Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
square box, quarter sleeves and other obscurities
Topic Started: Sep 20 2015, 05:31 PM (1,080 Views)
shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Since around 15years I am collection video tapes.
The fun of collection is for me the hunt, and ofcours the finding of titles that are on my list.
there are many things you learn about video's along the way of collecting. you find out what tapes are more commen and what tapes are "rare".
I really enjoy finding these "rare/obscure" video releases. it is not so much the movies that are difficult to find, but more the format or packaging that they have.

the most interest period I find "the beginning" of the pre-recorded video.
it was not yet clear what video system would rule the video world ... and the packaging was also not decided yet.
most of the video collectors are aware of vhs - betamax - vcc/video2000.
most movies were released on all 3 of these systems ... and most of the time 1 box was used were all 3 tapes each would fit in .... the avarage video box.
than there are the paper box releases. that would only fit the tape for the system it was released for. also quiet commen.

in a couple of countries big plastic square boxes were released in the mid/end 70's.
as far as I know, only holland, germany and the uk released these boxes.
the boxes from germany and holland were made to fit vhs,betamax, vcc/video2000, vcr and svr system. the aquare boxes from the uk would also fit 8mm roles ... but I believe the wont fit svr/vcr tapes.
There are other countries that also released plastic square boxes .... but these were made years later and clearly only made for vhs and perhaps beta.

in holland, germany and the uk. big square glasboxes were released. these would only fit the vcr and svr system. these glasboxes are made from the same material as old musik kasset boxes.

belgium/france (videobox label), germany uk released paperboxes for the sv ad vcr tapes (sadly I dont have any of these)

the vcr and svr system never made it ..... so the packaging had to be changed.
the boxes became smaller, but the video sleeves were still looking like 8mm sleeves. the so called quarter sleeve.
as far as I know these were released in holland, germany and france.

would be very interested to see what other rareties you have found, or know of.
so it is more about the very old mono color video sleeves .... or boxes that look very experimental.
for example there are also spanish video releases with a leather box that almost look like a book ......
not so much interested in the square box disney or titanic releases ;) , the T2 vhs fanbox or a mis print videosleeve
but the pre 90's video packaging.
Edited by shootgringoshoot, Sep 20 2015, 06:53 PM.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
the big plastic square box. I only knwo these from holland germany and the uk (uk boxes are slightly different ... they have a round cut inside to fit 8mm roles)

Posted Image

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
the square glasbox for vcr / svr system
Posted Image
Edited by shootgringoshoot, Sep 20 2015, 06:47 PM.

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
the quarter sleeve release
Posted Image

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
paperbox vcc/video2000 vhs beta ..... already more commen
Posted Image
Edited by shootgringoshoot, Sep 20 2015, 06:48 PM.

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
small box betamax ..... look at the beautifull pattern on the beta tape!
Posted Image

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
glasbox. made for vhs betamax and vcc/video2000
each system had there own size box

Posted Image

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
book box.
hartbox with image print on the box
Posted Image

Ironmaster
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Interesting topic, nice looking boxes Tom. Heres another one. Video8 release

Seems to be a normal vhs box before you open it.
Posted Image

When open its a completly different story.
Posted Image

In the box theres another one lurking
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

shootgringoshoot
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
very nice rikard! would love to have a spaghetti western on this format!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · VHS / Beta / Video2000 · Next Topic »
Add Reply