Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Got something to say about Asian movies
Topic Started: Sep 26 2007, 03:30 PM (10,320 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Not sure if it's the right place, but anyone got any recommendations for me? I love gritty HK crime dramas/heroic bloodsheds, and wonders if anyone knows of an hidden gem la "City on Fire", "The Big Heat" or "On the Run"? "School on Fire" is similar to what I search for, but it'd prefer something more... traditional if you will, less kids and more darkness hehe. Haven't seen much of John Woo - "Bullet in the Head" is on the way - but as much as I like his style, here I'm looking for something more gritty, more realistic. Not that I wouldn't want other recommendations, but this type of HK crime movies is what I prefer most so far.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them!

I'm really a big fan of the style, saw quite a bit of them since I posted here. Long Arm of the Law, The Longest Nite, Full Alert and Tiger Cage are among my faves. I was surprised by the rare The Most Wanted too.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Takuma
Feb 11 2012, 10:04 AM

Try the Shaw Brothers film Men from the Gutter. A forgotten, hard boiled action/crime classic that I always recommend people to check out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seem the film! Pretty neat indeed, thanks for the rec!

Jack, HK Video got On the Run remastered uncut, but it's not english friendly. Haven't got it so I can't comment. I heard the Joy Sales vcd is uncut too, anyone can confirm? I'm thinking of getting that hk video dvd, but if the vcd looks fine, I could save the money.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

bubikoglu
Oct 19 2012, 09:14 PM

The Joy Sales VCD of On The Run is definitely cut and missing the scene with the doctor at the end plus the epilogue.

The French DVD is fully uncut. It's not English friendly but I made a custom English subtitled version of it about a year ago.

I love this film and rate it up there as one of the very best HK new wave action movies. Hard hitting, gritty and no nonsense.

Cool, thanks for the info. How does the french dvd looks like? I heard good and bad comments on it, I guess it can't be worse than the megastar? (or was it the deltamac version I watched...)
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Asian Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply