Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
THE DEVILS - KEN RUSSELL; how many more to jump on the bandwagon?
Topic Started: Jan 7 2007, 03:48 PM (981 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

I was browsing around today and notice a banner advert from HK Flix with - The Devils - Now on DVD!".. Hmm I thought so I take a look. As i thought, exactly the same extras ans everything else as per the same 2 discs that Wayne compiled together for a truly remarkable 2 disc set..

The folks at lfvw see this, grab it and turn it into an anamorphic 1 disc DVD with all the extras as per the 2 disc set that Wayne compiled. Now I see the same disc being offered from Angel Digital (presuming this is Luminous's dodgy label?) and today from another company called Spazmondo..

How many more labels to jump on the Devils bandwagon and use the same disc for their own non-legit releases??

Heres an exerpt from an Amazon.com discussion :

I bought it directly from ANGEL DIGITAL. It seems that theirs is a geniune effort to bring this classic to its raving audience, since Warner Bros isn't the least interested in realising it. With thi said, this DVD version of THE DEVILS still lacks the visual punch of a truly digitally remastered video. It looks like a very good VHS to digital transfer. It does look way better than the VHS version available in AMAZON, but still a lot could be improved upon. This version of THE DEVILS includes the infamous "rape of christ" scene and other minor scenes that were omitted from the theatrical release. The real icing on the cake are the extras, which feature a full lengthe documentary of the film with interviews with the surviving cast and crew and the devil himself, Ken Russell!

Spazmondo disc info : http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.535868.../qx/details.htm
Angel Digital : http://www.lfvw.com/devils.html

I notice Luminous's efforts to give Wayne credit at the bottom right..

LMAO - So everyone thinks LFVW (aka angel digital) are responsible for this. I know Wayne isnt one for show boating n shit, but credit where its due.. Makes me sick! :angry:

...... C.........
Quote Post Goto Top

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
First of all, ABV, cheers for the email...i WILL reply (at great length, as usual...lol) real soon!

Yeah, you no-doubt remember being the person to have supplied Luminous with their copy of the film in the first place (directly or indirectly) but neither you nor they could be blamed for wanting good things to come from it! Fred from Luminous was nice enough though when i informed him that i had been responsible for it. He immediately added a little side-note giving me credit for the work on the composite and the extras (which weren't just accumulated, but minor restoratio work was done on lobby cards and posters to removed wear and tear, etc.). It is nice to be recognised for work on stuff like this, even if just a fan, as once unofficial copies like this get circulated EVERYONE wishes to claim to have "prepared" the version, etc. or have an "exclusive", when this is simply not true. Fred was a real gent and gave me credit where people will see it, and that is a minor yet kind gesture...
He even asked if i was sure i wanted my name linked to it in case Warner came after me...to which i replied "if you are happy to sell the thing, then i am happy to be given credit!"...lol

And, as you know mate, it was sourced directly from the UK video release of the late-1990s that was about as definitive a release as it had ever had. It was newly remastered and whilst not in full 2.35:1 ratio, was still nicely letterboxed at around 1.80:1. I then used footage culled from Mark Kermode's awesome TV documentary on the finding of the missing footage to insert the 'Rape of Christ' sequence back into the film for the first time ever, although i can't recall adding any other footage as the other missing moments shown in the documentary were either too brief (thus, it was impossible to know where they were to be reinstated) or had voice-over narration from people like Vanessa Redgrave or Ken Russell...

So, perhaps someone ELSE has had a stab at adding those extra little moments, minus audio and used the extras i put together? Who knows!

By the way, ABV, i can't seem to access your REZARECTED site any longer as i can't find it via any search engine anymore...what's going on? I know it is still up and running as the links you provided me in your last email worked fine. But no search engine seems to recognise the URL anymore...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:blink:

is coming up on google for me : http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=rezare...le+Search&meta=

Quote Post Goto Top

stephen grimes
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Great post Wayne,i see Fred/LFVW is re-advertising THE DEVILS again on his site's main page.
Do you mind me asking what other projects/restorations you've done in the past and is there anything you'd like to have a go at in the future?

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
First of all, in response to ABV's mentioning of his Google search bringing up his site...that's really strange! Every time i try searching for REZARECTED or www.rezarected.com i get "no results" mentioned every time on Yahoo and Google at present! I will keep trying though...

As for the querie from Stephen about what else i've tried my hand at as a fan, well here is the small list thus far:

THE DEVILS (original 2-disc version, containing composite and over an hour of extras)
TOP SENSATION (composite of American and Italian versions)
DR.LAMB (composite...first and only fully UNCUT and subtitled version in existence...the DVDs are all cut)
LOVE TO KILL (neglected Cat.III classic starring Anthony Wong. All versions have been cut for years on tape, VCD and DVD. An uncut DVD surfaced, albeit with no subs and fullscreen and a near-uncut version WITH subs and letterboxed surfaced shortly after. I made a composite of the two...another first-time ever fully uncut and subtitled version!)

Seeing as Warner can't ba arsed to do anything with THE DEVILS or even allow Ken Russell to work on restoring it, i will no doubt want to go back to it again sometime this year an try adding at least one other moment that could be restored from the documentary, as well as see if i can add more extras...

As for other fan-restorations...hmmm...not sure really...how about yourself? Anybody else have ideas what films they'd like to see composite restorations by fans for?

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Thinking about it, i would love to put together a composite of PENSIONE PAURA along with the Spanish language version (a hyper-rarity in the truest sense of the term!). I have a nice copy of the Italian TV broadcast version, but this was cut by the TV channel themselves back many years ago for broadcast by between 10 and 15 minutes. Someone i know in Spain has a few minutes of the Spanish TV broadcast (he failed to record the entire film back then as he was out at the time and had totally forgotten...rushed back...and only managed to record a small amount of it!), which includes a minute or two of the footage missing from the Italian TV version, which would be nice to reinstate to the film...but i am unsure if it is really worth it?

He also has a friend who has access to the original Spanish TV video master (which is the fully uncut version that was broadcast on TV way back then), but it is unavailable for trade in any way as the master no longer belongs to the TV company who aired it, i believe, and is now archived at some Spanish cultural museum of some sort. Bummer!

Talking of Barilli films, though, reminds me of another composite i was putting together...namely THE PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK/Il Profumo della Signora in nero. I had a perfect copy of the (then) ultra-rare Greek VHS release on DVD-R that a friend had done for me and also a perfect quality Italian TV broadcast version. The Italian TV version was actually a better print, perfectly letterboxed and very clean, but unfortunately was cut slightly in a couple of places (namely, the Mimsy Farmer rape scene and the climax, although POSSIBLY it may have been trimmed slightly in the cleaver-murder also...can't quite remember). I had planned to insert footage from the uncut Greek video version into the Italian TV version and then make available a 2-disc DVD-R set that would have offered the English dub version (uncut) and a composite of the Italian language version (uncut)...but after letting it sit around at home for a couple of months too long, it had an official DVD release spring up out of nowhere! lol

ARCANA would be nice to make a composite of too, seeing as the only known available version (the Italian TV broadcast edit) is cut by something like 15 minutes!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nice work you do with those composites. But these two releases are originals or bootlegs, because HKFlIX sells originals. As per the store REZARECTED I tried it to google, I got http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rezar...G=Google+Search
so they have it just above this CINEHOUND forums. And then I put it as www.rezarected.com and ther's nothing. Strange!
I browsed the store and I like it. Nice site. I like the way they have their full movie catalogue in their opening page. Too easy to search. I've noticed BRAZILLIAN STAR WARS!! what the hell is that? :lol:
Also i like quality ratings. I need to take my time browsing it and then get something. Now I see Brazillians did their own remakes of films like STAR WARS i thought Turks only did. Stores with DVD-R considered as bootlegers offer titles lost and forgotten without any chance for an original release anywhere even in those countries. I spend my weekends browsing them discovering films that I've never heard off.
I mean I say hello to any new store like this one REZARECTED and I find a lot of interest there. I only wish I had more money to spend but I'm sure that's for everybody.
Quote Post Goto Top

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
HKFLIX sells originals as well as bootlegs...they either just don't always realise they are selling 'grey-area'/pro-looking bootlegs or prefer to ignore the fact! I think i even contacted them before about THE DEVILS (or maybe another company) as they were listing it as an original and also suggesting it was "fully uncut and complete" when i had specifically stated in my original sleeve info that it was a NEAR-COMPLETE composite still missing some footage but was the MOST complete version to have yet surfaced. Still, most who stock it continues to claim it is "complete and uncut" and ignore these facts!

Maybe you shoudl enquire with REZARECTED whether you can get a discount on a bulk order for your first purchase? He's a nice guy and i am sure he would come up with something for you CINEHOUNDS if it means enticing new custom! ;p

ajji
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Wayne's my main man! B)

i'd sure like to see THE DEVILS, preferably after you've had your second go at it.

as for Warners, this is really shameful. either they should do justice to this work by one of cinema's most influential and important directors, or hand over the rights to someone like Criterion or Anchor Bay or NoShame, etc. who'll be glad to do it. :angry:

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Ken is one of my favourite directors...he was really a talent in his prime and also more than lived up to his monicker of "enfant terrible of British cinema"!
A shame, then, that after this footage had been thought LOST for decades and the few (such as Ken) who had scoured vaults for it for so long had given up, Kermode uncovered it in a virtual MIRACLE of investigative chance-happenings and then WARNER refuse to do anything with it. Even MORE shameful is the fact that Kermode and Ken asked whether they could access the rights to release it themselves, which WARNER turned their nose up at and even when they offered to restore the film personally and oversea the remastering for a DVD release, WARNER were not interested (in fact, they have always seemed very uneasy about the fact that they even OWN this film in their library!)...
Good news as of a year or two ago though...a special print was assembled using a newly struck 35mm print which had the much of the recently-found footage re-instated into it. This was prepared for a special screening in Britain that was shown to a packed auditorium of the public that also featured Ken Rusell, Mark Kermode and some Warner executives. After seeing the reaction the film got, and hearing Kermode and Russell make empassioned speeches on how the film NEEDS to be restored and released on DVD, the execs were apparently fairly positive in their attitude about possibly giving it some form of DVD release i the near future...so, watch the Internet for any news that may materialise!

Ken Russell, at this time, is participating here in the UK in 'CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER', which is both a waste of his talent AND actually nice to see! lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DVD, VCD & Blu-Ray · Next Topic »
Add Reply