Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Romancereaders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Kiss of a Demon King; Kresley Cole
Topic Started: Jan 14 2009, 07:55 PM (765 Views)
MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
This review is for Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole and is part of the Immortals After Dark series. The series so far:

Book 1: Myst and Nikolai in Warlord Wants Forver in the Playing Easy to Get anthlogy
Book 2: Lachlain and Emma in A Hunger Like No Other
Book 3: Sebastian and Kaderin in No Rest for the Wicked
Book 4: Bowen and Mariketa in Wicked Deed's on a Winter's Night
Book 5: Conrad and Neomi in Dark Needs at Night's Edge
Book 6: Caedon and Holly in Dark Desire's After Dusk
Book 7: Sabine and Rydstrom in Kiss of a Demon King

Sabine, Queen of Illusions, has one main goal in life - to survive. After dying over a dozen times before being brought back to life by her sister Lanthe, who can blame a girl? Sabine and Lanthe are Sorceri who have mystickal powers but share the unfortunate distinction of being half-sisters to Omort the Deathless, the evil king of Rothkalina. Centuries ago, an oracle foretold to Omort that Sabine was the mate of Rydstrom, the demon king Omort stole Rothkalina from, and the child they would bear would unlock the untold power of the mysterious Well in Omort's court. Sabine and Lanthe are trapped in Omort's service because he gave them a poison that causes a painful death unless they continue to take it regularly and since he is the only one who possesses it, they must keep in his good graces to live.

Omort sends Sabine to capture and seduce Rydstrom when he finds out that the demon king is trying to obtain a sword that is said to be able to kill him. Sabine has her own plans for the future - she will use this demon king to get pregnant then take over the throne from Omort when her son can use the power of the Well. She is confident that Rydstrom will be seduced quickly, after all who could resist her beauty and illusions?

Rydstrom, the deposed demon king, is finally within reach of the goal he has worked toward for centuries - killing Omort and recapturing his throne. On the way to meet an accomplice in his quest, he is fooled by Sabine's illusions into stepping through a portal to a cell in the dungeon of his old castle in Rothkalina. Once there, Sabine begins her seduction of Rydstrom by getting him very excited then refusing to finish things until he promises to make her his queen. Rydstrom is very confused because this sorceress feels like his mate but there is no way fate would stick him with an evil, selfish woman - right?

Sabine continues her seduction of Rydstrom by showing him his secret fantasies with her illusions but he refuses to break because he will not have her use his child for evil. She is impressed by his strength in spite of herself but refuses to give up her plan because there is no beating Omort any other way. She eventually gets her way but Rydstrom manages to trick her into thinking he made her queen when he really vowed revenge in the demon language.

Turn about is fair play, so when Rydstrom is given a chance to escape unexpectedly from an old enemy, he kidnaps Sabine and has a chance to enact the revenge he contemplated while under her mercy in the dungeon. She is helpless without her hands, so he ties her up and shows her exactly how it feels to be brought to the brink of satisfaction again and again without relief. The longer they stay together, the more certain Rydstrom is that Sabine is his real mate. He no longer knows whether he wants revenge or to seduce Sabine to stay by his side forever. Sabine is impressed by Rydstrom's fighting skills as he wards off attacks as they make their way to a portal out of Rothkalina to New Orleans. She has never had anyone fight for her besides her sister Lanthe and finds herself impressed with his honor and strength. He proves himself to her and slowly makes his way into the heart she didn't know she had anymore after too many years spent trying to survive in Omort's cut-throat court. Rydstrom finds that Sabine is just what he needs - a woman who is unafraid to challenge him in bed and out and someone strong enough to lead his people.

Sabine and Rydstrom are a great pair. Sabine is a bit wicked evilevil but is not evil. goodevil She does what she needs to survive but does not purposely hurt people - well, not unless they come between her and gold chairbeat , a Sorceri obsession. Rydstrom finds that he needs Sabine's wickedness, especially in bed. RRSex The story kept me on the edge of my seat wondering who was going to seduce who Sexyguy - and how do you kill an evil man who can't die? guilli The seduction scenes were hot! Rydstrom had some wicked fantasies in his head howdy that Sabine was more than willing to fulfill ILVSX . The action was non-stop, both in the bed and out getaroom , with it all coming down to Rydstrom facing down Omort for the throne of Rothkalina, where he found out what was really important to him. There was plenty of humor in the book with some great one-liners from Nucking Futs Nix. Kiss of a Demon King was a great read with two very interesting and complex characters who find love where they least expect it.

Kissykiss Kissykiss Kissykiss Kissykiss Kissykiss out of five!!!
Edited by MelissaB, Jan 20 2009, 01:00 AM.

schnuppi
Member Avatar
Katie

Huh, that one sounds cool! Thanks for the review!

The only thing that confused the heck out of me were the names rSCRD

EssieLou
Member Avatar
Administrator

Thanks for the review! I didn't realize it was in the series until you mentioned Nix. Sounds like a good book.

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Great review Melissa TankU ..my copy is on order ..can't wait for it to come, love this series !..

sdmountainkat
Member Avatar
Kat

This one sounds good! I have only read the first in the series, so I have some catching up to do before I get to it... rdng Seems to be the story of my life!

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
I edited my review to say more about the book and series!

tracymc
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
Great review Melissa

What are the books in the series TankU

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
tracy,

I added that info to the start of the review!

schnuppi
Member Avatar
Katie

So far I've only read the first book in the Playing Easy to Get Anthology. I really liked it, I think the heroine was a little too kick-ass though catfight The chemestry in the book was great, however.

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
the last 2 in the series were brilliant...Dark Desires after Dusk and Dark Needs at Nights Edge ..my favourite of the 2 is DNANE - Conrad and Neomi's story...He's a vampire and she's a ghost ..This really is a good series but as I'm a bit anal about reading in the right order , I'd recommend you read them in order ..
Edited by CeeJay, Jan 14 2009, 11:49 PM.

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
schnuppi,

Try A Hunger Like No Other, the heroine is not at all kick-butt. I find the books very funny and enjoyable.

schnuppi
Member Avatar
Katie

MelissaB
Jan 14 2009, 11:59 PM
schnuppi,

Try A Hunger Like No Other, the heroine is not at all kick-butt. I find the books very funny and enjoyable.
I really wanna read the other books in the series since I liked the one in the anthology already! Those short stories usually are only half as good as a real book so I can imagine that the series will rock

EssieLou
Member Avatar
Administrator

I'll be honest in that I don't think I'll be reading any more KC books. I've yet to like any of her heroines, especially the one in the last book. And this one sounds even more unlikeable than any of the others (though the book does sound well written etc). Plus her endings are all the same (go home to the Vallkyries and smart mouthed Nix--- who I don't like either).

They're definately an aquired taste ....My friend who is a huge Charmed fan adores this series....I gave her all of mine.

tracymc
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
MelissaB
Jan 14 2009, 11:29 PM
tracy,

I added that info to the start of the review!
Melissa thanks for extra info on the books TankU

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
Essie,

I can understand your problem. I enjoy these for the stories and the humor rather than falling in love with the characters. I don't connect enough with the characters to really care for them but I still really enjoy the stories. I love the humor which is nice for me because I can't stand a lot of supposedly funny books.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Paranormal Book Reviews · Next Topic »
  • Pages: