Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA DVD; 2007 Release...
Topic Started: Dec 18 2006, 09:48 AM (883 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
After being made aware of the rights issues surrounding this Polselli gem when hearing of a proposed DVD release from (ahem) 'NO SHAME' (the rights, i was told, were a mess at present and resided with the CECCHI-GORI group, who were experiencing bankruptcy problems with the courts and one of their holding companies) the matter now seems a little clearer. It would appear that CECCHI-GORI themselves will be releasing this one on their own 'Cecchi-Gori Home Video' label and that maybe (ahem) 'NO SHAME' jumped the gun somewhat by believing they would be sub-licensing the rights (or maybe they will simply attempt the dubious American way of releasing it and not have to bother with such trivial things such as rights fees, eh?)...

So, for now at least, it appears that CECCHI-GORI (the rights owners on this Polselli title) will keep a firm grip on it and give it a welcome LEGITIMATE release that will be respectful to the Italian director and Italian industry in general...

=)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
The film that Image Entertainment was planning to release in the States was RIVELAZIONI DI UNO PSICHIATRA SUL MONDO PERVERSO DEL SESSO. They had a deal going with Nigel Wingrove's REDEMPTION (aka SALVATION) to release some Polselli films that Wingrove's company had "acquired". Renato had always claimed to still own the rights on a few of his films (including RITI..., RIVELAZIONI..., LA VERITA' SECONDO SATANA and OSCENITA') and REDEMPTION bought these films from another party. Renato was fuming about this and sent them a legal letter telling them to cease their plans for releases of RITI and RIVELAZIONI or he would consider suing them. He clearly stated his claim on the worldwide rights for those 2 films they planned releases for. However, they simply ignored his letter and never replied. They subsequently releases RITI... as a joint-effort with Image Entertainment in the States on VHS, laserdisc and then later on DVD. Renato considered his options and, despite advice to the contrary, felt he was too old and with didn't have enough money to fight what he saw as two international companies in the courts, so he left the matter alone (he had sent the same legal letter to Image Entertainment).
Wingrove's company also planned a release for RIVELAZIONI... which they had bought from the same source. But, after Image Entertainment became aware of the XXX nature of the film and also the fact that this hardcore footage went hand-in-hand with a film with heavy subject matter, they balked and refused to have anything to do with it. This was after the film had been in the preparation stages already in the UK (i am unsure what the release would have been like as, from what i was told by Marc Morris who worked for them at the time, he had been preparing what was basically a composite of the film from the "original negative" (hmmm) and a rare alternate video master...so, sounded like a bastardized edit that had no official authorisation from Renato as far as rights OR directorial vision!).

I am 100% confident in mentioning this here as this was relayed to me from Renato. He was very frustrated about the lack of help for directors such as himself who have their work "stolen" (this is what he personally always swore was the case with the releasing of RITI in the States...not my words, but Renato's) and it distressed him. It makes one wonder how companies must feel about causing such distress to old-aged veterans of cinema like Renato (who they often claim to be fans of) when they claim they are confident they have secured the rights to the films OFFICIALLY and PROPERLY with no underhand means, yet refuse to contact the director in person to double-check this is the case. From what i understand, Renato had all the LEGALLY prepared documentation for 4 or 5 of his films, but had simply never filed them with the copyright archiving authorities in Rome. This does not mean they are any less legally binding or valid...only that companies will be less aware of who owns the rights if they are NOT filed there (which means that companies should then do their homework and put in the extra effort to trace the rights, which often seems to be ignored in favour of simply buying dubious rights from third parties who often probably make them up out of thin air)...

Like i say...Renato's claims are represented here, not my own (although, i know who i tend to believe in this case!)...

LA VERITA' SECONDO SATAN and OSCENITA' rights are tied to someone i know officially, also, so don't believe it if some company claims to be releasing them and you haven't heard it officially here first... ;)

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
UNA VERGINE PER SATANA was directed solely by Bruno Vani. It was filmed in the early-to-mid 1970s but never completed and subsequently abandoned. A while later, Bruno approached Renato with the idea of using the footage that he had in the can and turning it into a new project altogether by filming and incorporating new footage that would change the plot of the film. Renato filmed all the new footage and very little of Vani's aborted project was used in the final product, known as CASA DELL'AMORE.....LA POLIZIA INTERVIENE.

Personally, as much as i love and admire Renato's work and thought alot of the man himself, CASA DELL'AMORE... is one of his lesser films and you can almost feel the lack of passion he had for the project. It was pretty much a commercial venture, with very little in the way of creative enthusiasm. And whilst Bruno's films were of a lesser creative quality than Renato's, i think the footage (combined with the original title) that he shot hinted at a far more interesting and sleazy film than the one they subsequently put together with the scraps!

I probably shouldn't promote the buying of DVD-R copies of LA VERITA' SECONDO SATANA, seeing as i know the rights-owner. However, it is a great film and maybe even Renato's best and deserves to be seen. But please try to locate your copy via trade with someone if possible, rather than paying for it, as this is a more respectfully intentioned way of viewing such rarities when the rights are known to exist with someone who has yet to release them...

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Expert? Maybe you think too highly of my knowledge! lol

I know alot, but there are a great many others out there who know more. I am just happy to help out with info whenever i can, which is not always possible. Still, i will continue to share anything i can with people wherever the opportunity pops up!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DVD, VCD & Blu-Ray · Next Topic »
Add Reply