Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Got something to say about Asian movies
Topic Started: Sep 26 2007, 03:30 PM (10,870 Views)
Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Funny you should mention that book!
I was buying a VCD of the old HK horror flick SPOOKY FAMILY about a month ago from some guy over at Asian Dvd Guide forum. Like here most people over there have aliases so you never know who people really are. Then at some stage during the trade I mentioned that I had reviewed the film 15 years ago in a Danish magazine, and the seller then said he'd written a book about these films... and he turned out to be Daniel O'Brian, author of "Spooky Encounters"! And as it happens I had bought the book at Amazon only two weeks prior to that. And now you mention it here. Almost surreal :lol:
Anyway, thanks for the links.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I do not know if members of this forum are aware that a new version of "Painted Skin", a ghost story from the Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio collection, is being shot at the moment. This movie has as its stars Donnie Yen (better known for his martial arts prowess) and mainland Chinese actress Zhou Xun. As the story is about an effete scholar who becomes enamoured by a demon, it will be interesting to see how super macho Donnie Yen fits into the role!

Posted Image

This is about the fourth movie version of this story. The previous one was directed by King Hu for Film Workshop, Tsui Hark's production studio (Tsui Hark directed Zu Warriors) in 1992 and starred Joey Wang, better known for her role in the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy from the same studio. I didn't like that version very much, it departed from the simple outline of the original story, resembling more the first Chinese Ghost Story about a ghost in thrall to a powerful demon, and I remember a much creepier (and more faithful to the story) version made in the 1960s (I think by MP & GI) which had a demon/ghost with a green face and big teeth! There was also a version made in Taiwan which I haven't seen.

A first for China is its first proper ghost movie, The Matrimony, released last year, which seems to have borrowed some of its premises from the film The Skeleton Key, but then as Western and Eastern films seem to copy each other's ideas with impunity, that is hardly surprising!

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Funny you should mention that... hey, deja-vu here (see my above post, LOL). In a batch of 5-6 vcd/dvds I just ordered this from Yesasia:

PAINTED SKIN (Taiwan dvd)
Posted Image

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...pid-1003841418/

- but no, Singaporeguy, I didn't know about this new version. Thanks for the info, I for one will sure look forward to that.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Deleted User
Deleted User

The new movie is a joint China-Singapore production and will be released early next year. I know some people involved in it, which is why I am aware of it. It promises to up the gruesome stakes, with hearts being torn out and eaten, in true Oriental style! However, this is only following the original storyline! ;) I hope you will enjoy watching King Hu's version, that isn't such a horrorfest as this one promises to be.

Judging from the link you posted, it may be possible that the Taiwan version I referred to and the King Hu version are one and the same film. I only heard about the Taiwan movie from someone else, so I had assumed it was a different film, but I may have arrived at the wrong conclusion.

I have been having a good deal of fun the past few days re-watching some 80s Hong Kong horror/ghost movies which some kind souls have uploaded onto Youtube in their entirety (although in segments). These include:

Mr Vampire (one 10 minute section is missing, but as I have seen the film before that didn't matter)
Mr Vampire 3
Mr Vampire 4
Exorcist Master
The Haunted Cop Shop
Seventh Curse
The Dead and the Deadly
Spiritual Trinity
Mad Mad Ghost
Ghost Snatchers

A few of them are without sub-titles. Since I understand Cantonese and Mandarin that wasn't a problem for me, but I thought I should mention this all the same.

Several others also available, which I haven't got round to watching yet.

So any fans of HK 80s horror/ghost movies can indulge in their favourite pursuit to their hearts' content, courtesy of Youtube!
Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I'll post about the film when I get it from Yesasia as to whether it is the same or not. Yeah, all those 80s HK horror movies are great! The only one I haven't got is Spiritual Trinity. I guess it's cool they're available at YouTube now (although I don't think the HK producers ever meant to give them away for free) but if one wants a much superior picture quality they are all available at the cost of next to nothing (and all subtitled) at Dddhouse and Yesasia in Hong Kong.

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
I got the Mondo Macabro newsletter a couple of days ago and apart from mentioning QUEEN OF BLACK MAGIC and JAKA SEMBUNG/THE WARRIOR which we all know are coming by now, they also mention the next two releases which will be SNAKE SISTERS and HELL'S GROUND/ZIBAHKHANA!!!

Ahhh... :D :D :D

Posted Image

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
TAXI HUNTER finally on DVD!!!
Just got news (curtesy of Mike Thomason in OZ) that Herman Yau's TAXI HUNTER is finally out on DVD!!! The movie stars Anthony Wong as an disgruntled office worker with a grudge against taxi drivers! The new dvd is out in Malaysia of all places! So far the only way to see this is on HK vcd (or way old vhs) but now it's obtainable on dvd. Yay!! If you like Herman Yau's other Anthony Wong films, EBOLA SYNDROME and UNTOLD STORY, I suggest you get this one too. It's not Cat. 3 but it's still quite dark, nasty and violent, and definitely entertaining!

Posted Image

Here's a link to a store in Malaysia where you can get it:
http://eastern.com.my/dvd_search.asp?id=73802

And by the way, I wasn't aware of this shop before and it certainly looks pretty cool. They've got lots of Indo and Malay horror films!

Here's more scans from the dvd:
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread...5310#post565310

Edit: I have no idea why Photobucket removed my Malay TAXI HUNTER cover cos they didn't mind my HK cover - although they're not all that different. :huh: :huh:
So here's the HK cover instead:

Posted Image

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Aahh, it seems RAPI FILMS is back for good and they've got a new horror film on its way:

Posted Image

It premieres April 30th. Obviously I have no idea if it's any good but cool they're back.

Info here (best understood if you read Indonesian):
http://www.rapifilms.com/main_movies.php?id=43

Jack

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Since Jared is now co-mod of this our most beloved Asian section I'd just like to say welcome on board pal. You will of course be second in command and address me either 'sire', 'master' or 'your holiness'. B)

(PS: and yes, I'll make a reply to your 'gimme HK...' thread. Soon. I've been away. Again.).

Jack J

Jared
Member Avatar
Star Member
I shall kiss thy ring, Your Highness! And by "Your Highness" I am referring to your propensity for dopesmoking. But be forewarned, a coup waits in the wings ...
Worldweird Cinema

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply