Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Romancereaders. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Branded by Fire; by Nalini Singh
Topic Started: Jul 9 2009, 11:09 PM (926 Views)
MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
Branded by Fire starts out with some fireworks as Mercy, a top sentinel in the Dark River leopard pack, has a hot forbidden interlude with Riley, the second to the alpha of the Snow Dancer wolf pack. She is a dominant alpha female in her pack which makes her fear that she will never find a mate because she would need someone more dominant than her and she doesn’t think she would be able to submit to a mate the way she would need to. Riley is a stubborn, protective, by-the-rules man who is helplessly drawn to Mercy’s fiery personality. He grew up taking care of his younger siblings and is now the highest ranking lieutenant in the Snow Dancer pack, so he can’t imagine having a mate like Mercy who insists on taking care of herself.

Mercy and Riley are thrown together often as their respective pack’s representative in the alliance between the cats and wolves – especially now as attacks on humans, changelings and Psy are beginning to escalate. The sexual attraction between Mercy and Riley leads them to start a forbidden affair because they just can’t keep their hands off each other. Mercy knows Riley is a dominant wolf who will try to take over her life, which she thinks will kill a part of herself. Riley feels like he needs to protect those he loves, especially after what he sees as a failure to protect his little sister Brenna from being attacked. Mercy and Riley start to care a lot about each other but both are afraid of the consequences of staying together. They both dedicate their lives to protecting their packs – plus cats and wolves just barely get along. Can they both survive a mating – and do they have any choice but to try since their feelings are so intense?

I loved this story! Mercy and Riley were such a great pair, they really complemented each other in every way. The love scenes were scorching hot! Riley certainly knows how to please a woman. Both Riley and Mercy had to come to terms with each other – Riley had to accept that he could be dominant with Mercy while they were making love but he needed to see her as a partner at all other times and not try to shield her, while Mercy had to accept and trust Riley enough to allow him completely into her heart as a mate.

The storyline of the series progresses as we learn more about the battle for and against Silence in the Psy web and more clues about the Ghost’s identity. Sienna and Hawke have small parts in the story, I can’t wait until we see what happens between them. Lucas and Sascha receive wonderful news that I have been waiting for! I also found out the answer to the two questions I have been wondering about since I heard of the pairing between Riley and Mercy: What type of children will a wolf and cat have together and how can two dominant sentinels from different packs actually make a mating work – but you will have to read Branded by Fire to find out for yourself!

CeeJay
Member Avatar
Trilogy
Melissa ..I couldn't wait to read this one before I read your review ...now I really really can't wait !...my book is in the post somewhere ~ so hoping it will be here for the weekend ! RRBang

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
I hope it comes soon for you! I loved it! I read it on a 5 hour session last night

sdmountainkat
Member Avatar
Kat

Sounds like it is time to do some catching up!! rdng

Mine
Short Story
 [
Very nice review, Melissa! bowdown

I'd have to agree that this book started out very, very nicely!

For some reason, I thought this book was a little clearer about the societies (i.e. changlings, Alliance, Psys). But maybe it's just me FINALLY getting a handle on things after this time. Hmmm....

...AND the excerpt for Blaze of Memory...well, that looks interesting! Jumphappy

MelissaB
Member Avatar
Epic Saga
 [
Mine - yes I can't wait for Blaze of Memory!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Paranormal Book Reviews · Next Topic »