Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
**************RED ROSE*************; Hindi homage to the Italian gialli
Topic Started: Jan 29 2007, 10:56 AM (1,460 Views)
WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
"RED ROSE" (1980)
Director: Bharathi Rajaa
Hindi language
1.33:1
138 minutes

This one was on satellite TV the other night in a great quality print!
Full of the usual song and dance moments typical to Hindi films, Bharathi Rajaa's film is nevertheless is a decent stab at copying the Italian giallo style and features some strange editing, good photography, wildly colourful gels ala Bava/Argento, a leather-clad killer and a delirious music score that combines the 1980's era music of the time with more golden-era giallo style score!

Poonam Dhillon plays Sharda, a shop worker who falls for the charms of Anand, played by one of India's most revered actors, Rajesh Khanna. They are soon married and settle into a confortable life with dreams of a great future together. Only Sharda starts to uncover things about her husband's past...dark things that apparently have not vanished altogether...

Many slow spots, as can typify Indian films to those not familiar with the culture and the length of their films, but when it gets going it has more than enough 'gialloesque' moments to make fans happy...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
I know this film and I know it's very good but I haven't seen it yet :(

I have it on official DVD with English subtitles.

I'll let you know the label soon...and I'll post the cover :)

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Cool. Yeah, i did a search for a DVD of it the other day and noticed that it has finally had a DVD release...with those all important subs too!

ajji
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
i've seen this one, too. never saw the dvd in shops, though. Wayne, from a foreigner's point of view do you think this one is better than Khanna's other suspense thriller, PHIR WAHI RAAT?

WANYON
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Errrrm...i dunno! Never seen PHIR WAHI RAAT! Wasn't that one of the discs you had put in my parcel that your friend has had for 2 months and not sent me yet? lol

Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
If I'm not mistaken Pete Tombs mentioned this one as a possible entry in Mondo Macabro's BOLLYWOOD HORROR COLLECTION in a recent-ish issue of the fine Canadian horror periodical RUE MORGUE.
But if it's already available as a english subtitled DVD ... ?
Worldweird Cinema

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
It's 100% out on English subtitled DVD but I can't remember the label and if is in USA or UK...But I'm sure because I have it. I bought it from ebay but I cannot find it there anymore.

I'll let you know the label in a couple of days and I'll post the cover.

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
OK, I'm almost 4 months late for my promise for the DVD cover, but better late than never :rolleyes:

RED ROSE was out in India by "T-Series" label (I think they mainly produce music discs) with English subtitles. I post the cover below...

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
If you search for RED ROSE DVD you could buy it from INDUNA store!
http://www.induna.com/1000000565-productdetails/

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have ordered it a few days ago. Should arrive soon.
I came to know this title from a documentary on a Mondo Macabro DVD (Zinda Laash, I think), and I am keen on this movie for some time. I will report my impressions as soon as I have seen it.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bollywood & Pakistani Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply