Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Romancereaders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
About a Dragon; by G. A. Aiken
Topic Started: Dec 10 2008, 10:07 PM (288 Views)
Krista
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
Book 2 in the uh Dragon Series… and this is actually a re-release but I think the first book was only in eBook format… I may have made that up. Anyway the old title was The Distressing Damsel which makes a lot of sense after I read the book (ha! beercheer )

Oh and I would call it slightly erotica but with a really great story-line. Eh more like really hot romance. heartheart

The Synopsis:
Quote:

For Nolwenn witch Talaith, a bad day begins with being dragged from bed by an angry mob intent on her crispy end and culminates in rescue by-wait for it-a silver-maned dragon. Existence as a hated outcast is nothing new for a woman with such powerful secrets. The dragon, though? A tad unusual. This one has a human form to die for, and knows it. According to dragon law, Talaith is now his property, for pleasure...or otherwise. But if Lord Arrogance thinks she's the kind of damsel to acquiesce without a word, he's in for a surprise...
Is the woman never silent? Briec the Mighty knew the moment he laid eyes on Talaith that she would be his, but he'd counted on tongue-lashings of an altogether different sort. It's embarrassing, really, that it isn't this outspoken female's magicks that have the realm's greatest dragon in her thrall. No, Briec has been spellbound by something altogether different-and if he doesn't tread carefully, what he doesn't know about human women could well be the undoing of his entire race.

I heart dragon books and it looks like I’ve found a really good Dragon series! Yay! gfy

The characters:

Talaith – So she’s pretty mysterious, her secrets are revealed slowly to the reader, usually when an explanation of her motives is needed. We know she’s a witch, but not why her powers seem to be so weak. We know she has the hots for Briec… not really anything mysterious about THAT one! whisl And the woman does not – shut – up. TMI!! But it was funny, not annoying. Which was good. And she has a great sense of humor. RRthumb She was tossed out on her rear by her dear-old mum when she fell in love with her boyfriend (a big no-no for a Nolween witch – love not allowed, random sexxoring with strangers for the purpose of spells and having children completely cool though RRLame ), after that pregnant and alone she then has her baby stolen from her rbhead by a Goddess with permanent PMS BTCH and forced to live away from her people while waiting for her orders from the Goddess.

Briec – He’s a Dragonly-Dragon (you know like a Manly-Man but a dragon. curst ) He’s not too impressed with humanity, they are SO weak and pretty stupid so what’s to be impressed about? shrg He’s arrogant, oh boy is he arrogant! But like Talaith’s never shutting up it was funny, no scratch that, it was HILARIOUS. The man put his foot in his mouth A LOT and his complete inability to see WTH was wrong with what he said was side-splittingly hilarious. RRlaugh Anyway his brother Fearghus (from Book 1) seems to be super happy with his new “human” mate so Briec figures he’ll give it a shot and “saves” (really more like kidnaps crp ) Talaith.

Their relationship:

OMG these two! Seriously! Remember in like 1st grade when that weird boy RRlech had a crush on you so he ran over and shoved you off the swing? crycry And you ran home crying to your mom rbhead who told you it was ‘cause he liked you, so the next day you threw a rock at him to tell him you liked him too? gtcha Well that’s how Talaith and Briec were, they argued about everything and where that could have gotten annoying it was actually pretty hot. They were so witty most of the time with their insults, and they were both slowly realizing WHY they were fighting (‘cause they liked each other and it got them hot) and that was really amusing/sweet to follow. tass

The Conflict:

So Talaith is up to something because of that mean Bitch of a Goddess she has stalking her. Once you find out WHY Talaith is doing what she’s doing, it makes a lot more sense and I quickly forgave her for ditching Briec.

The Goddess has Talaith’s daughter and will hand her over to the yucky lecherous King of such-and-such place if Talaith (who -surprise!- was trained as an assassin pissycat ) doesn’t kill the Queen of such-and-such island. That Queen turns out to be Briec’s brother, Fearghus’s, wife from the first book. Enter Talaith’s daughter who’s “protector” is like the God of Dragons who wants Fearghus and his crazy ass wife to have babies so they can breed like a super crazy ass team of Dragon/Human hybrids.

Yeah it’s one big Cluster-F of a Conflict. jsthngn

What I liked:

The humor. OMG I laughed out loud SO many times. Hissylaugh

The relationship between Talaith and Briec, there were so many “aww” moments, and then there were the “wow that’s hot” moments. They complemented each other’s characters so well, I could really see why they were drawn to each other, Talaith who was the best representation of humanity (caring for her daughter, smart, funny, independent and yet still needing to be close to others) and for someone (err somedragon) like Briec who had no idea WHAT humanity really was, she was perfect for him. And Briec, strong, the real battle minded one of his family, arrogant, and yet underneath it all very caring, Talaith needed that, she needed someone willing to step in and protect her, and at the same time someone who could step back and have faith that she’ll manage with her own powers.

The badguys. Well okay in this case the bad-woman. She was one evil B-I-T-C-H. Wow I hated her, so yay for a bad-woman who isn’t anything to sneeze at. She was a little (read – very) scary. RRHide

Getting to know more of the dragon family. They are really growing on me!

No Big M’s and trust me there were some places those could have cropped up but luckily the secondary characters made sure they never actually occurred. TankU

What I didn’t like:

I really thought it lagged a bit there in the middle when Talaith and Briec were separated. I found myself skimming until they were back together. pokpok

The conflict was almost TOO much. Jeez seriously I was freaked out through a lot of it that something randomly was going to happen and I wasn’t going to get my HEA. Okay so maybe that’s a good thing, eh I dunno. jsthngn

Talaith’s kid. Wow okay so I don’t know what it was with that kid but I really did not like her one bit. Beatupr Only good thing about her was the Big M she stopped from happening. I hope she gets less annoying because I sense a book with her as the Heroine in the not to near future. helpme

Too much sequel bait. I’ve had some issues lately with sequel bait being too detailed to the point where a relationship is basically already set up by they time that couple actually gets their book. And then that book is always less than impressive (I’m SO looking at you Christine Feehan i.e. the last Drake Sisters book RRdisgust ) I really hope that’s not what’s happening here but I kind of think it is…

Overall this book was really good, yay for dragons and witty dialogue! Only thing that really bothered me enough to effect the overall rating of the book was the lag there in the middle, really the momentum was SO good up until that point but then hit that snag and really took too long to pick back up again, although the end WAS back to the great momentum from the first part.

That said this one gets a RRlaugh RRlaugh RRlaugh RRlaugh out five.

And I am really looking forward to the next one, Sept can’t get here fast enough!!!

schnuppi
Member Avatar
Katie

Sounds pretty cool too Jumphappy The names are a little weird though... :blink: Will take me forever to get used to them, I practiced pronouncing them in my head already RRthud

sdmountainkat
Member Avatar
Kat

TankU Krista! These books sound good!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Paranormal Book Reviews · Next Topic »