Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to THE CINEHOUND FORUM: Dedicated to Bill Barounis (RIP). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turkish DEATH WISH !!
Topic Started: Apr 10 2008, 07:25 PM (2,596 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Fascinating information as always Ayman.
What releases are available of Buyuk Kin and Namusum Icin?
Sounds like the sort of stuff that would fit nicely in my collection. ;)
And revenge sure seems to have been an important theme for turkish filmmakers, or at least that's the impression I've gotten from most of my Arkin kick-ass action films.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

HunterfromtheFuture
May 23 2008, 04:14 PM
Fascinating information as always Ayman.
What releases are available of Buyuk Kin and Namusum Icin?
Sounds like the sort of stuff that would fit nicely in my collection. ;)
And revenge sure seems to have been an important theme for turkish filmmakers, or at least that's the impression I've gotten from most of my Arkin kick-ass action films.

Yes honor and revenge are definately the biggest themes of Turkish action cinema.
Quote Post Goto Top

Aymanoglu
Unregistered

How are you YOR (Hunter from the Future)?

Unfortunately BUYUK KIN and NAMUSUM ICIN did not get VHS or DVD releases. I have nice and clean TV broadcast copies only.

In particular BUYUK KIN was taped when I was overseas in 2002. It played at midnight so it is uncut. It's very brutal for 1967, and I believe it got itself into a bit of trouble with the censorship board and banned in Turkey when released!

Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Aymanoglu
May 24 2008, 05:55 AM
In particular BUYUK KIN was taped when I was overseas in 2002. It played at midnight so it is uncut. It's very brutal for 1967, and I believe it got itself into a bit of trouble with the censorship board and banned in Turkey when released!

Ayman, when I lived down under in the 90s it was way before I got into Turkish cinema so I never noticed how much was shown on SBS (which is the "ethnic" tv channel in Australia). So tell me, how good have they been in regards to showing Turkish films (obviously I'm talking about the more trashy films you and I are into :D )?? It's always puzzled me that (as far as I know) not very many of these tv broadcasts turned up on bootleg in the US, after all they would all have been subtitled in English.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

hmm seems like i would be interested in these subtitled versions
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jack J
May 24 2008, 02:53 PM
Aymanoglu
May 24 2008, 05:55 AM

Ayman, when I lived down under in the 90s it was way before I got into Turkish cinema so I never noticed how much was shown on SBS (which is the "ethnic" tv channel in Australia). So tell me, how good have they been in regards to showing Turkish films (obviously I'm talking about the more trashy films you and I are into :D )?? It's always puzzled me that (as far as I know) not very many of these tv broadcasts turned up on bootleg in the US, after all they would all have been subtitled in English.

Jack

I am sure Ayman knows better but I am pretty sure most of the Turkish films aired on SBS was art films or dramas.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jack J
Member Avatar
Superstar Member
Linus
May 24 2008, 10:56 PM
I am sure Ayman knows better but I am pretty sure most of the Turkish films aired on SBS was art films or dramas.

Why would you think that? While I was there I taped stuff like rare HK action and horror movies. They showed the original Godzilla movie from '54 many years before it was released on video anywhere subbed in English. I have a fully uncut Italian language SBS print of Bloody Pit of Horror. Can you even get that on DVD.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jack J
May 24 2008, 09:51 PM
Linus
May 24 2008, 10:56 PM
I am sure Ayman knows better but I am pretty sure most of the Turkish films aired on SBS was art  films or dramas.

Why would you think that? While I was there I taped stuff like rare HK action and horror movies. They showed the original Godzilla movie from '54 many years before it was released on video anywhere subbed in English. I have a fully uncut Italian language SBS print of Bloody Pit of Horror. Can you even get that on DVD.

Jack

It is just a guess from my side. But HK and Italian horror/action cinema seemed to be more popular to SBS than the rest of world cinema. In fact most of SBS copies have been art movies like Elio Petri's Todo Modo and the like. But I could be wrong and very happy to be so :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Aymanoglu
Unregistered

Hi Jack, yes you are right. I remember in the 90s SBS used to put on some mighty fine flicks - especially from Italy. A few giallos, quite a few spaghetti westerns, and a few peplums (although this died out). For example I remember watching TROJAN WAR with Steve Reeves in original Italian and in Widescreen. Those were the good old days indeed.

Sadly not much trace of it.

As Linus pointed out, in the last fifteen years or so, SBS has mainly been concerned with arty flicks or social dramas from Turkey. In other words, films even the Turkish community here won't be bothered watching (since we have cable TV from Turkey, and Turkish stores who bootleg entire TV series and rent them out for $2 a tape).

But, hold your horses - the 80s were a good time for Turkish films on SBS!
I have an erotic film, a violent arabesk film, a pessimistic thriller/drama - all shown during the 80s, and of course all subtitled!

They even showed a Turist Omer type comedy film from the 70s, and I have that one too!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Ok...now I understand what you guys meant with Turkish movies!
A whole new world has just opened up for me!

Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Turkish Movies · Next Topic »
Add Reply