Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Romancereaders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Dragon Actually; by G. A. Aiken
Topic Started: Dec 10 2008, 09:51 PM (329 Views)
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
So this is the first and second book in some sort of Dragon Series. :blink:

Yeah that's right, the book is 336 pages BUT it's two stories in one. The first story is Dragon Actually and is 217 pages long. It's kind of like a short story with a small novella in the back 'Chains & Flames' that is a little over 100 pages long. So it's like two for the price of one! tass

I haven't read Chains & Flames yet.

It's not always easy being a female warrior with a nickname like Annwyl the Bloody. Men tend to either cower in fear-a lot-or else salute. It's true that Annwyl has a knack for decapitating legions of her ruthless brother's soldiers without pausing for breath. But just once it would be nice to be able to really talk to a man, the way she can talk to Fearghus the Destroyer.

Too bad that Fearghus is a dragon, of the large, scaly, and deadly type. With him, Annwyl feels safe-a far cry from the feelings aroused by the hard-bodied, arrogant knight Fearghus has arranged to help train her for battle. With her days spent fighting a man who fills her with fierce, heady desire, and her nights spent in the company of a magical creature who could smite a village just by exhaling, Annwyl is sure life couldn't get any stranger.

So I'm usually not one for shorter books, I always feel like there isn't enough time to tackle the inner and outer conflicts in a way where I don't feel cheated or annoyed. That said THIS book should be the way shorter books are written. I was really blown away by the character development, how the time element was dealt with, and really just the whole bloody thing. It was SO good. PomPom2

Enough gushing! fairydust On to the review:

The Characters:

Annwyl - THIS is how a strong woman should be written. RRthumb She's known as Annwyl the Bloody! How cool is that? She's a bit crazy, a lot blood thirsty, and has a temper that leads to heads literally rolling. guilli She was the bastard child of a King and from the age of like 10 lived with her father and her half-brother Lorcan, the brother tried his damndest to kill her and Annwyl decided to give as good as she was getting when he arranged a marriage for her. gtcha In chains she's rescued by rebels and instead of running off to safety she promptly picks up a sword and starts swinging, thus earning her nickname executioner which she hates BTW. rbhead I cannot tell you how much I LOVED this character! RRILOVEYOU She constantly did things that had people either running for the hills or asking her if she were crazy. gfy Obviously she has some trust issues when it comes to men, to be with Annwyl a man would need to earn her trust. And that is no small thing... elctrc

Fearghus - Also the holder of a cool title. RRbutt Fearghus the Destroyer is a black dragon and a recluse. Part of a loud, boisterous, and awesomely crazy family - he decided to live his life in his peaceful cave away from the craziness... RRsnooze Bored out of his mind he hears the battle being waged outside his cave and comes upon Annwyl as she is bleeding to death and yet still taking heads with the last of her strength. :D Intrigued by her lack of fear of him while in his dragon form ('cause dragons can shift into human form too! Duh! RRDuh Otherwise how would the sexxoring happen?!), he calls on his sister - a white dragon and healer - to help him save her life. Learning she is the sister of the evil King Lorcan, he decides to help her conquer the fear of her brother that she hides behind her temper. pekabo

Their relationship:
This was the really interesting part. Annwyl has no idea that dragons can shift into human form, 'cause those pesky dragons are so secretive. whisl So by day she trains with a knight who makes her think naughty thoughts Sex???? and by night she talks with her dragon who she starts to fall more and more in love with. cl9 Fearghus, afraid she would run if she knew the knight and the dragon were really one, keeps his secret and enjoys his time with Annwyl knowing the whole time that the two could never be together. shthpp If Annwyl succeeds in killing her crazy-ass brother, she would be Queen and could never be with a dragon without bringing the wrath of all the neighboring kingdoms down on her head. But these two crazy kids (using that term lightly here since Fearghus is like over 200 years old...) are SO sweet together! snny Annwyl slowly looses the very outside layers of her inner rage and Fearghus is dumfounded by the human woman who doesn't fear him like she should. It was seriously so sweet to read. Oh and hot too! Annwyl and Fearghus in human form set the pages on fire!! RRSex

The secondary characters were awesome to, we are slowly introduced to Fearghus's siblings and there are A LOT of them! RRthud But we are given enough time to absorb who they are before being introduced to the next so it didn't get confusing. bowdown

The Conflict:

So an evil dragon dude is playing puppet master and pulling Annwyl's evil brother's strings. Annwyl and Fearghus must join together to save both their worlds since the evil dragon plans to conquer the Queen of dragons after he deals with Annwyl. Fearghus forbidden by his father to interfere in the human's silly squabbles must make his choice and Annwyl must decide after the battle what she's going to do with her dragon and her kingdom. Two things that don't really go together.

What I liked:

The whole thing! I was really blown away by how GREAT this book was! gfy For one so short I wasn't expecting much but seriously OMG if the other books come close to this one's greatness we are in for one awesome ride!

Fearghus in dragon form! OMG usually the dragon form is rarely shown or is only the secondary form. But for Fearghus he has shunned his human form and lives mainly in his dragon form. It was seriously cool whh

The time line. Really very well done. Fearghus and Annwyl have weeks together to get to know one another and fall slowly in love. These two don't trust easily so the time line was crucial IMO. And at no point did I feel like I was missing out on a particular scene and I never felt sort changed. RRthumb

Fearghus's family. So quirky and fun! I can't wait to see them all meet their respective mates!

Annwyl's inner conflict was awesome! Annwyl has some crazy insane anger built up inside her and over the course of the book she becomes softer and yet still remains the strong female she was at the beginning. More than anything she loses her death wish that I don't even think she knew she had, now she has her dragon to live for and she will fight with everything she has to remain with him. :wub:

What I didn't like:

Okay now this may shock ya'll but I loved it all. Only thing I would change would be Fearghus's stupd fear that Annwyl will not accept him as both the knight and the dragon. RRLame His lack of trust in her was annoying and we of course have the point where Annwyl discovers he's been lying to her which leads her to nearly kill Fearhus's father and ends up running off to her army to take care of her brother once and for all... RRlaugh have I said how much I love Annwyl?! She was so cool! beercheer But their make up scene totally made up for the slight annoyance Fearghus caused and really his asking for forgiveness scene was one of the best in the book! Hissylaugh

This gets PomPom2 PomPom2 PomPom2 PomPom2 PomPom2 out of 5!

Oh and incase you were wondering Chains & Flames is about Fearghus's mother and father and how they met. Fun!
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
I read this one, it was fun to read!

Great review Krista! PomPom2
Member Avatar

Absolutely fabulous review.
And while Annwyl sounds nothing like character I'd want to read or care about, you've managed to pique my interest. Good job!
Member Avatar

TankU for the review! Sounds like a cool book even though I haven't gave dragons a thought yet...
Member Avatar

I read the review of the second book and knew that I had read this one too, so I had to go find. I'm still sure I read it, but it didn't make a comment - must have read it on my phone. :blink:

TankU Great review! I will look for these books in the future :)
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Paranormal Book Reviews · Next Topic »