Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ARTICLE ON GREEK FANTASTIC CINEMA!; In the upcoming issue of Video Watchdog!
Topic Started: May 16 2007, 08:31 PM (1,210 Views)
Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
From the Video Watchdog website:

ATHENS AFTER MIDNIGHT: A Guide To Greek Fantastic Cinema

"You've read all about the horror and fantasy cinemas of Spain, Italy, China and Mexico, but what about Greece? In a groundbreaking article full of information new to English reference, Dimitris Koliodimos explores more than a half-century of mind-bending film from the Mediterranean isles where myth and legend were born!"

Sounds great. And about time too, huh?
Worldweird Cinema
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Dimitris Koliodimos has published a few interesting Greek books about fantastic cinema, Greek theater releases, Greek cinema, etc...Especially his "movie & theater reference" books are very useful.

I don't know him but I have the feeling he likes horror & fantasy but not really the stuff we like. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel he doesn't go further than Carpenter, Hooper, Romero & Argento, if you understand what I mean. I cannot be sure, I only judge by his books.

Anyway, his post for the Video Watchdog in English is a nice surprise and I guess a step beyond for him so I'm waiting to read it B)

Lamao
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Also, the so-called New Greek Cinema has produced some films that could be called "phantastique" like I SKIACTHRA, http://imdb.com/title/tt0090031/ and some others. I recall too a similar film with Elena Nathanail Ι think, made in the 90s, but I can't find the title

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Films like that may have some fantastic elements but you cannot call them horror or exploitation...

Deleted User
Deleted User

I know what you mean about Koliodimos but I'm always thinking positive in a 'better this than nothing' way. 'A Guide To Greek Fantastic Cinema' in English sounds at least interesting! About the film I SKIACTHRA I know nothing, title must be 'Ta skiahtra', Manousakis thrillers on tv are ok but I don't know about this movie.
Quote Post Goto Top

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
Spanish fly
May 19 2007, 01:32 PM
I know what you mean about Koliodimos but I'm always thinking positive in a 'better this than nothing' way.

Hm, I often follow the "'better this than nothing" option but it could called misery, don't you agree?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against koliodimos, I'm sure the guy gives his best, it's that I don't run after his books and his writings...That's all B)

A.N.
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Koliodimos (or Kolliodimos according to his own transliterating rules ;) ) is also the author of a precious Greek filmography, written in English and published by McFarland. Very useful.

cinehound
Member Avatar
Administrator
I didn't know that book has an English publication...Of course is very useful !!

70s
Unregistered

That book is THE GREEK FILMOGRAPHY: 1914 THROUGH 1996, very useful for the people with interest in Greek movies. But Koliodimos has written a lot of other Greek books like small booklets about Sam Pekinpa & Bruce Lee, the book 365 NIHTES TROMOU KE EPISTIMONIKIS FANTASIAS - the title means '365 nights of horror & sci-fi' and presents 365 movies to spend all your nights in one year!
Another book is LEXIKO ELLINIKON TENION - it means 'Lexicon of Greek movies', I haven't it but I think is similar to the english book. Also O KOMIS DRAKULAS STIN OTHONI means 'Count Dracula at the screen' and of course is about vampiric films. 80 HRONIA XENOS KINIMATOGRAPHOS STIN ELLADA is a wonderful book about the foreign movies in greek theaters and their several greek translations (titles). A nice book. A new book is I LATRIA TOU AIMATOS (The worship of blood) about bloody horror films and for greek films with the word 'blood' on title. Very good book! Do you remember that article in 'Cine7' magazine by Kehris? Koliodimos was also in the Cine7 team.

Miltos, I know what you mean about Koliodimos but I like his books. He also likes asian and filipino and mexican b-movies and not only famous movies as you said. You must read his books to find out. Now he is director -or something in Star Channel!!

You must buy 365 NIHTES...and I LATRIA TOU AIMATOS books to read.
Quote Post Goto Top

A.N.
Advanced Member
[ *  * ]
Your post is very useful and interesting for us, non-Greek people interested in Greek cinema and Greek books on cinema.

Unfortunately, the Koliodimos' "Greek filmography" is full of mistakes, especially regarding the actors roles and the synopses. And, moreover, it does not include the XXX movies produced or co-produced by Greece.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Greek Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply