....Stryker had been forced to abandon her whilst she was pregnant with his daughter years before or his father would have killed her and the baby - he then went onto marry someone else and if I remember correctly have 10 children with her ! , but he still really loved Zephyra - What !....And I really had a problem connecting to a heroine who had a man chained to the wall and tortured him regularly !....I had to constantly reread bits trying to remember who the various secondary characters are and how they fit in to past books ...exhausting !...one for the diehard SK fans , me thinks !
Edited by CeeJay, Jan 3 2009, 12:49 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · SPOILERS! · Next Topic »