Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EGLIMA STO KOLONAKI (1959); The Best Greek Mystery Thriller Ever !!!
Topic Started: Dec 9 2006, 09:31 PM (1,233 Views)
trash-online
Unregistered

Oh and why release a movie that's not going to sell more than two hundred copies on DVD? First day it comes out somebody uploads it to torrent sites (Greeks love torrents) and everybody downloads and nobody is buying. Yes that's Greece: Everybody wants to watch the film to make fun of but nobody wants to spend money to buy it. Everything that is free is good.

OK so let's suppose one of you finds the cash and releases two "Greek Cult Movies" on DVD: Who will do the distributing? Are you going to go to DVD rental stores yourself and say "this is my movie please buy it"? Doesn't work because stores want the disc to be part of a package of "bigger" films. Perhaps you believe you are going to find a reliable distributor who will pay on time and won't rip you off? Sounds like a joke to me.... Can you just forget about distribution and sell only online? Will you sell enough copies to cover your mastering, authoring, designing and pressing costs???? Will you make enough profit in order to keep putting out DVDs or will you retire after your first release?

As for the foreign fans they would rather buy DVDs of films that already have worldwide cult following instead of a little film that is unheard outside of Greece.

You may think "who the f#%* is this guy who tries to discourage us?" Well I am just somebody who has tried everything I mentioned above and NOTHING worked!

Why don't we all just forget about those damn "Greek Cult Movies" forever? :D
Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Things are rather bad as both IVC doctor & trash-online said, but I'm affraid another problem is we haven't the money ourselves to start a company like that. No money - no honey, as whores use to say.

If I ever try something my target will be online sales. There are Greeks out there in USA & Europe hungry for Greek films. I'm not that pesimistic about international sales...

But I agree the main problem is Greek copyright owners. I've talked with trash-online about that -as he said he tried hard in the past- and I know these people want to be rich just selling one movie only. But...who really knows? Old people are dying (I'm sorry if I sound bad!) and maybe their sons & daughters are more open-minded...I hope :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
I saw the brand-new TV remake of this film for the series "THE STORIES OF DETECTIVE BEKAS".
The same story, yes, but with some differences:
-Detective Bekas had a really big part in the series' film, while he was just a little into the original movie.
-We didn't watch any of the murders in the series (police just found the bodies afterwards)
-There were much less night scenes
-No scary atmosphere and almost no suspense (except the moment they saw the "dead" victim...alive)

Strangely the victim/killer has a similar voice !!

Finally, comparing the old 1959 b/w film with this year's long TV episode we understand how much better older films are...
...And it's not only the story for a good film, it's the direction mainly, how you film the story, as cinema is images and not just words.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Greek Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply