Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Speed Deadlifts
Topic Started: Jun 9 2009, 07:31 PM (516 Views)
Pint
Member Avatar

I am trying to improve form and overall poundage in the deadlift. I am weaker in the bottom part of the movement than the top and tend to 'back pull' on the heavier weights...

I want to encorporate speed deads into my training, but am not sure what (other than the speed) is different than normal deadlifting. I have scanned youtube and lots of the 'speed deadlifts' vids are singles rather than reps....

how should I encorporate these, and what exactly should I be doing....?

Also, will these help with my overall deadlifting (pulls from the floor/ moving the weight)... :scratch

Cheers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ANDY OX
Member Avatar
Not The Mama
This is something i incorperated in my training at the end of last year after watching a Westside DVD.Its one of the reasons my Squat and Deadlift improved so much after being stuck for a long time.
By doing M/E max effort days and D/E dynamic effort days your training for strength and speed so power.
My max Squat and Deadlift was 280kg 1 rep on max days and on D/E days i would use around 140 - 150kg for 2 fast reps every 30 - 40 seconds for 8 to 12 sets.
Like i say it really worked for me.

KINGHAM22

i do these matt just before i do stones normally i use smaller plates so there is a greater rom. and i use woody bands wraped around bar. i have found these to be effective at helping my deadlift powerclean and stones

Pint
Member Avatar

Thanks guys,

So the idea is not to hit the top weights, but rather to work on the explosion from the floor! I am getting a better picture of how to use these now.

The notion of about half 1RM for speed doubles, with 30-40 sec rest for sets is something I have not tried but will certainly have a crack at. I reckon I will try 120-130kg to start with (1RM 220).

I think the idea of smaller plates to help with Range of Movement is really good also, I suppose standing on a plank or raised platform would work similarly.... This should help me encorporate legs more by forcing me to go lower!

What are woody bands? Are they like powerbands? I have used powerbands in the past and found them helpful.

ANDY OX
Member Avatar
Not The Mama
Pint
Jun 10 2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks guys,

So the idea is not to hit the top weights, but rather to work on the explosion from the floor! I am getting a better picture of how to use these now.

The notion of about half 1RM for speed doubles, with 30-40 sec rest for sets is something I have not tried but will certainly have a crack at. I reckon I will try 120-130kg to start with (1RM 220).

I think the idea of smaller plates to help with Range of Movement is really good also, I suppose standing on a plank or raised platform would work similarly.... This should help me encorporate legs more by forcing me to go lower!

What are woody bands? Are they like powerbands? I have used powerbands in the past and found them helpful.

I'd actually start with less than half your 1RM because its all about speed and if your gonna do 10 sets then if its too heavy it will be a pointless exercise.I'd start at 100kg for a few weeks.Forget the weight you will be doing that another day,D/E day is all about speed.

I also have some Iron Woody bands,they are really good quality.
Edited by ANDY OX, Jun 10 2009, 07:57 AM.

Pint
Member Avatar

Thanks for the advice. 100kg it is!!

I need to get some bands too I think.. Any ideas where I might get some?
Edited by Pint, Jun 10 2009, 01:11 PM.

ANDY OX
Member Avatar
Not The Mama
This is where i got mine
Iron Woody

Pint
Member Avatar

Cheers,
will get some of these bands come payday....

Tried the 100kgx 2 for 8 sets with slight variations on form. put three vids up on my log (pint log)...If anyone has a minute or two to look at these I would really appreciate some feedback (which form is best, comments on finish position, ease of weight etc...).

Thanks
Matt

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Training · Next Topic »
Add Reply